Ronin Devours Bunny Rabbits!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Well... close to it, at least. The EVO didn't work out, so his new food is... Nature's Varity Instinct Rabbit. YES, it's pricier than I ever thought I could pay, but it's the most novel protein source I could find, paired with grain-free, semi-locally available (35 mile drive through heavy city traffic)... but it looks like a great food. 25.3lbs cost me... $55. Ouch. Ah well - it IS rabbit, after all. It takes a lot of bunnies to make 25.3lbs of dog food. He'll be eating half as much of Canidae though, so that evens the cost out considerably.

Here's the bag:

Here are the kibblets:

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Here's a comparison of fat/protein/kcal:

EVO
42% protein
22% fat
537 Kcal/cup

Instinct (rabbit)
35% protein
22% fat
482 calories per cup

I LOVE that Instinct Rabbit has lower protein - I'm still not sold on the super-high protein kibbles, so Instinct got my nod of approval with their protein. Fat is the same, which is fine with me. A few less calories in the Instinct, but that's also fine with me.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
The is a store thats 16 miles away from me that carries it, I might have to go grab a bag and try it... :)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'm withholding judgement as of right now, but I've got tinges of excitement... it smells very rich, Ronin loves it, and it's a protein he's never had before. And darn it, it looks so neat - so dark and shiny!

Dekka

Just try me..
lol I *does* look like its made by rabbits...no wonder he thinks its yummy!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Cider finds rabbit poop to be a delicacy up there with horse droppings as an aphrodisiac.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
just so you understand, this isn't a true novel protein food trial.

the kibble contains both fish AND chicken in the top four ingredients (heck, fish is the SECOND!) - so any novel protein is ruined by having other protein sources in the food.

the prescription novel proteins out there have NO other protein sources in there.

if they truly believe that ronin has a food allergy, i wouldnt waste time with this food.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I really like the ingredients in this food... we may have to try a bag in the future, although I'm quite happy with Orijen and Core at the moment.

showpug

just so you understand, this isn't a true novel protein food trial.

the kibble contains both fish AND chicken in the top four ingredients (heck, fish is the SECOND!) - so any novel protein is ruined by having other protein sources in the food.

the prescription novel proteins out there have NO other protein sources in there.

if they truly believe that ronin has a food allergy, i wouldnt waste time with this food.
Actually, this food doesn't contain any chicken, only chicken fat. Fats generally don't trigger allergies, proteins do. So, dogs can be allergic to chicken meat and not chicken fat. I would really just consider this food a rabbit and fish base.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I know it's not a true novel protein food trial. My vet is not overly concerned, as it's only manifesting as minor skin flakies and slower healing time. I'm just trying a food that contains little or no shared proteins or grains with Canidae ALS.

For Ronin, it's not a life or death situation - he's not having serious reactions to anything, he's not suffering any quality of life problems, he's not bothered in the slightest. If it were more serious, I would do a true food trial.

Members online

No members online now.