can pekingese swim?

i am setting up a pond in the yard that is 5 ft wide and 24 inches deep, now my 10 lb pekingese will be in the yard often with the pond and im worried he may jump in and drown. can they swim like any other dog?

avenlee

I'm not sure, but I think any dog can swim to a point. The only thing that would concern me is their ears and water getting in them. Small breeds tend to get ear infections VERY easily. My kids would take Sadie into the pool during the summer. She's black and would get extremely hot while out with the family in the yard. She developed a nasty ear infection from it and from now on is a NO NO. And although I think it was more the chlorine than anything, I think I'd consider any water would be a concern to look out for.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
always always when making a pool of water..have some kind of ramp so that whatever bird, squirrel or dog can find a way out. An easy way is to make a hardcloth bridge..it can be disguised so it doesn't show too much....ps..i saw a pomerian float on a site somewhere..they just laid the dog down i believe on it's back and there was so much air trapped that it floated.... if a bird falls in it has to have something to hook it's beak against to pull the weight of wet feathers and body out. The bugs will be able to get out too leaving u a cleaner pool.

Smkie is absolutely right. But yes, Peeks can swim just like any other dog. They just tire quickly because of their size, so make sure you have something to help her get out if she falls in.

Or you can get a net over the pond. It probably a good idea and will keep your dog from drinking the pond water, cant be that healthy.
-Jon

You should get a ramp, like smkie said. Some breeds can't swim as well as others. For example--the Bassett Hound vs. the Labrador Retriever.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
any dog will drown if he can't get his feet up over the edge..they have to have something to hang on to and get the lower feet on to brace up same as a person. I had a man i worked for that decided to use horse tanks for water tanks for his fowl. I had a lovely collection of peacock feathers because he wouldn't put a ramp..it doesn't take much in the tank when he installed it. We had a little ramp with slats on it for the ducks at the kennel i worked at. It was unobtrusive and didn't show much.

well it does have plant shelves on the sides, maybe that would give a lift. im still worried, even thinking about when it freezes over in winter, if he walks on it he will get cought in the ice. netting sounds good. a ramp might take over the whole pond since its not very big, but its worth a try
times like this i wish i had a newfie hehe

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my lab use to go down to the spring fed pond and float around like a big black hippo..he loved to be there and could do this for hours.

Members online

No members online now.