Which small animals poop/pee often and everywhere?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'm really curious!

With the sugar gliders, they generally poop/pee within 10 minutes of waking up. I don't really have to worry about them going to the bathroom while I have them out.

When I had chinchillas, there would be so much poop! They'd poop everywhere and all the time, so it wouldn't matter when I took them out.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
My rat girls dribble urine, other people say theirs don't, but mine definitely do. We'll see if the babies do. It's just dribbling though, not full on bladder peeing at least, lol. Fortunately they wait to poop until they are back in the cage.

Maxy24

That's the one reason I don't think I'll own rats, I don't want to have to go change after handling the because I have pee stains on my clothes. The gerbils rarely peed on me, but there was the occasional poo, usually if they were scared.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
That's the one reason I don't think I'll own rats, I don't want to have to go change after handling the because I have pee stains on my clothes. The gerbils rarely peed on me, but there was the occasional poo, usually if they were scared.
Yeah, I have "rat clothes" that I wear only when they have out of cage time. If you just pick them up out of their cage they don't dribble (or mine don't at least) but when they get on the ground and start running around they do. I just swiffer the bathroom floor after out of cage time :p

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Ferrets digestive system only takes 2-3 hours, so... About every 2-3 hours they are pooping :p. it's really a lot of **** a day for three ferrets...

B

Blue_Dog

My rats pooped a lot anywhere they played. But the rat love was worth the extra time it took to clean up after them. That certainly wouldn't be a deciding factor for me in any case.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Oh and yah, they don't poop anywhere, they go in a litter box. Or, they did. Ren has recently decided he should crap anywhere BUT the litter box, which has taught Ella that's ok. Harley is the only good ferret at my house.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
My rats pooped a lot anywhere they played. But the rat love was worth the extra time it took to clean up after them. That certainly wouldn't be a deciding factor for me in any case.
So true. If you had told me they peed everywhere I probably would not have rescued my first three, so I am really glad that nobody did, because then I never would have known what amazing little animals they are. It doesn't even bother me to clean it up every day because they are so worth it

The other night Ryan said "I'd be perfectly all right just having rats from now on" lol. They are just THAT awesome. he also said "how bad is it going to suck if the new babies aren't as awesome as the girls" and I was like DON'T SAY THAT!! Lol

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Rats definitely go to the bathroom a lot lol. I let mine play on my bed but I have to throw an old sheet/blanket over it to protect my blankets from waste :p The babies will sometimes pee outside of the cage but mostly they just poop. Oh God the pooping.

And I also have to vacuum out inside and underneath their cage every day because there is POOP EVERYWHERE.

But I love them so it's okay. And poop is easier to deal with than pee.

The hamsters were the same. Biggest mistake is putting them in those exercise balls... because then they pee in it and it coats the ball and leaks out everywhere and then you take your hamster out and they're covered in pee. Yep.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
You know, in all my years of owning hamsters as a kid, I've had one hamster pee in the ball, and that was probably because Rosey decided to play soccer with t and sent the hamster in the ball flying down the road.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
The hamsters were the same. Biggest mistake is putting them in those exercise balls... because then they pee in it and it coats the ball and leaks out everywhere and then you take your hamster out and they're covered in pee. Yep.
Oh god. I remember that. Yuck.

Birds poop/pee everywhere as well. Way better than small animals as far as in the cage goes, since they're generally living quite a ways above the mess, so it doesn't need to be cleaned as often. And if you place perches/toys/dishes strategically, they stay clean.

They make flight vest/diapers for when they're out of the cage so they don't make a mess everywhere. My friend used these on her Cockatoos, since they were out of the cage the majority of the time.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
The rats constantly dribble urine, but they only poop in their cage. The piggies I had would leave little poos out of the cage, but not pee. And the ferrets go every few hours. Lol Dameon is litter trained, but Ruben would go where ever he wanted (or mostly) and it drove me batty.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Hamsters. Ugh my hamster used to poop ALL THE TIME in her little ball, on me, on the floor.

(oh and for the record.. larger birds can hold it. Our parrot is trained to only "go" in his cage.. I know a few other larger parrots who also are trained that way)

K

Kaydee

I suppose rabbits could be trained to use a corner litterbox I dunno...but the cute little bunnies we had turned into huge mean pooping machines...never again

Locke

I suppose rabbits could be trained to use a corner litterbox I dunno...but the cute little bunnies we had turned into huge mean pooping machines...never again
Rabbits are really easy to litter train. When my rabbit had free roam, she ONLY used her litterbox. She was such a good girl.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I never figured out how to litter train my rabbits. I loved them but the white pee stains and constant poop (omg the dogs loved it) turned me off for good.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
The rats would do little pees all over everything. None of them pooped everywhere, but they definitely got pee everywhere. One of the girls made sure to pee on only me when she was out of her cage, lol. The mice, gerbils, hamsters, and piggies pooped/peed anywhere. And the bird. He really pooped EVERYWHERE.

SarahHound

Guinea pigs, without a doubt. Yuck. I've owned a lot of small animals, and guinea pigs are by far the worst, in me experience! My rabbits are really good, very rarely do I find a poo or pee out of place.

Members online

No members online now.