Is this weather too cold for Hershey??

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Here, at those temperatures, children ARE outside building snow forts, seldding, etc., having a grand old time. Outside life doesn't really stop until it hits -20 to -25 celcius. -12 celcius is "warm" here in the winter.
I just read a story about a woman that grew up in Alaska. She said they were allowed to go iceskating if it were 20 below or up. It is 21 degrees here in missouri today and i am absolutely freezing!:rolleyes:

I think my mom is scared that he will tear up the floor again, like he did 4 years ago! :( it is I think 12 degrees here. geez! Its flipping cold! and if it is to cold for a kid that is 2 years old, its too cold for a furry kid. called Hershey.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
if the only reason he is an outside dog is because he tore up the floor, try crate training when he cant be supervised, there is absolutly NO reason for a dog to HAVE to be an outside dog!

he tore up the tiled floor, :confused: but, I agree FoxyWench. the other only thing she doesn't like is him getting into the trash, I have already started working on him with that. :) he doesn't do it in the house. but she doesn't know it. I had him in for three hours one day. Friday. He touched it a few times, but not for long! I told him no. and I don't think he would like the crate. he didn't like it as a puppy, but I think I can crate train him. slowly introduce him. :) make him think it is a good thing.

em&ollie

Cavalicious
You should feed him in the crate and give him his favourite treats when you put him in as well :) I'm sure he'd much prefer being in a crate and inside to not being crated outside in the freezing weather!

Here, at those temperatures, children ARE outside building snow forts, seldding, etc., having a grand old time. Outside life doesn't really stop until it hits -20 to -25 celcius. -12 celcius is "warm" here in the winter.
I live in Canada also. I do not know any children who are required to live and sleep outside.

I agree with sneaking him inside the house (or calling the humane society and not telling who is calling, but filing a complaint)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Would your mom let him sleep inside, in his crate?

I'm sure that your mom wouldn't want to sleep outside in 10 degree weather =/

I know I wouldn't! but, he snuck inside, and she actually gave it a chance, and she liked what she saw. And then next weekend, or whenever the kids are here, he can come in. but, thats later, we need to focus on now. :) but, I know I sure wouldn't want to sleep in 10 degree weather. agreed from that point. but, I am working on it, a long with my brother! thats amazing.

well, sort of unexpected if you ask me. I think my mom knew what she was doing (breeder wise) I was only 9, not knowing anything about puppies/puppy care. but we all worked with him. we took him to a puppy class at Petsmart. He was supposed to be an "inside dog" but after he tore the floor up, he was booted out. :( but, what has happened, has happened, can't change it now. I hope I am not upsetting anyone. I am trying to do the best I can with Hershey. Trying to get him back inside. and all that.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I know that you are doing the best that you can. It really is out of your control at your age, and I can't imagine how frustrating that must be. I just wish that your mom would accept Hershey for what he is- a dog. There are so many people who get dogs expecting them to be perfect citizens, and then when they are not perfect, they discard them or throw them outside on a chain. If your mom would put the proper training into Hershey instead of having him live outside, I'm sure that he would be a great dog.

Even now, when one of my puppies is 11 months old, they are all crated when I am not home. I'm sure that they could do some damage when they are unattended... so their crate is a safe place for them to be when they cannot be watched. Maybe you could convince your mom to use a crate with Hershey for when he can't be watched.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
IMO, there is no reason he should be outside when he can be safely crated.

It sounds like he lacks exercise & training. No one can expect a Lab puppy not to tear a floor up, if not properly contained & trained. Like I said in the other thread (in the Fire Hydrant)... he needs LOTS of exercise through out the day, mental & physical, and training, and he will be a great "indoor" dog.

He knows the basics, and one advanced command. he knows, Sit, wait, no, working on laydown, and shake. He is wonderful at the commands I am teaching him, and he has no toys. :( Which I want to go out and buy for him, but I get stopped. And, I am bringing him in the house about everyday, I can't when my step-dad is home, he would yell at me. gosh I hate him. shrugs, not the problem. but Hershey does wonderful in the house, after he has a romp around the field, and yard. loves that. and I think my mom was shocked how well behaved he was. (he snuck in yesterday when she was unloading salt) and she told me to get him out, but I thought I would let him wait there for a little bit. and I told him to "Lay Down" he did, and "Wait" he waited there until I said he could get up. then after a little while I said "Good Boy" he didn't get up??? usually he does. but I just kept praising a few times. still not getting up. he actually shocked me. he did everything everyone told him. as obedient as that dog has been, he deserves to be a pack member. he should of still been a pack member when he was 2 years old. I love this dog too much to give up now. I will never give up on him, he has taught me to never give up. this dog has taught me more than school has. And I think he would be wonderful as an addition inside our home. He would be a lot warmer, and more spoiled. :) (he would love being spoiled by everyone!)

He knows the basics, and one advanced command. he knows, Sit, wait, no, working on laydown, and shake. He is wonderful at the commands I am teaching him, and he has no toys. :( Which I want to go out and buy for him, but I get stopped. And, I am bringing him in the house about everyday, I can't when my step-dad is home, he would yell at me. gosh I hate him. shrugs, not the problem. but Hershey does wonderful in the house, after he has a romp around the field, and yard. loves that. and I think my mom was shocked how well behaved he was. (he snuck in yesterday when she was unloading salt) and she told me to get him out, but I thought I would let him wait there for a little bit. and I told him to "Lay Down" he did, and "Wait" he waited there until I said he could get up. then after a little while I said "Good Boy" he didn't get up??? usually he does. but I just kept praising a few times. still not getting up. he actually shocked me. he did everything everyone told him. as obedient as that dog has been, he deserves to be a pack member. he should of still been a pack member when he was 2 years old. I love this dog too much to give up now. I will never give up on him, he has taught me to never give up. this dog has taught me more than school has. And I think he would be wonderful as an addition inside our home. He would be a lot warmer, and more spoiled. :) (he would love being spoiled by everyone!)
No toys, poor dog :( I know you have no control over that though, but your parents need to understand that if a dog does not have something to keep there mind occupied they might do things like tear up the floor! (have they never seen a toddler without any toys?) Toys are not just for fun and games, they do have a purpose if you do not want your stuff destroyed. (as well as dog chews and training)

Members online

No members online now.