He keeps humping things!!

Jessie

Hi, my name is Jessie and I have a 3 year old, male Pomeranian named Quincy who keeps humping his stuffed animals. He is neutered, and has been since he was a puppy. He doesn't hump anything else, just one of his bears and a lion. He doesn't mount other dogs either. It is really sick because he goes pretty hard on his lion, and then he barks at you when you catch him in the act. Does anyone else have this problem with their neutered male, or is mine just a twisted little pervert? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Jess

Jessie said:
Does anyone else have this problem with their neutered male, or is mine just a twisted little pervert? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Jess
I have absolutely no advice. Even if I did I would have to compose myself for a day before I could type it. That made me seriously laugh out loud. especially "then he barks at you when you catch him in the act" :D

Welcome.

-Kev

Apollonaro

I once had a dog like that, it was also a small dog. But he WASN'T Neutered. We used to just ignore it... and avoid touching the toys afterwards, as silly as it sounds that's what we had to do. Eventually he realised that there wasn't any fun in it. He was about 5 when he stopped. He had an affair with a slipper. It was a big fuzzy slipper shaped like a bear foot :D and it is pretty nasty but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do. If you can't ignore it, call a vet and ask them, they might be able to help u a little bitter than i can. best of luck

I think the dog sounds a bit off... he shouldn't be favoring the lion over the bear...

But really, just throw the lion away if he continues to get to excited.

Chazhound

This may sound like I'm joking, but I'm serious. Can a nuetered dog actually, um, err, "finish deriving pleasure", if you know what I mean? I've never really thought about it.

I don't think so, but that doesn't mean he doesn't still have the urge. Just not as strong...

RD

Are you dead yet?
if your dog is barking at you when he's getting it on with the stuffed animals, I would take them away. Prevention in this case is far easier than training him not to... You can't train a dog out of a dominant personality.

That made me laugh, though.. My puppy liked this BIG (about 5ft long) stuffed whale I have, and the day we brought him home the first thing he did was get on top of the whale. :p :rolleyes:

Try the trusty old squirt bottle. It works better if he doesn't see you with it and thinks that what he's doing causes that annoying splash of cold water.

. . . barks when you catch him . . . my face hurts from giggling!

Husky626

Is it the samething if my puppy is biting onto the stuff animal and "doing it" but he doesnt go against the stuff animal, but he just does the motion of it. His weewee isn't anywhere near it and hes only ~11 weeks old. He just does it for like a few seconds. Wonder if hes trying to hump it or he is just doing whatever hes doing???

Sounds like you've got a precociously dominant pup there. The time to modify his behaviour is now, while he's still a baby.

First, though, have the vet rule out any physiological things, like urinary tract infection.

C

Claudia

Hi Jess,

I’d like to offer some insight into your dog’s behavior from a psychological perspective. Since your dog is neutered and three years old, it seems like this problem is not hormonal. Given that your dog barks when he is caught in the act, he may be starved for attention. If this behavior occurs in the presence of another loved one (either dog or person), this may be a way for your dog to express his jealously. If this is happening in the company of your boyfriend or husband, I would suggest two solutions. First, I would enforce some operant conditioning through your usual means of punishment. If your dog persists after punishment, I would suggest a bolder means of conditioning through psychological warfare.

*Edited for content*

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessie

I would die of shock if he needs more attention than he already gets. He is the most pampered dog ever. Quite possibly the creepiest little dog ever too...I just wanted to know if this is normal behavior for a small neutered male, since I have always owned big dogs. I don't think there is a physical problem, since when I hide the victimized toys from him, he doesnt look for a subsitute. I can deal with the toy humping, because I just take them away from him, but I just worry that my friend's 2 year old daughter is going to walk in and find my pretty little dog raping her favourite teddy bear.

Jessie said:
I would die of shock if he needs more attention than he already gets. He is the most pampered dog ever. Quite possibly the creepiest little dog ever too...I just wanted to know if this is normal behavior for a small neutered male, since I have always owned big dogs. I don't think there is a physical problem, since when I hide the victimized toys from him, he doesnt look for a subsitute. I can deal with the toy humping, because I just take them away from him, but I just worry that my friend's 2 year old daughter is going to walk in and find my pretty little dog raping her favourite teddy bear.
Maybe you could just get some uglier stuffed animals. :D :eek: :cool:

bogolove

Ok this may sound weird but I promise it is true. My friend had a dog when we were in high school who used to hump her teddy bear. That is not the weird part. The dog was a female poodle (she still has her but she is a lot older now seeing that I have been out of high school for 8 years now). I promise I actually saw it happen before. She was fixed also. Someone told me before that it can actually be a dominance thing. Maybe your dog is just wanting to prove to the lion (? :confused: ) that he is dominant. Brady did that when he was a puppy right before he was fixed and the vet said he was still too young at the time to do it for the reasons he would have done it when he was older. He said he was just proving his dominance. I don't know if that is true or if he was just trying to convince me my dog was not some happy stuffed animal humper, but it sounded logical. I think.

poochie

watzup_puppy_dog
My dog does the same thing but he isnt desexed. When i try to take the teddy off him he growels at me but i know he isnt going to bite me so i just take it anyway. I think its just a hormone thing lol

I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner!

If the stuffed animals are washable, bait his favorite victims with black pepper. Load 'em up where he'll get a snootful when he grabs them to do the deed! He'll learn to ignore them in a hurry.

Jessie

Thanks everyone for the help, except for you Claudia, and I think it probably is a dominance thing. Maybe it is because he gets mistaken for a girl all the time.

Baileys

Our wiener dog does the same thing, only it's a bull dog that he humps on. The bull dog is fixed and Bailey isn't. It drives me absolutely bonkers when he does it. You can hear him all the way on the other side of the house, he makes this wheezing sound. Ick. Usually when I yell "Bad!" he stops and goes to his bed to pout. The boyfriend says it's just that he's a dominant dog and he's trying to exert his authority over the bull dog. (There is nothing more embarrassing than walking them both at the park and have the wiener dog decide he's gonna start humping on the bull dog in front of everyone. For this reason alone, I never walk them together anymore.) The bulldog tries to get away from him, but after a while, he's so worn out from running that he just falls down on the floor and Bailey's in hog heaven until I catch him and make him stop.
I hope it's just a phase that he grows out of, if not, I think I'll start callin' him Humper instead of Bailey.

Members online