hyper dog going nutso

antipunt1

:p so this is interesting..

my puppy is CRAZY. What happens is usually she's calm and sleeps, and or is licks and bites kindly. But sometimes it goes crazy like a personality switch. It's usually triggered via napping and/or being in the grass. The Second Cali is in the grass, she starts spinning around, and I don't know what to do, because I don't know how to play with it when its hyper.

#1. Any suggestions on 'good play?'. I'm not exactly sure how to play with her. And if I play 'aggressive', isn't that bad b/c it reinforces aggressive play? I try tossing a tennis ball but she looks like she's destroying it :yikes:
Also, I try to wave my arms or try to pet it on the go, but she BECOMES FEROCIOUS. [her eyes get all scary], and she looks like she's attacking me! this night, she bit me quite hard!

#2. Second question is did I treat the biting correctly? I yelped a loud owe and quickly sent her into a time out room. How long should this be? I waited about 1.5 minutes. I send her into the time-out room whenever she performs a 'flagrant foul'. Other times I just cross my arms and turn my back. But how long should this be also? I usually wait around 20 seconds or less.

I have no idea how to play with it when its hyper (it looks like it got high off of LSD when in the grass). It ignores its chew toys like she's bored of them. In addition, what's with this hard biting! Unacceptable! I took her to the time out room, but I've been practicing 'bite inhibition', I thought she'd be catching on by now!

#3 : PS: she almost completely ignores her puppy kong. I'm disappointed, I thought it would intrigue her a bit more than 20 seconds..

Thanks for the help! :)

Maxy24

By going crazy do you mean she runs around like a crazed rabid fool?

If so those are called zoomies, the animal momentarily (or longer) looses all control lol (or at least it looks that way). They are fun and the dog gets to expend pent up energy and you get to laugh. Max would have them but he would not bite (he was not a puppy when I remember him) he would jump so we stayed out of his way. Phoebe will bite so we keep our hands away from her face. we cheer her on though by clapping hands stomping feet and laughing our heads off. I don't really try to play I just let them run it off.

Now of she bites during the actual zoomies (while running)you can try a few things and see which one the dog responds to. I might first try leaving the room and closing the door. if she stops, good, if not try a different method. Never try and grab the zooming dog, unless you are grabbing a leash, they tend to get nippy so try using methods that don't involve grabbing (unless your pooch does not seem to mind). Perhaps blocking her way could work, or she might think it's a game, it really depends on the dog.

Now for playing, use toys, I use plush toys (stuffed animals) that are easy for them to carry because they like to grab them and run with them, I also like tug but you shouldn't play that until the dog knows "drop-it". I don't think I would ever use my hands during zoomies as the dog has a really hard time controlling himself in that time. If you want to teach her how hard is too hard (letting her mouth so long as zero pressure is applied) then play with your hands but not during zoomies, only normal excitement. As soon as pressure is applied remove yourself from playing with her and turn your back on her. Yelping is optional as it can make some dogs MORE excited.

If you use time outs (the only reason I don't is because it can take quite a while to actually bring the dog to time-out, maybe if you use a word as soon as the dog does it that earns the dog earned a time out (like reverse clicker training) it would work out) then your time was fine, 1-2 minutes is good. with back turning it's usually until the dog calms down or finds a toy to use instead (performs good behavior).

If she bites "on the fly" (when running by) try having a few plush or rope toys (if she likes them) toys around you. Hold one so if she comes by and looks like she wants to grab you hold out and wiggle the toy so she might go for that instead. Then pick up one of the other one near you in case she comes back for round two lol.

Does she ignore the kong if it's full with kibble, plain yogurt, cottage cheese etc.? Many dogs pay no attention to an empty kong, only full ones, which is why it tends to be used at times when you need the dog to settle down while you eat dinner or something.

antipunt1

thank you very much; totally hit the bullseyes in terms of useful information.

I should've known these were those infamous 'zoomies'! Now I understand why she goes jekyl/hyde. I should just leave my hands away from her and let her zoom I guess; its good for her b/c its fun and its good for us b/c I'm sure she's burning ALL THAT energy while she's doing it. I like the suggestion to just let it do its business while its zooming; I'd prefer not to be near her biting mouth during her episodes! Thx explains a lot.

Regarding the kong, I bought the little kong biscuits that you stuff into the little pink puppy kong. They look like snowmen where you stuff in the fat part first. I usually stuff 1-2 treats in with the snowman's small head sticking out, is that too little? [though I'm not sure if there's any more room to put any more].

PS: what do you think the optimal time interval is for picking it up after it stops whining? I'm learning from you guys that its very dangerous to pick it up too early b/c it'd associate its whining with good things. I usually wait 5-10 seconds of silence, do you think thats enough?

THANKS AGAIN

PSS: those videos are cute lol! And yes, that's what our puppy looks like. Actually...i think those puppies are crazier :D

lizzybeth727

Regarding the kong, I usually stuff 1-2 treats in with the snowman's small head sticking out, is that too little?
She may be ignoring the kong because she just isn't crazy about those biscuits. I THINK I've tried giving them to my dog and she wasn't crazy about them either. You could try stuffing other stuff into the kong to entice her to play with it. Check out kong's website, there are a few recipe ideas there.

PS: what do you think the optimal time interval is for picking it up after it stops whining? I usually wait 5-10 seconds of silence, do you think thats enough?
5-10 seconds sounds fine to me. Keep in mind, though, that you should be COMPLETELY ignoring your puppy while she's whining and for the 5-10 seconds after she stops. This means don't walk into the room, or if you're already there, don't look at her or even make a move toward her. Whining gets her NOTHING.

antipunt1

thx lizzy for the confirmation on the 5-10 seconds. sometimes I even have my back completely turned.

and good info on the kong, i suspected as much as well. it usually has a tough time with this pink bulb shape; it might be frustrating it too much and causes it to give up
thx!

Members online

No members online now.