Girl, Age 9, Gives Birth in Mexico

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
This is too sad :(

By Anne Laurent:

A 9-year-old Mexican girl, under the reported name of Dafne, gave birth to a baby girl on Jan. 27, 2013 in Jalisco, Mexico.

Both mother and child are at home and healthy, Dr. Enrique Rabago, director of Zoquipan Hospital, said at a press conference this morning.

The search continues, according to authorities, for the baby's 17-year-old father, who may be criminally charged for having a sexual relationship with Dafne.

"Due to her young age, we don't know if she is being entirely truthful," says Lino Ginzalez Corona, spokesperson at Jalisco State Prosecutor's Office, who received an account of the relationship from the young mother who describes a loving relationship.

According to Corona, the 17-year-old and Dafne were dating but the young girl is unwilling to release any further information regarding the association between the two.

"She did not realize that she was pregnant until the seventh month," said Corona. Her boyfriend suggested Dafne move in with him and to raise the child together but when the young mother refused, her boyfriend "decided to leave town two months ago," says Corona.

State authorities are searching for the father of the child to acquire his own account of what occurred between the two. The prosecutor's office in the state of Jalisco said they are willing to request cooperation from neighboring state authorities if necessary.

Corona says the state prosecutor is "still open to the possibility of rape or child sex abuse."

Dafne, who is one of 11 children, lives in Ixtlahuacan de los Membrillos, a poverty-stricken neighborhood 25 miles south of Guadalajara. "Her parents work all day and were not watching after her," says Corona, "and therefore didn't realize what was about to happen."

The girl was given a C-Section at the time of the birth. "Due to her young age and to the fact that her body was not ready to give birth," says Rabago, "the medical team decided a C-Section was the best option" for both mother and child.

Rabago said at the press conference that Dafne will be receiving both medical and psychological attention.

Last year, in Zoquipan Hospital, around 25 percent of the pregnancies were among teens.
http://abcnews.go.com/m/blogEntry?id=18422388

LauraLeigh

I keep trying to wrap my head around the fact that this child is barley a year older than Lauren, my friends daughter where we are staying... Who plays with My Little Pony and Dolls..... Can't imagine it, can't get my head around it....

milos_mommy

It's sad, but it's really not that uncommon for girls that age to get pregnant after sexual abuse. And she is, by far, not the youngest girl to have a baby.

I was looking into this a few months ago after I read about a girl who had birthed a live and healthy baby at age 5, and was quite shocked. There is a fairly lengthy recorded list of girls under the age of 10 having babies...mostly from sexual abuse, but a good few after "experimenting" with boys close in age to them.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
It's sad, but it's really not that uncommon for girls that age to get pregnant after sexual abuse. And she is, by far, not the youngest girl to have a baby.

I was looking into this a few months ago after I read about a girl who had birthed a live and healthy baby at age 5, and was quite shocked. There is a fairly lengthy recorded list of girls under the age of 10 having babies...mostly from sexual abuse, but a good few after "experimenting" with boys close in age to them.
To get pregnant you must be ... Er... Having your "monthly gift" right? Is it normal for girls to get their first periods that young? I got mine At 12

milos_mommy

To get pregnant you must be ... Er... Having your "monthly gift" right? Is it normal for girls to get their first periods that young? I got mine At 12
It's not at all uncommon for girls who are 8 or 9 to start periods, especially in today's age (IMO it likely has something to do with all the hormones added to foods these days, but I don't think that's proven). I don't think it was ever really unheard of or uncommon for girls to start periods at 9 or 10.

And there are various medical conditions or just an unexplained phenomenon that can cause girls to menstruate (and ovulate) at as young as a few months old.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah I saw this the other day then saw the youngest girl to give birth was FIVE. I can't even wrap my head around that. It's so sad for those little girls.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I am absolutely angry, disgusted, sad.

WHY WHY WHY would the parents allow this pregnancy to go to term? Is motherhood and pregnancy truly what is best for a 9 year old child who was sexually abused?! (yes, having sex with a 9 year old is abuse. period. she is a child who is in no way mature enough to understand what sex is or the consequences. A 17 year old should know that, that is ABUSE.)
Her body is just starting to develop, the whole thing could have killed her! Not to mention the mental repercussions.
How will she got to school? how will her body continue to change? How will she face her peers? This will affect the rest of her life. A constant reminder of the abuse.

(Why is a rhetorical questions. I can think of many reasons why one might let this happen. I just think they are all wrong.)

WHY WHY WHY would the parents allow this pregnancy to go to term? Is motherhood and pregnancy truly what is best for a 9 year old child who was sexually abused?! (yes, having sex with a 9 year old is abuse. period. she is a child who is in no way mature enough to understand what sex is or the consequences. A 17 year old should know that, that is ABUSE.)
Her body is just starting to develop, the whole thing could have killed her! Not to mention the mental repercussions.
How will she got to school? how will her body continue to change? How will she face her peers? This will affect the rest of her life. A constant reminder of the abuse.

(Why is a rhetorical questions. I can think of many reasons why one might let this happen. I just think they are all wrong.)
Mexico.

Catholic country.

Illegal in so many circumstances.

LauraLeigh

Not that it makes any of it better, by any means, but I think I read they didn't know until the 7th month? That may explain it, and I'm not sure what the abortion laws are there... Though if she'd been my child and I knew early enough I would have tried everything in my power to get her to a country that would help....

milos_mommy

In almost every case I've ever seen of a girl this young or younger having a baby, the family did not know until very close to the birth.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Ok among other outrages...
This NINE year old feels she has a relationship with this 17 year old and won't give his name...
HELLO PARENTS? ARE YOU THERE? The
Child is NINE. You don't KNOW what this child is
Doing or te 17 year old she has a "relationship" with? This doesn't seem to be q case of rape as in one time and voila she is pregnant. It was a "relationship"? How do you drop the ball
So badly that your 9 year old child has a "relationship" with a guy twice her age and you have no idea who he is?

I get the blame lies on the abuser but seriously... Parents STOP BEING FRIENDS and start being accountable for your childs life. If this happened and I was the parent... My guilt would be unbelievable. I
Would feel like a total failure as a parent.

As for how will this child go on... I assume the parents will raise the child as a sibling or an adoptive family will be found.

I find it concerning that 9 year olds consider RELATIONSHIPS and sexual interactions.

This is NOT victim blaming but i feel in our society we are Over sexualizing children and leading them to pressures to give it up to anyone you may kind of like maybe sorta.

It sounds like in this case it was not the parents being "friends" but that they were probably working and not available. Sad fate for many poor communities is the children get left behind because the parents have no choice but to be gone for most of the day working. Not saying that is ok either but I dont think it sounds like a case of not caring.

CaliTerp07

It sounds like in this case it was not the parents being "friends" but that they were probably working and not available. Sad fate for many poor communities is the children get left behind because the parents have no choice but to be gone for most of the day working. Not saying that is ok either but I dont think it sounds like a case of not caring.
This. I work with low income 13/14 year olds (obviously older than 9 year olds, but still children), and so many of them are just desperate for attention. Mom and Dad care and are trying to be the best parents they can be, but they just aren't around much due to working multiple jobs, having to take a multi-hour bus ride to get to work, etc. It's the choice between putting food on the table or spending time with the kids.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Ok among other outrages...
This NINE year old feels she has a relationship with this 17 year old and won't give his name...
HELLO PARENTS? ARE YOU THERE? The
Child is NINE. You don't KNOW what this child is
Doing or te 17 year old she has a "relationship" with? This doesn't seem to be q case of rape as in one time and voila she is pregnant. It was a "relationship"? How do you drop the ball
So badly that your 9 year old child has a "relationship" with a guy twice her age and you have no idea who he is?

I get the blame lies on the abuser but seriously... Parents STOP BEING FRIENDS and start being accountable for your childs life. If this happened and I was the parent... My guilt would be unbelievable. I
Would feel like a total failure as a parent.

As for how will this child go on... I assume the parents will raise the child as a sibling or an adoptive family will be found.

I find it concerning that 9 year olds consider RELATIONSHIPS and sexual interactions.

This is NOT victim blaming but i feel in our society we are Over sexualizing children and leading them to pressures to give it up to anyone you may kind of like maybe sorta.
1. that 17 year old needs to be found and convicted for child abuse/sexual assault and needs psychiatric help ..that much I agree with. I don't care what the pretense for this RAPE was, it was rape. I don't care if she saw it as a relationship, she is a CHILD. And those parents need to sit that child down and get a name. Any almost adult who is OK With having sex/a relationship with a child that age needs to be stopped.

2. As much as I agree about the parents not WATCHING their kids and being more observant parents.. it also could be an issue of poverty, parents working all day/night kind of thing.. perhaps they weren't around due to necessity.

3. For me, this isn't only about over-sexualizing.This is about EDUCATION. Especially in catholic countries, sex education is scarce "DONT DO IT DONT DO IT DONT DO IT ITS WRONG YOU WILL GO TO HELL" does not do ANYTHING to teach young people about what it is, why it is, how it works.

A child who does not know what sex is, how children are created, what the risks are, how their body works, that sexual feelings are normal, how to prevent these risks, and REALISTIC timelines and times to wait..
is only learning 1) ITS WRONG JESUS GO TO HELL from church and 2) IT'S FUN OMG SEX SEX SEX from the media and their peers.

They in many cases begin menstration and only learn that their bodies and sexual feelings are shameful and wrong. By not being educated about sex.. they don't know what to do. DON'T DO IT BECAUSE!! doesn't work. Their bodies react, there are feelings..they don't know what is normal, why isn't not wrong, how to deal with it because NOBODY has taught them.

Over-sexualizing is a problem with young children, certainly. We have 9 year olds who wear high heels and skip around in bikinis at pageants in front of adults.
but education is a bigger problem.

Victim blaming would be saying that this is the little girls fault. Which it isn't. It's societies fault for not educating her about sex, it's that boys fault for taking advantage of her, it's her parents fault for not watching her and teaching her themselves.
But to blame a 9 year old child for her abuse would be wrong.

LilahRoot

This is just heart wrenching to read. That poor little girl, and that poor baby who's life most probably won't be any better than it's mother's. :(

Members online

No members online now.