Obama Supports Same-Sex Marriage

~Tucker&Me~

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/obama-sex-marriage-legal-16312904

In case the video doesn't play for you, here are the two main quotes:

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married."
“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational. You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.â
:hail:

Lyzelle

Enlightened just in time to make it an election issue, yay.
Actually it was probably because South Carolina just voted to ban it through their State constitution the day prior.

Either way, a step forward is a step forward. I think it's high time this country stops acting like neanderthals.

Actually it was probably because South Carolina just voted to ban it through their State constitution the day prior.

Either way, a step forward is a step forward. I think it's high time this country stops acting like neanderthals.
Thought it was North Carolina? A solidly Obama state in 08. They aught to love his stance on this.

Get Gov out of the marriage business and be done with it.

Lyzelle

Was it North? It was one of them. I was probably thinking "South" and then typed it.

And politics never make sense.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
It was North Carolina and Biden . . . his hand basically was forced.

I'm not sure this will hurt him in NC . . . they put this issue up during the primary for a reason . . . they thought it would be a hotly contested GOP primary and they would all come out . . . well, it wasn't that, and almost no one came out . . . except people who feel really, really strongly about gay marriage . . . and most of the people who feel really, really strongly are either a) gay or b) fanatically opposed.

why should the gov't get out of marriage? Marriage has been a legally binding contract for centuries all over the world. it has some pretty major legal implications regarding property divisions, death benefits, custody issues, process in which credit and debt is managed, tax issues, etc. all sorts of legal issues, so just why is it that gov't should get out of marriage?

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
A lot of people will "Rah! Rah!" about this and I reckon they should.

But all he did was confirm what has already been happening. That this is a issue for the states to decide and they have been doing so.

I know a lot of you like Obama because he is "cool", but he is nothing more than any other slimy politician, saying what he neds to say to get re-elected and then ignore us again.

Le Sigh..... So, "Hooray", The President thinks gay people can get married. How about the economy dude? The unemployment number getting "lower" is NOT because of the reason you want it too.... How about almost 350,000 women dropping out of the workforce in the last 2 months? What say ye there?

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
If he says something about one thing he will be crucified for not saying something about another thing. Its the way it always goes.

I don't like him because he is "cool". I like him because he seems intelligent, grounded and has a good head on his shoulders.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Frankly, I don't much care one way or another what Obama thinks about gay marriage. Considering that he flipped his view when he ran for President, I figured he was lying about opposing it . . . and as you pointed out, its happening on its own. He can hardly legalize it nationwide on his own. He can try to get the executive branch to stop enforcing DOMA, but theoretically, that's already happening.

But having the President of the United States (whether its Obama or anyone else) come out on their side is a huge symbolic victory. And they're right on that, actually. It is official recognition that their position is not beyond the pale, that it is, in fact, mainstream or close to it (as the polls indicate).

Obama's worth, or lack there of, as a President is pretty much beside the point. He did it because his hand was forced and it was more politically advantageous to come out in support than oppose it (and it is . . . it will now be an election issue, and the opposition is extremely good at looking like foaming bigots). He has supported it before . . . he didn't evolve, he's just telling the truth of what he's always thought.

However, that the President supports gay marriage . . . that IS a big deal. Whether or not you like it, the person holding the Presidency is more than just themselves.

And gay people getting married is not a non issue. I've become very aware of the injustice of denying them the rights other couples have. Is it an issue on par with the economy? No. But it is an important issue . . . and I am appalled the phrasing used by NC, which doesn't just prohibit gay marriage, but goes out of its way to stick it to gay couples who want to work through private contract. Like it or not, that's an issue of basic freedoms, and the President should speak out.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
However, that the President supports gay marriage . . . that IS a big deal. Whether or not you like it, the person holding the Presidency is more than just themselves.
Try telling him that. LOL I get this Lil.

And gay people getting married is not a non issue. I've become very aware of the injustice of denying them the rights other couples have. Is it an issue on par with the economy? No. But it is an important issue . . . and I am appalled the phrasing used by NC, which doesn't just prohibit gay marriage, but goes out of its way to stick it to gay couples who want to work through private contract. Like it or not, that's an issue of basic freedoms, and the President should speak out.
I am going to leave it at this, you all can crucify me if you wish.

If I were a secular person, I would be with you 100%. You who can reason know where I come from on issues of personal liberty. But I am bound by something bigger. Many of you use this as an example of the Bible's "hatred" and all the other things people say and that is fine. Its a lie, the Bible being about hate, but it's fine. I realize that I am not going to ever "win" an argurment about the Bible on the internet. LOL But God's commandment is clear on this topic. That's all I need to know.

This is the part where everybody loses their mind and calls me names. :)

If I were a secular person, I would be with you 100%. You who can reason know where I come from on issues of personal liberty. But I am bound by something bigger. Many of you use this as an example of the Bible's "hatred" and all the other things people say and that is fine. Its a lie, the Bible being about hate, but it's fine. I realize that I am not going to ever "win" an argurment about the Bible on the internet. LOL But God's commandment is clear on this topic. That's all I need to know.

This is the part where everybody loses their mind and calls me names. :)
No, but it's the point where I point out that we are not a theocracy.

Who ever said we were? In our Republic, the voters get to have religious liberty and if they choose to vote based on those beliefs, does that make us a Theocracy?
Basing laws on what the bible (allegedly and/or cherry-picked, which is a different argument) says = theocracy.

ETA: How do you feel about Sharia Law? Which is essentially people answering to a bigger power, from their perspectives.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I am also of the opinion that there is no god. So that argument is for people who want to listen to bigoted old men who are now long ago dust.

JacksonsMom

Frankly, I don't much care one way or another what Obama thinks about gay marriage. Considering that he flipped his view when he ran for President, I figured he was lying about opposing it . . . and as you pointed out, its happening on its own. He can hardly legalize it nationwide on his own. He can try to get the executive branch to stop enforcing DOMA, but theoretically, that's already happening.

But having the President of the United States (whether its Obama or anyone else) come out on their side is a huge symbolic victory. And they're right on that, actually. It is official recognition that their position is not beyond the pale, that it is, in fact, mainstream or close to it (as the polls indicate).

Obama's worth, or lack there of, as a President is pretty much beside the point. He did it because his hand was forced and it was more politically advantageous to come out in support than oppose it (and it is . . . it will now be an election issue, and the opposition is extremely good at looking like foaming bigots). He has supported it before . . . he didn't evolve, he's just telling the truth of what he's always thought.

:hail::hail::hail::hail:

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
Basing laws on what the bible (allegedly and/or cherry-picked, which is a different argument) says = theocracy.

ETA: How do you feel about Sharia Law? Which is essentially people answering to a bigger power, from their perspectives.
Well, most of the laws of this country are based in Judeo-Christian values. If we got down to brass tacks, I bet we would agree on 95% of what those values are. As it comes to homosexual unions and things of that nature.... It comes back to the idea that rule are OK, as long as I agree with them. I believe God gaves us those rules for good reasons. He IS God afterall.

Again, we need to understand what this country is. A Republic. The PEOPLE get to choose our leaders and what our government is supposed to be. We have done so. Like it or not, for now I guess, a vast majority of people here identify themselves as Christians. Those people vote their belief system. That does not make us a theocracy.

As for Sharia.... If a free people choose to live by those standards, good for them. But Sharia is not a good arguement for you to be using in defence of gay marriage.

Members online

No members online now.