I am out of ideas

kalija

Repeat after me, Zuki is a really sweet dog. Zuki is a really sweet dog. BUT........
At nine months he is still very "mouthy". He plays too rough with our 11 yr old gsd, Dutchess. He ignores my commands if I don't have a clicker and treat bag in hand. He is a big chicken if I take him on walks alone, barks at everything under the sun, and I mean anything. "Oh no, Mom, there's a leaf on the sidewalk, woof woof, oh a tree, wolf wolf, oh no, a fire hydrant, a garbage can, and on and on. (When both dogs are walking toghether he's fine.) Another dog sends him into a panic if we are alone, trying to hide behind me, but if Dutchie is with us he turns into a belligerant, loud maniac. I'm sure my nieghbors hate me.
The mouthing is just annoying, he doesn't bite to cause pain, and it is not aggressive. I try to yip loudly like it hurts and he just looks at me like he's thinking, "But I was gentle, whats your problem" He never does this to our 2yr old son, only me and hubby. Its kind of like he's trying to hold your hand.
The rough play with Dutchie doesn't seem like it bothers her, but she's old, so I don't like to let it go on too long. He is constantly jumping on her, biting the fur on her neck, and trying to mount her. (he is neutered - I'm sure its just play) I have been trying to teach him the command "Quit", but again, if I don't happen to have the clicker and treats, he ignores it. I've been trailing a leash on him so I can separate them.
I am sure this is all exasperated because its been raining non-stop here, so my yard is a big mudhole, and I can't let them run back there like usual. I've tried to step up walks to get him more excersize, but the barking is a problem, and I have no clue how to fix it. Like I said, he is a sweet dog, he is so gentle with our son, I can't beleive it. But I don't know what else I can do. He has been to puppy class, and did well. He is super smart. He is sensitive so only positive things seem to work with him, thats why I use the clicker. With 2 dogs though, sometimes its hard to use it. Basically I am out of new ideas, so I'm hoping someone can throw me some hope. Is this all puppy stuff he will grow out of?
Sorry for the super long, rambling post!

elegy

overdogged
it really sounds like he's got too much energy and it's getting him into trouble. is there anywhere you can take him to let him run? empty tennis courts or something? also, thinking games (find it, teaching tricks, etc) can help tire a dog out when physical exercise isn't a good option.

i'd be putting him in time-outs if he were mine. he gets too mouthy, the fun stops and he goes into a time out (i use a down/stay). he plays too rough with your other dog, again, down/stay, and when you release him, give him something else fun to do.

Doberluv

If you're using a clicker, I recommend you learn more about it. What it sounds like has happened is that you've conditioned him to only comply when you have a clicker and treat in your hand. You need to teach him that when you don't have those things in your hand, that's when he gets the treat. I reommend you read the book Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. She will really show you where your mistakes are and how to correct a lot of common errors.

I agree that some good running will help him settle down and yes, end all playtime (remove the reinforcer) for behavior you don't want. Make it so it does not pay off to act that way but that it does pay off to give you the behavior you want.

More structure, more exercise. (mind and body)

kalija

Yes, you are both probably right. He definetely needs more excersize. We used to play ball for hours in the backyard, this rain is killing me! I haven't read Culture clash yet - its been on my list but I haven't found it yet.
Doberluv, how do I teach him that? Should I stop using the clicker altogether? (Sorry if thats a stupid question)
Thanks for the help, I am just getting frustrated, it seems like this pup has such potential and I'm afraid I am ruining him!

sourjayne

My pup was starting to bark at everyone and everything when out on walks, so what I started doing was taking a bunch of kibble/treats when we went out, then giving him a treat as soon as someone was in sight (but before he started barking.) He would focus on the treat and hardly give a notice to the person he would normally bark at. I'd pump out the treats as long as the person was in sight, then continue the walk when they were gone.

This helps the dog feel more comfortable with people/dogs around. If he's spooked by birds/leaves/whatever, just keep a steady stream of treats going as you're walking along. It should hopefully turn his focus to you rather than to what's around, and he will start feeling more comfortable on walks.

Now I can take my pup out and he still might bark at people, but it's usually just a little "gruff" that only I can hear. Soon I hope we'll even get rid of that :)

Members online

No members online now.