How to get my pup use to the bath

Agility23

My 2 older dogs hate the bath absolutley hate it so with my new puppy i would like her to get use to it. If any one could give me any advice for the first few baths i would be really greatful

Thanks

mojozen

bullie lover
you may want to consider showering your dogs. this is what i do with my own. he despises baths, but tolerates showers with a more "oh pity me" look. i can even get him to hop in and out of the bathtub on his own although generally i help him in due to his bad joints. You don't want the water too cold or too hot - i generally do it slightly warmer than lukewarm...

and just make it a positive adventure - when she's quiet praise her enthusiastically. if she starts to whimper and bark stop the praise, don't comfort her... just get it over with quickly and make drying off a huge game.

bath time is the only time mojo is allowed to play with towels...

BullyLover

On the lighter side....
mojozen said:
just get it over with quickly and make drying off a huge game.
Thats what I do with Stoli too.....she is so pathetic when I am bathing her....sad eyes...tail between her legs...shivering. But she loves getting dried off...like Mojo she will play with the towel and gets real excited. So, from my limited experience, Mojo's advice is spot on...get it over quick!

I watched a program on animal planet about this. The experts said to try to make it fun for them. Get them use to water splashing on them. I think they attempted this by playing with the dogs with a garden hose in the backyard. (Weather permitting). Eventually, they took the game into the bathroom. It seemed to work on tv......

Members online