Walk or carry to potty?

Goddard

Hi all,

For a 10 week old puppy should I expect the puppy to be able to follow me from his crate to the outside peeing/pooping area or should I plan on carrying him until he gets a little older? What about in the middle of the night?

Thanks!
Goddard

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
I'd recommend carrying your puppy to the potty area, at least for a little while longer. My puppies are right around 15 weeks old now and I'm just now starting to let them walk to their potty area (mainly because they're getting too big to carry! LOL). If I would have let them follow me, or walk on a leash, I know they would have gone potty on the way outside.

Bailey08

I usually carry my puppy (he's ~3 months old) -- I figured out pretty quickly that he would pee on the floor on his way out if I didn't (and since we're in a high rise, he has a ways to go before he gets outside). He whines and wiggles the whole way. :rolleyes:

I also carry them from their crate, straight outside.

I put them down right in the area I want them to go, and praise them well when they do.

I put them down right in the area I want them to go, and praise them well when they do.
Exactly the method I have always used.

It is true that if you make young puppies walk they are likely to just pee on the way! Don't worry, carrying them to their potty spot will not compromise their housebreaking. They can walk to the spot once they are a bit older and have more control.

M

MyHorseMyRules

I start with what RC said. Then, I slowly transition into them walking outside. I start with carrying them, then carry them part of the way and run with them the rest of the way, then have them run with me from the crate to the door, then run part of the way and walk the rest, then finally walk all the way. It takes a long time, but I think it's worth it.

maple

Queen of the Jungle
i agree with what the others have said about carrying your pup outside to where you want them to pee -that way they learn where to go, and not to go pee on their way there.....sets them up for success if you eliminate their chances for having an 'oops'.

:D

Gypsydals

Puppies here are usually carried out the first week or so, then carried to the front door, put down either outside of the door or at the bottom of the steps depending on how big they are or if they can navigate the steps. After a week or so of doing that, they walk all the way on their own. Once they are big enough they start out the back door into the kennel. The first few times I will carry them down the steps but then they are on their own after that.

Members online

No members online now.