will this hurt her...

MyLilly1

I think my Chihuahua Lilly really thinks she is a cat! I got her at 4 weeks, she is 6 weeks now. I have 3 adult cats and she plays, snuggles and runs around with them. At first I thought it was cute but this morning when I fed the cats she came running over with them and started eating from their bowl. She keeps sneaking cat food all the time, will this hurt her??

MyLilly1

BTW- I am putting her food and water bowl beside the cats and another set of food and water bowls in the bathroom which she eats also.....but she loves eating the cat food too:yikes:

MyLilly1

Yes, I thought about that but I don't want the cats to think its OK to eat on the table.....I also thought about using the cats BIG bowl (it has 3 divided dishes) and filling one of the dishes with her puppy food so she can still feel like she is eating with them but its her food, or would that be too confusing?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Well it's very bad for cats to eat only dog food due to their need for taurine so I'd avoid putting them in the same bowl set up just in case the cats decide they prefer dog food.

If I were you, I'd have a closet or room designated for cat stuff and either install a cat door or just set up the door so it only opens wide enough for the cats to get in. A baby gate in a doorway is also a good option when you have a small dog as the cats can jump over it but the dog can't. This can also keep cat boxes out of the reach of dogs.

Maxy24

I would keep the dog away from it, you don't want her gaining weight and you don't want the cats going without their food. Either put it up high (if you don't want them on the table/counter try to find another high place you can put it) or put it in a room that you can gate off. The cats can jump the gate but the dog cannot.

thehoundgirl

Well, it's certainly not good for her. Put it somewhere that she can't get it but the cats have easy access. I have a baby gate to seperate the dogs from getting to my cat's food in the laundry room. Maybe try that or feed the cats on the washer/dryer?

Saeleofu

either install a cat door or just set up the door so it only opens wide enough for the cats to get in.
I'm pretty sure a 6 week old chihuahua is smaller than a cat ;)

Our cats eat on the kitchen counter so the dogs don't get their food. I have a friend that feeds them on the washer/dryer.

M

mutts

The idea of gating off a small area is probably the best one.... cats can jump it but puppy won't be able to. Only until you can start training it not to get into the cat food. I don't think it's bad for her if she gets small amounts but it should not be the main part of her diet!!

MyLilly1

Thanks for all the good info :) I think its so cute, she is only 1/4 their size but she keeps up with them, I even ought my cat April licking her, guess she thought she needed a bath LOL

Members online

No members online now.