Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I've already met some of you, thanks to the good advice I got from members on how to take care of Lady, our yellow lab x golden retriever, who is a new mom. She is 4 1/2 years old, and we bred her to a yellow lab. We will keep one puppy, and the owner of the father gets one. She has one other puppy, and I'm glad it's only one, because we have always been very fussy about placing our puppies in good homes. This is the first litter we've had in about 15 years, so I had a lot of questions. I've posted 3 pictures of lady and the puppies. Our other dog is Rita, a 9 1/2 year old 3/4 yellow lab and 1/4 mastiff. We love our yellow girls! They are both trained for tracking and agility, although we don't compete. We do it for fun, and the dogs love it so much!

Last edited:

~Tucker&Me~

Welcome! :D
Please spay the new mommy though! There are plenty of lab mixes dying in shelters everyday...

~Tucker

Maxy24

^^^^^^ I agree. There's really no reason for more mixes when you can go get one in a shelter. I hope you enjoy the forum and learn a lot too! :)

In defense of crossbreds

We deliberately breed crossbred labs for family dogs. We have had purebreds, and we accidentally ended up with a crossbred about 25 years ago. Her offspring (3/4 yellow lab) made us and several others some very wonderful companions and sporting dogs. We had good homes for all of the pups before they were weaned. All but one who died of cancer :( lived to be at least 14. One of them became the envy of many upland bird hunters. As a rule, you cannot compete in shows with crossbreds, but not everyone does that. And at least where I live, agility and tracking tests are accessible, although we choose not to enter our girls. When we got Lady, we were looking specifically for a Lab cross. We called the animal shelter, and we found several ads, but every time we called, all of the puppies were already gone. We finally put out an ad in the "wanted" section before we came up with a puppy. These dogs are very much in demand, and the reason we like them is simple: They generally live years longer than purebreds, and you don't have to go through the heartbreak of losing a friend nearly as often. I can assure you that this is not irresponsible breeding, and our dogs don't run at large, even though we live on 60 acres. There's no way she'll get bred unless we want her to, which is unlikely now that we have our puppies, but at some point she will be spayed for her own well being. I hope this helps some of you to understand. Thanks for listening.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
We deliberately breed crossbred labs for family dogs. We have had purebreds, and we accidentally ended up with a crossbred about 25 years ago. Her offspring (3/4 yellow lab) made us and several others some very wonderful companions and sporting dogs. We had good homes for all of the pups before they were weaned. All but one who died of cancer :( lived to be at least 14. One of them became the envy of many upland bird hunters. As a rule, you cannot compete in shows with crossbreds, but not everyone does that. And at least where I live, agility and tracking tests are accessible, although we choose not to enter our girls. When we got Lady, we were looking specifically for a Lab cross. We called the animal shelter, and we found several ads, but every time we called, all of the puppies were already gone. We finally put out an ad in the "wanted" section before we came up with a puppy. These dogs are very much in demand, and the reason we like them is simple: They generally live years longer than purebreds, and you don't have to go through the heartbreak of losing a friend nearly as often. I can assure you that this is not irresponsible breeding, and our dogs don't run at large, even though we live on 60 acres. There's no way she'll get bred unless we want her to, which is unlikely now that we have our puppies, but at some point she will be spayed for her own well being. I hope this helps some of you to understand. Thanks for listening.
Um, while I love mixed breeds Chaz is not a place that condones purposely crossbreeding mutts ;) . I'm sorry you feel as though you need to create more lab mixes for "family pets". Lab mixes can't be that much in demand as you claim because there are PLENTY of them dying in animal shelters! I see you haven't been on Chaz very long and I'm not trying to chase you away from here but knowledge/education is power if you read some of the threads on Chaz you will see that what you are doing isn't ethical :( .

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I urge you to do some searching on the Breeding Ground forums to see what exactly responsible breeding entails.

I understand your love of mixes, my heart belongs to a lab/pointer mix myself, however, that love does not condone a morally unacceptable practice.

As was said, we welcome new members here, but please do be advised that we do not condone the unethical practice of breeding mutts (I use the term lovingly, I own two myself :) ).

With that said, I certainly hope you stick around. There is a lot to learn from a place like Chazhound, we have several top notch breeders, trainers and dog enthusiasts that are here to help us when needed. There is no better place to be. :)

If you have any further questions or would like to take this topic further, please do so by going to the appropriate forum for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.