My baby is in heat!!

femke

Well Penny finally has gone into heat. At ten months of age. She is bleeding quite a bit and is very clingy to me but other than that she's doing good.

I know we should have gotten her spayed, we just weren't able to save up the money up until recently and then we felt it was better to wait til she went through her first heat and wait for a while after and then get it done. I've been trying to read up on the forum as much as i could, and I swear we are being really responsible about this, I do NOT want her to have puppies so I will not give her ANY chance. She is on a leash at all times outside and has not been in contact with any other dogs. My mom warned me to keep an extra close eye on her after the first two weeks coz she might try to get out to find herself some fun... so I will do that for sure. I would just like to know how long I will have to wait til her heat will be over and til I can let her be around other dogs again, I want to take no chances! And how long should I wait before getting her spayed? I noticed her bleeding on sat jan. 14th, so a little over a week ago now.

hope you guys can help me out!

R

RedyreRottweilers

30 days from the onset of bleeding before interaction with other dogs.

60 days from onset of bleeding for spaying.

bubbatd

I'd wait 3 to 4 months to let her hormones go back to normal . The 30 day heat seems a little bit long, but it's better to be safe than sorry !

R

RedyreRottweilers

If you wait 4 mos after the onset of bleeding she is back into her prep for another cycle.

30 to 40 days into Diestrus is ideal.

30 days after onset of bleeding is almost foolproof for preventing any accidental breeding, and many bitches are the most fertile at the END of their cycles.

bubbatd

I would have her fixed now .... why wait and go through the heat ?

bubbatd

Redy... I agree to some point.... One of my males bred a female in to be bred on the 21st day ..... as she was going home !

femke

I figure I will wait two months then until i spay her? that should be enough time. I am definately waiting 30 days then til I let her be around other dogs again, it's true, better safe than sorry! and I really dont want to end up with her knocked up... lol

kaleighsadrienne, I knew it was around this time that it would happen so i just kept my eye on penny, as soon as I noticed she was licking herself an awful lot I checked and yup... I agree with bubbatd tho, if you can afford it right now then get her spayed! It's really quite a mess plus you gotta keep an eye on them all the time to make sure nothing can happen (dont want to end up with puppies!!) thanks for the advice you guys! It's been almost two weeks now since she started bleeding so I figure another two weeks after that and then we should be safe again:D thanks!!:)

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Jada, our little female SHeltie has been in heat for the past 17 days. She is driving Crosby and Riot nuts! I'm glad I have Riot over at the Border COllies place! lol at least these girls are fixed. Each time he comes home Jada swings her but at him.. Shes quite the easy little girl lol! "ohh your a boy aren't you.."

Crosby is locked in confinment in the basement until shes finished lol

femke

SummerRiot said:
Jada, our little female SHeltie has been in heat for the past 17 days. She is driving Crosby and Riot nuts! I'm glad I have Riot over at the Border COllies place! lol at least these girls are fixed. Each time he comes home Jada swings her but at him.. Shes quite the easy little girl lol! "ohh your a boy aren't you.."

Crosby is locked in confinment in the basement until shes finished lol
aww your poor boys!! I know they're quite the slutty little girls aren't they??? hehe. How old is your sheltie now? Penny's ten months! it sure is a mess... lol. She's at 14 days now! what a coincedence eh! (I never can spell that word... :eek: )

Members online

No members online now.