What to Try Next?

My mothers dog, Radar is having some issues. He has allergies that seem to be exacerbated by his food, though testing was inconclusive. He was very itchy and pink like a lobster when he was on the crappy quality food. When we switched to Canidae, he did better, but still got pink on occasion. He also started licking his little paws a lot. We are currently on Barking at the Moon, which has resulted in the worst gas anyone has ever smelled.
Radar is 10 years old and a poodle/? mix. Mom does not want to try raw for him, so what is my next best option?

Bailey08

Has his vet talked to you about going on an allergen free diet? Or doing a more traditional elimination diet?

If it were my dog, I would most likely go the elimination diet route and figure out what he's sensitive to. There are also low allergen prescription foods that you could try.

Have you tried using a food with a single protein source?

This is often the best bet for dogs who have a lot of allergies.

Also look for a food with Duck as the protien source, it is good for dogs with allergies.

FROMM duck and sweet potato.

Natural Balance Duck and Sweet Potato.

He has been on an elimination diet, and nothing seemed to trigger the pinkness, but once he was back on regular dog food, it came back.
He doesn't have mange either. I'll try a duck based food.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
You might try Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit formula or Nature's Variety Instinct Duck formula.

Bailey08

He has been on an elimination diet, and nothing seemed to trigger the pinkness, but once he was back on regular dog food, it came back.
He doesn't have mange either. I'll try a duck based food.
What did he eat when he was on the elimination diet? I'd use whatever that protein source (and carb) was. I wouldn't introduce a new novel protein yet; it doesn't seem necessary (and I like to "save" some novel proteins in case they're needed later). I wouldn't switch him back to another protein source/his old food; there are some affordable single protein options, like Natural Balance.

Members online

No members online now.