Best Friend Needs Help

todmac

Good day, Thank you to anyone in advance kind enough to take the time to try and help me with this issue.
I have an Shelter Rescue dog, likely part Yellow Lab, part duck toller. Got her about 2.5 years ago from the shelter, they estimated she was one at the time, and told me she had been tied outside a great deal of that time and was taken from the family.
"Indy" is the most affectionate dog ever, but hates to be alone. I kennelled her for about the first year I had her in the day times while at work as she was a bit of a menace. I weined her off the kennell, but have always had an issue that when I go to work and come home she will have gotten into the garbage, chewed it up and put it on the bed where I sleep. ( dog generally sleeps on the floor at the foot of the bed, but not always and likely lays on the bed during the day as there is a window beside it ).
For Christmas this year I build us both a "Dog Proof" garbage, thinking this would rectify the issue. She no longer gets into a chews garbage, but instead anything else she can get her paws on in the kitch, including a fruit cake this year. The more things I move, the more she finds something else.
I cant hide the whole house, and I worry this is dangerous. I have tried "Everything"! I even saw on a show you could take an astringent called Allum and put it on toast and leave that on the counter so the dog would have a "Bad experience" every time they try the toast (Allum tastes like **** )well she ate all the toast I left out and all the allum. I have tried punishing her, Ignorning it, putting things away, leaving unpleasant things out. I walk indy twice a day religiously. She is a very very agressive chewer so I can only leave her with pressed bones all day, but she has plenty. She is never alone more than 5 or 6 hours.

Any thoughts out there as to how I an rid her of this behavior ?
Thanks so much.

Todd and Indy

The above behavior you describe is why crates were invented for dogs. Crate her while you are out of the house. Going off and leaving any dog loose in the house is like going off and leaving a two year old human loose alone in a house! Leave the TV on for her to listen to--or a radio. Give her some dry food and water in her crate. There is nothing wrong with crating a dog as long as the crate is big enough for the dog to stand up full height, turn around and stretch.

Most dogs that are NOT getting into trouble spend their days sleeping in/on a small area curled up into a ball. She will suffer no ill treatment by being crated for a number of hours!

If she decides to start trying chewing on electric cords, etc, she will put an end to her own problems!

Good luck.

TheWonderPuppies

Pres. Of Gutter Club.....
I would agree with the crate, in the long run it would be a lot safer for her/him just put some bones or other toys that will take up the dogs time if you are set on leaving the dog out try a kong stuffed with peanut butter wich is then frozen also the make balls and as teh dog rolls it it gradualy realeses kibble maybe you could find one of those and give it a try and make sure thereaare no electric cords around

Fuzz Puppy

I agree with the crate idea too. It's safer and the dog can't get hurt as easilly. Good luck to your friend too. :)

Hannah

Doberluv

Good advice so far. Keep enticing things off the counter. The fewer times she is self rewarded for those behaviors, the sooner she'll lose interest. And the crate or a puppy proofed room where the dog is confined is needed.

How much exercise is she getting? A good run and some obedience training practice always helps to tire their bodies and minds and a good chew toy which is safe. A lot of these bones and things end up being dangerous, as blockages can occur. But a Kong, hard rubber is really a good one for heavy chewers.

Seperation anxiety is caused a lot of times by boredom so exercise and some stimulating time, (learning, play etc) when you are at home is really important. Also, make comings and goings very low key. Don't make it like it's a big issue everytime you come or go. Just act like it's no big deal....matter of fact.

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.