Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

Romy

Taxiderpy
So I have a VERY light khaki colored (mostly clear) discharge coming out... Is that normal?
Probably, you can get a whole rainbow of colors throughout the pregnancy. What you'd be concerned about is if it's dark brown, bright bright red, pink (though pink can be normal so don't panic), if it smells awful (possible infection), or if you're having a lot of contractions and it's any of the above colors.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Has anyone had root beer help their morning sickness?

Yesterday, my dad brought my mom fast food, and got me a root beer *shrugs*. I took a few sips of it and OH MY GOD IT WAS A BEVERAGE SENT DOWN FROM HEAVEN ABOVE. I actually ate some fries and half a chicken sandwich with it.

My doctors are all "yeah just eat whatever you can keep down"...but what happens when that's massive amounts of sugary root beer and cherry slushies? I don't drink soda, more or less ever, and consuming this much sugar seriously weirds me out.

I thought about trying to cut the root beer with club soda or something, but I don't think that would be very good, or have the same effect. Yesterday I drank a very large ("medium") fountain root beer and an enormous ("small") cherry icee. I don't think I've consumed that much sugar in the past two years of my life combined.
Have you tried diet rootbeer?

but yeah sugary soda is better than nothing at all

Romy

Taxiderpy
I'd just go with the sugary rootbeer. Sugar's not ideal and can cause too much weigh gain, but it sounds like any calories are good calories at this point.

Also, artificial sweeteners cross the placental barrier really easily, and linger in the developing fetus for hours. Much much much longer than in an adult human's body. The effects of that haven't been studied yet. I'll see if I can find a link about it. I think they found it was something like 9 hours after you eat them it's still in the baby.

milos_mommy

Yeah, I know aspartame and stuff is considered safe in pregnancy but I'd be more worried about that than real sugar. Yeah, any calories I can get are good calories, and weight gain isn't a concern, but that much sugar can't be a very good thing.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I think you probably just need to pick your battles. what are you more worried about? the sugar or no calories? You can't worry about every little thing. I know it's hard not to but you are going to worry yourself to death

I would personally not use fake sweeteners. If possible, try a natural root beer. There are pretty many around, either made with real sugar or even better, stevia.

milos_mommy

I have an EDNOS based on paranoia about food, so it's pretty much impossible for me not to worry about it. I see a nutritionist every two weeks, though, so I can ask after Thanksgiving or even call her.

I'm not sure if getting barely any nutrition/calories is worse or sucking down ounce after ounce of syrupy sugary soda is worse. I'm trying to limit how much of it I'm drinking and just sip it if I get nauseous, and I'm actually able to keep food down if I drink root beer with it, so I guess getting some nutrients other than just straight root beer makes me feel better.

I will go look for root beer with stevia or more natural sugar, though. I didn't think of that.

milos_mommy

I was just looking that up online actually :cool: I might try it, it takes a few days to carbonate, though.

Ginger is very good for for nausea as well. You do have to be careful to not take in in excess, like not taking the stronger extracts, but a cup or two of ginger tea (or ginger ale) is fine.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I'm actually able to keep food down if I drink root beer with it, so I guess getting some nutrients other than just straight root beer makes me feel better.
It's worth a call to your nutritionist, but I'm willing to bet she'll agree with you here. I had a nutritionist helping out during my pregnancy because of the severe nausea and celiac disease.

One of the very few foods I could stomach was Reese's PB cups. I ate sooo many of those because it was all I could keep down. I tried making homemade and eating natural ones, but none of them were salty enough. :eek:

Anyway, she said that at that point, calorie count was waaay more important that quality. That once I could keep food down we'd work on improving the quality of calories but until then I just needed to make sure I ate enough to stop losing weight.

FWIW, there were no weight or sugar related problems with the pregnancy. He did have a higher birth weight (9 lbs) but aside from some complications with a rough delivery (cord around his neck and aspirated fluid) was totally fine and healthy afterward. I was also back to my pre pregnancy weight in under a month.

Everybody is different so double check.

jenv101

Bite Club
So I have a VERY light khaki colored (mostly clear) discharge coming out... Is that normal?
Yes just as others have said. It will stick around the entire time too so stock up on liners! I noticed on days I was feeling especially crappy in the first tri, it was a bit heavier on those days too.

My client looked at my bump today, asked how far along I was, then told me I was really big and to not forget to exercise. Uhhhhh, thanks?

This is my bump at 14 weeks:

Barbara!

Oh yeah, you're definitely going to get unsolicited comments... And I am so jealous of your bump! I'm pudgy, so I might not show for a while..

Taqroy

My client looked at my bump today, asked how far along I was, then told me I was really big and to not forget to exercise. Uhhhhh, thanks?
o_O

I seriously boggle about some of the things people say. Why is it okay to say things to pregnant women you wouldn't say to anyone else? That lady is crazy, your bump is adorable.

Paige

Let it be
All I could eat with Briggs for 6 months was plain brown rice.

Everyone shows differently. I was small and people were acting like my babies were going to die. That looks like a normal bump for 14 weeks to me.

Snuggling my big boy today.

jenv101

Bite Club
Yeah people say the weirdest things. I got told a couple of weeks ago that I looked like I was due in dec (instead of feb). What do they expect in reply to something like that? Lol. I think you look great!

Thanks ladies! It's my first so I feel big but my coworker was the same. My sister on the other hand was about this big when she gave birth so I wasn't sure what to expect...

Either way, I found it funny. I am pretty comfortable with my body and obsessed with this bump so it didn't bother me.

milos_mommy

Your bump is so cute! I'm so jealous, I'm almost 12 weeks and look more or less the same as I did six months ago :(

Briggs is such a lil cutie, I love his outfit and his hair is so sweet.

Taqroy

Paige, Briggs is adorable. And his hair is awesome and I love it.

My brother gave me his cold. :( At least I only have today and tomorrow left of work.

Members online

No members online now.