Need help with Whiskey- kitten

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ugh so here's my dilemma. Josh and I still haven't found the right house yet. We found a couple that were totally fine with our animals, but they didn't work out.

A couple that Josh has done a ton of work for offered for us to move into their basement for a few months until we find a house we want. I'm not thrilled about living somewhere so temporary, but at this point it's a smart idea and the rent is pretty low which gives us time to save even more so that when we do move into a house we want we will have more of a cushion. This house has a HUGE fenced in yard for the dogs to play in as well.

Fast forward a few days later. These people don't even care at all that we have three dogs (which is what I figured would be the hardest part about finding a place), but they mentioned to Josh that they are concerned about us having a cat and don't want the cat there. Wish they had mentioned that before since they know we have a cat.

Whiskey is mainly Josh's cat and he really does not want to give him up. We are only going to be there 2-3 months at the most... Probably until the end of the year at the latest and I'm trying to find someone who is willing to take him temporarily for that duration. We would of course pay for all food, vet, etc but unfortunately most of the people I know around here are strictly dog people or not animal people at all. Cristy said she would except her landlord would not approve so that's a no go which sucks because I trust her with my animals more than anyone I know.

Does anyone know anyone in the VA, MD, DC, PA etc area that might be willing to take him for a few months? I really really would rather not rehome him permanently if we don't have to especially since the dogs absolutely adore him and Josh is beyond in love with this cat. He was supposed to be temporary in the first place, but he just meshed so well here that Josh (and I too) do not want to rehome him.

He is not neutered but will be neutered before the end of the month. He does not spray at all and he is not declawed since I personally am not a fan of declawing cats. He is a total love bug and a bit of a spaz. He absolutely loves to be near people and gets along with dogs fine.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Could you ask the potential landlords if there's a specific conern they have so you can see about addressing it such that they would allow him? If it's just for a few months and they would be game, you might be able to agree to crate him when unsupervised or something like that.

I would think their concerns are likely something like clawing or spraying and crating when unsupervised would certainly eliminate both of those issues!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Could you ask the potential landlords if there's a specific conern they have so you can see about addressing it such that they would allow him? If it's just for a few months and they would be game, you might be able to agree to crate him when unsupervised or something like that.

I would think their concerns are likely something like clawing or spraying and crating when unsupervised would certainly eliminate both of those issues!
this! Don't rehome him over a few months, there must be a way. :)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm going to mention to josh about talking to them again. We keep him in a super sized crate right now when he is not being supervised as it is so he is used to that. I think her concern was she doesn't like litterboxes, but Josh could easily build a cabinet for the litterbox so that its hidden. I'm willing to put caps on his nails and keep them trimmed if that's a concern. He has his own scratch posts and we redirect him to those if he tries to scratch anything else. I know they have leather couches in the basement so I think part of it is they are worried he may scratch those up. As it is already he isn't out of a crate unsupervised mainly because he is your typical "get into mischief" kitten.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I just texted Josh to see if he can talk to them since he is at their house right now. It's mainly the wife that says no to him. The husband doesn't seem to care. In fact he is excited about our animals and they have a 7 month old female border collie that I might be doing some minor training with. I have not let Whiskey do any damage here. I manage him really well and I catch him before he ever has a chance. The thing I don't get is the person that is moving out of their basement has a cat... But then I wonder if their cat did something to leave a harsh tastes in the wife's mouth.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I hope your able to convince them! I'd totally watch him if I were closer. My apartment is boring without a dog or cat around. :( I have Gracie with me right now (and took pictures! I'll hopefully get them uploaded at some point, but I'm currently internet-less) and it is so much more nice. I really wish Mike would let me keep her Herr permanently...

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sounds like maybe the other cat did damage but he wife is more concerned.

I would definitely tell him about the crating, etc....

I feel for you as my friend is looking for a house to rent with 2 dogs that are inside dogs not "outside" dogs like a lot of southerners think they should be which are not the problem. The problem is her cat! What is it with people!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Aww, wish I was closer, we're considering adding a kitten when some of the rat girlies pass, this would've been the perfect opportunity for a test run!!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I wish you lived closer too Lauren. He is seriously an awesome (and crazy) little guy. Today he would not stop jumping in and out of the bathtub until I closed the bathroom door to keep him out. He conked out later on cuddled up with Cricket after licking her face and ear for a while. Those dogs really adore him.

Josh hasn't talked to the homeowners yet but I reminded him so hopefully he will remember to do so tomorrow. He does have a friend who is cat obsessed and *might* be able to take him on a temp basis if talking to the homeowners proves to be a flop. I've got to call the vet to schedule his neuter asap. He has little cherries popping out back there lol. I forgot how fast cats seem to sexually mature.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Seriously stressing out. The people that own the place we are going to be in temporarily until we find a house didn't just say no to the cat, but hell no. One of Josh's friends decided to take him temporarily for us which was a huge relief, but then the other day backed out because his girlfriend us apparently allergic.and concerned about having a third cat in the house. We are moving in a week. I'm literally stressing out about this to where I can pretty much think about nothing else right now. Looked into boarding him but I'm being quoted $500-900 a month to board him. As much as I'd love to be able to, I just can't afford that. I just emailed a local cat rescue explaining the situation. They *might* know someone willing to take him temporarily with all his expenses paid for of course since I'm going to cover all his costs. I figured it was worth a try to ask. I really don't want to have to rehome him permanently if I can avoid it and I've called/texted every friend I have locally that I could think of. He came and cuddled with me in bed this morning and I broke down in tears because I really feel like I'm not doing good by him since i haven't figured this out yet. I feel like such a terrible owner and I'm worried the end of next week is going to come without a resolution. I will not take him to a shelter out here because they tend to euthanize quickly with cats and I just can't do that. If I have no choice I will see if the cat rescue will let me surrender him to them but I really really really don't want to do that. God this is making me miserable right now. Josh has tried all his friends too. His sister is checking with some of her friends to see if anyone can.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
((((((hugs)))))) I hope you can find someone to take him for a while! I'm sorry it's turning out like this, but hopefully it will be okay in the end!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
What's crazy to me is that when we decided to keep him we agreed the dogs are mine and that cat is Josh's. I didn't realize just how attached to this cat I've become until this whole situation. I'm crossing my fingers that something will work out... But the end of next week is creeping up fast so its hard not to freak out at this point. I'm the shift supervisor on duty at work right now and I can't even seem to focus at work like I should be.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Lots of vibes. What about craigslist for a temp situation? Offer to pay what you can, screen really heavily, and you might have some luck.

Members online

No members online now.