Holly you were doing so well!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well as I had mentioned earlier Holly had gotten sick from eating a couple small chunks of beef heart that I had cut up for Hannah. Anyway she got really sick and just would not poop outside. She would poop in her crate and this went on for 3 days. Well now she is constantly peeing in her crate. She knows to let us know that she has to go outside. Outside of her crate she will go to the door and stand there. The problem is now with all the snow she likes to eat snow so she wants to go out every 15 minutes just so she can eat the snow. If we crate her for anything and she feels the need she will just go. Yesterday she went all day without peeing then I let her out at 1 a.m. when Mark got home, I crated her so we could watch t.v. and eat popcorn in piece and by 3 a.m. when I went to let her out again she had peed in her crate and was just laying in it. So I let her out we cleaned the crate and then we went to bed. Well by 8 a.m. we got up with Kenny and she was agian laying in a puddle of pee. We are cleaning the crate with bleach and she is going outside often (I'd say every 1 and 1/2 hours) during the day. We're taking her out telling her "go potty" and as soon as she's done we praise and treat. She was just doing so well though lately and I thought she was housebroken and was going to try letting her sleep uncrated during the night (she's 7 months old today:) ). Her crate is only big enough for her to turn around and lay down in and she's fed on the same schedule. The only thing different that I have been doing is not limiting her water at night and ofcourse she's been eating all the snow.

Saje

Island dweller
Do you clean her crate with an enzyme cleaner? That might help.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
We use bleach and we also use nature's miracle cleaner as well. These past few days with her have just been so frustrating with her. She was doing so good we considered her housebroken she knows to go outside she will tell you she has to go out but in her crate she makes no attempt to let you know she has to go she'll just go and then lay in it or stand around in it. She makes no noise until you actually smell it or get up to let her out in the morning and then she starts dancing around.

Saje

Island dweller
I'd stop with the bleach and just go with the nature's miracle. I'd also start taking her out more frequently until she gets into the routine again. She's still a pup so I wouldn't go with the 'she knows better' excuse. She may, or may not, but she's still a pup so work with her. ;)

Barb04

Super Moderator
I have heard many people say that they go through a phase where they don't remember what to do again. I'd say try the housetraining again as Saje suggested.

If its possible at all, put some shavings in the crate with her. You might want to put an old blanket down and have the crate sit on top of it though since shavings have a way of not always staying where you want them to LOL This way at least if she pees, the shavings will soak it up so her fur doesnt get most of it and it makes clean up a little easier (at least I find it does). Of course, this may not be possible though if you are using a wire crate.

You could also try leaving her out for one night. She may be associating the crate with peeing now. Perhaps being loose she will still come to alert you guys??? Or if possible switch crates to see if a different one shows any changes in her. Make sure it is a different colour, built a little different.

Have you ruled out UTI?

Members online

No members online now.