Must Have Puppy Items

Maxy24

We started our puppy shopping today. We've gotten a bed (that neko likes a lot), Food bowls (and a mat to go under them), Some toys (kong, another rubber toy, small tennis balls, rope toys, we need a plush toy still), and something to store dry food in. Mom got him a sweater lol.

We still need lots of stuff of course, collar, harness, leash, shampoo, pee cleaner, a toy box, food, treats, a long leash for the park. Phoebe's owners are giving us her old crate so long as it's the right size. I already have a dremel and nail clippers (not sure which we'll like better), a hair brush and toothpaste (I'll need another toothbrush).

So I was wondering what items you found really important and useful when getting your pup. Were there certain kinds of toys that were really great (or terrible), what kind of shampoo is best? Any advice at all on buying puppy stuff?

CaliTerp07

An egg timer. When I've fostered puppies, I carry that thing with me everywhere so that every 30 minutes it dings and reminds me to take the dog outside!

Pam111

Either a water bottle or a bowl that attaches to the crate for water

Doberluv

I love the idea of an egg timer and setting it for every 30 minutes. Wonderful idea.

It really sounds like you've got it covered.

I like oatmeal shampoo personally...nice and gentle.

My dogs couldn't have plush toys. They all are hard chewers, but you might as well experiment. Some dogs are great with them.

I kind of like, (although it's certainly not necessary) those nylon, collapsable water bowls that you can fold up and stuff somewhere. I keep mine in my car all the time and when I have my dogs with me and I'm traveling, which I do fairly often, I can give them water along the way. And if the car gets hot inside, it just dries by itself. I put it somewhere like the cargo area so it doesn't get anything damp. It's easy to stuff in a tote if you're going to be out and about for a long time with your pup or visiting someone.

I also like to stock my car with a few rags or baby wipes in case their feet get muddy. So, depending on how much your pup will be in the car, you might think of things to keep in it to make things more convenient.

I'd wait until winter to see how big he gets before buying a winter coat.

Other than that, I can't think of anything to add. You're really preparing yourself well. Did you puppy proof? Electrical outlets, cords, small stuff etc? Hahaha! That's fun!

I can't wait to see your pictures. This is very exciting!

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Nylabones, some "puppy teething chewer" things. A clicker (if you don't have one/planned on using one). Food (lol) Treats. Brush/comb.

Ack I can't remember, the poodles got all hand-me downs except collar/leashes.

GoingNowhere

paper towels and Resolve! :)

oh, and baby gates. They are second only to a crate in my house when the foster puppies come!

Easy to wash old towels are great for a crate liner because they are soft, but easy to keep clean.

hard bones can also be a great distractor for furniture chewing (because they are of a similar hardness/texture.) Also - kongs are a lifesaver for the puppy that likes to howl through the night because he or she is bored.

and you'll need tiny training treats of course. :)

ETA: pups are like kids and seem to like anything new. All toys seem to be hits for the first few hours, so to keep things interesting and to provide a high value "trade item," rotate the toys so they don't get too boring. I can't imagine your chi mix pup destroying any toys at this age, so I'd just try out a bunch of different types.

have fun!

Maxy24

Thanks for the suggestions. 8 days to go *dies*.

Don't have an egg timer, I think I'll see how we go just watching the clock. If I have to I can set my cell phone to go off as often as I want.

We definitely need a crate water bowl.

I do want to get a plush toy but want him having hard toys too. I found with some dogs once they get used to always having plush toys they never touch hard toys. Max refused all hard toys, only liked plush. Phoebe is the same way now.

Mom wants to get one of the collapsible water bowls because she plans to bring him with her whenever she goes anywhere. The hotel they stay at near my college allows pets so he'll always come along. Plus for going to the park or any parades it would be easy to carry.

I've cleaned up the floors pretty well, the only thing it's hard to clean up are wires. There are two places where there are wires we cannot put away. In my brother's room where the desk top computer is, and in the living room where the laptop is set up. Luckily we've never had wire chewers (cats included) so I'm not sure what we'll do if he decides wires are awesome but we'll figure something out. He can be kept out of Brian's room but not the living room where the laptop is. For a while he'll be kept on leash anyways.

We're gonna wait on food and treats until later next week.

We do need another gate, we have one but need one for my room and one for the stairs since we're not sure he'll be able to o down those. My room belongs to the cat so until they like him it's a no puppy zone, we ant to make this as easy on the cats as possible.

We will rotate toys, this dog is gonna be spoiled rotten so he'll have no shortage of those lol.

It's very exciting, the wait is killing us, hopefully this next week will go by faster since I'll be busy.

Maxy24

We've got pretty much everything we need now. We found a plush toy small enough for him to carry (which was more difficult than you'd think lol), bought the nature's miracle, collapsible water bowl, shampoo, leash, harness, and collar that I really hope fit, a long leash, and food. Still need treats and a toy box. My uncle and aunt brough over the crate yesterday but I've been at my cousin's house dogsitting so haven't seen it. I forgot to ask if it came with a water bowl. Still need another gate, I meant to ask uncle if they didn't want theirs anymore, I'll have to do that when I get home or ask mom to do that.

We also got a note from his foster mom. So far they have not done any work on housebreaking for outside (uses paper inside right now), in fact it sounds like he's not been outside much at all. She says he's been too small for a leash so he hasn't been on one yet, she carries him from house to car to wherever he needs to go. So we'll be starting from scratch with that, which will be fun :p . She says he's very playful, loves to wrestle with his brother and run around with a toy in his mouth, she says he's sweet and overall a great little dog. She said to expect some SA from missing his brother which we expected. Hopefully Neko will warm up to him quickly (Willie won't) so he'll have someone to cuddle with. Hopefully Phoebe will learn how to play with him. I don't know if she's ever met a dog this small. Four more days to go!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
My dogs LOVE the Petstages brand toys. I think we have about every single one they make.

One of Tucker's favorite toys (still!) is the teething Orka pinecone.

Rory also has a large Orka attached to a rope and he loves playing with it as well. Like this:

My dogs have been loving Antlerz lately. They hold up really well for chewing.

Congrats on your pup!!! :D I'm so happy that you can finally have one!

I recommend a blanket, a pillow so the can rest when you are at the PC or watching TV.

Also if you want a really tiny dog treat I recommend sojo's good dog treats, they are 1" in size perfect for toy pups with those mini teeth Good Dog Gourmet Dog Treats

I got a Chicken Pot Pie for my pup and he loves them and he can chew it without problems. ;)

Members online

No members online now.