Questions for bully & APBTA 'type' owners

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It's not the level of desire to fight as much as the power, a scrap between other breeds for 5-15 seconds(depending on your skills as a handler) can be broken up sans damage where as APBT and mixes there of more often than not are just so good that a damage free argument is the rarity.

This is from my experience with pit bull rescue over the years.

My male Malinois is very low on dog tolerance and my female Malinois is moderate. I would take them being DA over my pit bulls DA, I'll be honest Backup got owned both times he stupidly took on Arnold. He's not a fair fight but still it's a very different style, Arnold goes for a grab and grinds. Backup is a bounce and snapper.

When we have other breed scuffles at my work I see them broken up hastily with minimal damage, I've yet to see a pit bull fight that started (actual contact) and stopped with such little damage as a scrapped cheek.

I truly love my pit bulls, without fail. I just think its only fair to be honest about their behaviors or else I may be setting them up for failure.

I should add, Shamoo likes to push buttons but she will avoid a fight and she is a pit bull. That said when engaged in a fight she sure can get in some nasty strong bites very quickly, often faster than she can think straight. I have an ugly scar from her redirecting accidentally (which ime is less common in pit bulls) on my leg and Denis has a nasty one on his arm from the previously mentioned recent fight (not so comically its on his sleeve arm which has made Bitework lots of fun for him lately).

Last edited:

kady05

I've been extremely lucky with my dogs. I have never had even so much as a scuffle here *knockonwood*. But, I'm also not naive and know that it could happen at any point in time!

Like SevenSins, I've found males tend to be more.. forgiving. That's why I went with a male dog to show, and will probably continue to do so if I get another show dog.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
FWIW There are plenty of GSDs who can not be broken up without damage.
I had two rat terriers who literally went for death, I had to return one actually to the breeder, but I don't think that is the common behavior in all RTs and honestly both did well with other dogs it was just each other that made them see red. Strange how dogs work sometimes.

I've had a very wide range of temperaments concerning other dogs in the GSD's i've had. One put her canines thru the front leg of another and broke the leg and had scars of her own, to those that can have a dog trying to hump them while they do obedience and will never acknowledge their existence.

Aleron

I had two rat terriers who literally went for death, I had to return one actually to the breeder, but I don't think that is the common behavior in all RTs and honestly both did well with other dogs it was just each other that made them see red. Strange how dogs work sometimes.
It's not nessarily uncommon for GSDs to be SSA and plenty who are will get into injury inducing fights with each other, every bit as serious as APBTs fighting. Actually the fights I've broken up involving APBTs didn't involve injury luckily enough.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I would prefer it elsewise but the truth is though with most APBT it's uncommon for it to be SSA but rather an all out, I love to wrassle, bring it on any sex/size/breed, kind of behavior if they are exhibiting or it's an "I won't start it but I'll surely end it," which can be the most dangerous for all of the "but my pit bull would never start a fight" DP goers.

Of course IMO a breed that has been carefully molded for its ability to fight and fight well should be seen as such for everyone's safety.

After years in this breed it's not a competition with other breeds, it's a self awareness within the breed. It does no one any favors to presume elsewise.

Tahla9999

I would prefer it elsewise but the truth is though with most APBT it's uncommon for it to be SSA but rather an all out, I love to wrassle, bring it on any sex/size/breed, kind of behavior if they are exhibiting or it's an "I won't start it but I'll surely end it," which can be the most dangerous for all of the "but my pit bull would never start a fight" DP goers.

Of course IMO a breed that has been carefully molded for its ability to fight and fight well should be seen as such for everyone's safety.

After years in this breed it's not a competition with other breeds, it's a self awareness within the breed. It does no one any favors to presume elsewise.
Got to agree with this. My dog has yet to show any dog aggression and any fight he has been in was always on defensive and not trying to fight back. At the same time, you never know. You can't be too careful. And I have to agree with other breed's fight. I've seen a lot of dog fights. My dog has been attack twice by off lease dogs. One was a shepherd mix who mange to give my dog one puncture wound. Another was a Saint Bernard( fricken scary) and I thought there was going to be some damage but it turn out he was untouch.

APBT fight is a whole another story. I don't know if any of you heard, but one of the Vick dogs at Best Friends escape out of his kennel and broke into a pet pit bull kennel while no one was around. The dog attack that dog so badly that the dog was beheaded. Yes, the head was found seperate from his body. The Vick dog wasn't finish though. He broke into another Vick dog kennel and fought that dog too. The dog was more of a match and they found both dogs very wounded, but the dog who kennel was broken into had more damage than the dog who broke through two kennels. It that determination which sets these dogs apart.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
This is a bit OT, but rather than making a new thread...

I used to think it was wrong to somewhat stereotype Pit Bulls in terms of DA. I had seen it when I first joined a few dog forums, and simply did not believe it, or want to.

Is it sad now that at the dog park, I pretty much automatically leave when a pittie comes in? Now, usually I bring Jackson on the little side anyways, but if there's only two or three other bigger dogs there that I scope out first, I do have him on the big side (I meet up with a friends boston terrier/beagle mix who is too rough for small dogs). She thinks I'm being "breedist" - I know she doesn't understand. But I gave her some info, and some links to a few pittie rescues who do NOT allow pits in dog parks, etc, and she does understand where I'm coming from.

I never wanted to be "that person" but I would never forgive myself if I did not go against instinct and something happened to my dog. I know ANY breed can potentially snap, especially at a dog park, but I consider myself a good reader of dog body language, and I know that personally my dog stays away from any potential trouble. But sometimes I feel like a giant douche, but ever since reading stuff online, I simply don't trust them around my dog. I have no issue with them with just me.

But, like, my aunt has a now 10 year old pittie who has spent lots of time with small dogs and other dogs in his life, no issues. But now I do have a fear.

Do you think this fear is justified when it comes to protecting my dog? or am I just reading too much on the internet? lol.
When I take Jack to the dog park I am more wary of certain breeds of dogs than others. We have never have a positive experience with a GSD at the park. We have had some positive bully breed experiences, BUT I am very mindful of the individuals that come in.

Barbara!

Is it sad now that at the dog park, I pretty much automatically leave when a pittie comes in? Now, usually I bring Jackson on the little side anyways, but if there's only two or three other bigger dogs there that I scope out first, I do have him on the big side (I meet up with a friends boston terrier/beagle mix who is too rough for small dogs). She thinks I'm being "breedist" - I know she doesn't understand. But I gave her some info, and some links to a few pittie rescues who do NOT allow pits in dog parks, etc, and she does understand where I'm coming from.
I would be slightly insulted if someone left just because I walked up with Chevelle...that's just the truth. There are many dogs that are prone to things that would make the dog park less than ideal if they displayed those characteristics...but I don't think that means you should go running from every one of those dogs. I DO understand your reasoning behind it, though. It just would personally make me a little sad, lol.

Barbara!

I completely understand the mentality behind it...

Of course I just can't help being a little saddened when it's my dogs they are leaving because of! Lol.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Keeva has been the target of so much predatory drift that I'm pretty **** wary now. :( She's been chomped by a Dane and had a few close encounters with GSDs... (at a DOG SHOW of all places! Argh!) GSDs make me very nervous around small dogs, tbh. They seem realy prone to prey drive towards small dogs, and Keeva just seems to bring that out of dogs. I think she's too fast and too low to the ground, she looks like a little wild thing.

I mean, I don't go to the fenced in type dog parks anyway as they're not appropriate for either of my dogs. I only do open trails/lakes, so in that case, I would probably just keep moving and keep a watchful eye. But you're certainly not the only one, Brittany.

Barbara!

I've always had issues with Huskies. They tend to be very flighty and high strung and dominant, IMO.

kady05

I really don't like the way gsd play, it's very disconcerting.
My friend has a GSD and I feel the same way. He put a hole through Piper's ear once, completely unprovoked (she literally just walked past him and he launched at her). He's either play bowing and doing fine, or snapping at another dog, there's not much middle ground with him.

Mach1girl

I live in the house with 7 dogs. 5 APBT two of which are females and three are males, intact, the females are spayed. I also have a Boxer/APBT mix, male who is nuetered and a Shepard/Lab female spayed.

4 of the APBT are kin (momma & 3 babies) all the other dogs were brought in at a later time.

The "family" of APBT have always gotten along peachy. The other 3 who were brought in, are welcomed of course (after MUCH training due to the DA) however they are not "included" in the closeness the originals share. And there have been 7 total for many years.

If you are wanting same sex, or more then one, I suggest selecting siblings from a pups age.

DA is very common in this breed, so is prey drive. I have indeed seen it, but have never had success in the mixture of APBT and livestock. I have had horrible experiences personally with this issue even after an APBT had been raised with goats. They were so close they would keep each other warm on cold nights, and the dog literally grazed on hay with the goats for a year......then "it" happened :(

Anyways, good luck on your choice, but to even own an APBT for any reason, please educate yourself to the max first. Lord knows we neeed NO more bad rap!

JacksonsMom

I've always had issues with Huskies. They tend to be very flighty and high strung and dominant, IMO.

I agree. The 3 breeds I typically don't let him play with too much... GSDs, Huskies and Pit Bulls. I don't like their play styles, specifically around smaller guys. It freaks me out, even if it is JUST play, when they do the stalking, staring, prey drive thing. My uncles GSD has done it a few times. But in general, I notice the most problems in the dog park with those 3 breeds.

And Barbara, I know that's why I don't make it obvious. :( I feel terrible... I definitely don't want to seem like THAT person. I mean, one day there was a very friendly pittie hanging out there, and I did not feel the need to rush out or anything... his body language was fine, he was super laid back, and not caring about the other dogs much anyways. Or when I first get there, we go to the small dog side and I scope out the other side first. If all seems well, and goes well, for like 10 minutes or so, we head over there. I never used to think this way until joining dog forums! lol ... then when I started reading some things that even Pit bull owners would say, I started getting a bit worried.

Jackson is just not so big into the play style of those breeds either. I used to think I wanted a GSD, but after being with my uncles girl a lot, I realize it would not mesh at ALL with Jackson. He really doesn't like her- and he loves almost all dogs. He gets along fabulously with the herders (his BFF is this Aussie, they just run and run and run)... he loves to be chased or chase in kind of a non-threatening way. I think the bully body slams etc, freak him out, haha. But with other small terriers, he plays very loudly, and very rough, so I think it just depends.

Red Chrome

Judge plays well with others he is properly introduced too. He has never went after a dog unprovoked. I think it depends on the GSD.

JacksonsMom

Judge plays well with others he is properly introduced too. He has never went after a dog unprovoked. I think it depends on the GSD.
Definitely true! I met an AWESOME boy one time at a different dog park.

Come to think of it, all the GSD's that seem to come to the one dog park I visit more frequent are females? ... I dunno if that makes a difference or not.

Members online