What are your dogs' "basic" commands?

BostonBanker

There are very few I would consider "basics" for Meg - meaning they are used regularly, and I have trained them to a point where I expect them to be pretty much reliable.

Come (absolute most important for us, it is fantastic)
Wait (stop moving forward until you are released)
Lie down (whatever you are doing; originally taught when she thought chasing horses would be fun)
This Way (used usually when hiking off-leash if she is distracted by something; basically leave it and come in my direction, but not a formal recall)
Pooey (leave it)
Gimme (rest your collar against my open hand; used when we are off-leash and I need to hang on to her for some reason)

Gimme is the newest, and isn't super in a really distracting place. She'll always come to me when I say it, but not always lay her collar against my hand. The others are pretty stellar.

bubbatd

When you have a house/companion dog I feel it's more interaction . I have no idea of Ollie's background .... I only know I love him and he loves me . We live on a very quiet street and if he crosses , I say " stay home " and he comes right back .

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
Sit
Down
Stay
Come
Let's Go
Heel
Wait
Leave it
Drop it
Easy (when starting to play too rough, especially with the puppy or the cats)
Move (out of my way)
Outside
Inside
Kennel (go in the crate)
Go potty
Get it/bring it back

Those are the basics that all of the dogs know (well, Juno is still learning of course). Plus Sammy knows a bunch of tricks in addition to the basics.

bubbatd

To me it's a differect of commands and reqeusts .... but that's just Olie and me .

Paige

Let it be
When you have a house/companion dog I feel it's more interaction . I have no idea of Ollie's background .... I only know I love him and he loves me . We live on a very quiet street and if he crosses , I say " stay home " and he comes right back .
My dogs are all companions. Spanky and Bandit are so cheeky though and had a brutal puppy hood that the laws had to be laid down. Miley doesn't know as many because she is SOOO easy that she doesn't "need" them. She already behaves herself without needing to be told to.

scob89

DILLIGAF?
Brenna. Thats all.
I know it doesn't seem like many commands, but it has so many uses, By just the tone of voice that I use she knows what I want and she does listen.

mrose_s

BusterLove
sit
stay
down
come
can i have it? (drop it)
leave it
put your head down (very handy if he's on my lap and his head is blocking the tv, no idea how he learnt he, I just started saying it and he just got it out of nowhere)
off (stop wrestling, your too loudm, come back)
woo up

A lot of our communication is with no learnt commands. I was out walking one day, he was up ahead and he walked past a gate I was going to head through. i said "wing!" (his nickname) he looked over, I pointed at the gate about 20 metres in front of me, 10 metres behind him and he turned around and went through it and waited.

And the other night, Sophie and Harry were playing on the ground. He can get very pissy when they play (possessive typw stuff), he sat up trying to get Harry's attention so he could tell him off. He lay back down and ignored them again with a look I gave him. Very nice when that happens

Sophie doesn't know much. She knows her name, sit and shake hands. She knows lie down if we touch the ground in front of her, but don't do it much because we don't want to make her sore. She's so easy. Her recall isn't spot on anymore but hermanners are ideal. She always just knows when its time to be on her best behaviour. You can walk her past dogs going off at her through fences offleash and she doesn't even look up.

Brattina88

There are very few I would consider "basics" for Meg - meaning they are used regularly, and I have trained them to a point where I expect them to be pretty much reliable.

Come (absolute most important for us, it is fantastic)
I 100% agree :D
Leave it is very important to me, and I use it for a couple different things. One and most important is food and other items that they would love to get their jaws on. And also cats... loose dogs... squirrels... other people, anything they are too interested in and won't be permitted to meet or chase.
Spit it (drop it) is important, especially if I don't see an item on the ground fast enough to say leave it fast enough and they snatch it up. Yesterday Maddie picked up a whole chicken wing ( :eek: ). I said "spit it!", half expecting her to be yea right... no treat, no spit! lol But, she did! She spit it and came to me expectantly. Of course I praised her like crazy and ran with her for a little bit. anyway... I think I'm rambling now...
Sit
Down
Stay
Wait
Heel

are ones I use daily ;)

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
A handy thing to know:

If you place gentle but firm upward pressure on any collar, a dog will spit out whatever is in the mouth.

Guaranteed.
my malinois would like to debate that ;):p

Ares ~ sit, down, stand, leave it, out, come, heel, with me, wait, wrong way - and hand signals for sit, down, come, heel
(the not-so-trainable) Morgan ~ sit, down, come, with me, wait, wrong way - hand signals for down, come
Tyr ~ sit, down, come, leave it, out, heel, with me, it's ok, wait, wrong way - hand signals for sit, down, come, heel
Nyx ~ sit, down, come, with me, out, (working on leave it), wrong way - hand signals for sit, down, come

Ares and Tyr know a lot of non-basic commands as well.

I prefer an emergency down over an emergency come.

Wrong way is used when they are on leash and we're walking and they head for one side of something (a pole, a tree) while I head for the other side or if they get their leash wrapped around something (Morgan once managed several figure-8's around two legs of a picnic table plus a post in a matter of a few seconds. With a series of "wrong way" commands I was able to talk her through unwrapping herself. After accidentally teaching "wrong way" to one dog, I decided I liked it a lot and have taught it to all my dogs.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Bamm knows:

Come
Sit
Lay
Settle (rocks his hip to the side so that he's in a relaxed lay)
Leave it
Drop it (yes we've used this on chicken bones... they're all over the place where I live for some reason and he's pretty good at dropping them on command)
Right (spin to the right)
Left (spin to the left)
Down (for when he tries to jump on you)
Up (get on something)
Off (when he's on something I don't want him on)
Heel
Wait
Ok (his release word)
Go Find "insert name of object"
Time out- Means he needs to come to me and lay down for a few minutes... still working on this one, but I usually use it when he's getting too rough playing with the cat.

Fun things he also knows:
Crawl (we're working on perfecting this one but he crawls low on the floor)
Paw
Wave
High Five

Oh I'm sure there's more... I can't think right now. I definitely have stuff I'm wanting to work with him on. I'd like to perfect his heel and then teach him to heel to the left of me and heel to the right. We're working on roll over, but he's a ditz when it comes to this one. I may need some advice on roll over since he thinks it means lay down and twist your body side to side.

ETA: I also have hand signals for a lot of these commands.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
let's see, basics..

sit
leave it
drop it
come
go away (hehe)
back up (use this with big dogs that stick their head over your plate while you're eating)
wait

occasionally i use stay (not often) and down.

And for one dog, all of these are hand signals since she's deaf. The other dogs respond to either.

S

Squishy22

Mine are....

sit
lay down
go in your house (go into his crate and settle down.)
Go eat your food (letting him know that he needs to eat his food).
Down (he used to be a really bad jumper).
Goober (go play with Pebbs, and he will go chasing after my chihuahua trying to play with her).

Sit, Down, Come, Stay, Wait, Shake, Five, Dance, Paws Up, Crate, Speak, Go Potty, Out (Out is a big one around here, if they get in a car they aren't supposed to, its Get your ass out/out) lol That one is my mom's favorite. She spoils them like none other now. Its a loonnnnng story.

Giny

They all know the same commands, some know it better then others...erhmm, Kassie needs some polishing on her commands.

Sit
Down
Off...off furniture
OK...on furniture
Leave it...when they see something that they aren't suppose to touch
Drop it...when it's already in mouth, works best on Boomer, Kassie not so much
Stay...this one we still need to perfect
Enough...still working on it, sometimes it works some times not (to stop barking)
Back...when they want to go out and I need to open the door and check the yard first, they back away from the door.
Wait...again when I'm looking at yard they wait, or if they want on furniture.
Come

I think that's it. They know some tricks but I'm not sure if you'd consider that basic commands.

Members online

No members online now.