Single Malt Scotch Drinkers Help!

Michiyo-Fir

Any single malt scotch drinkers?

What's your favourite scotch?

I'm looking to buy a nice bottle for someone but I don't drink scotch and don't know anything about it. Any suggestions? Price range between 70-130.

I think so far, I'm thinking between

Ardbeg Uigeadail
Caol Ila Distillers Edition

Any opinions on the 2 or other favourites I should look at?

I don't drink it with any sort of regularity, but we have Laphroaig Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky. I don't know if it's a "good" single malt or not. I think we have it because my husband's coworker suggested it as a good single malt at a good price point. *shrug* not really any help.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Laphroaig is a Scotch drinker's Scotch, as in they need to already really enjoy Scotch. If you're not sure what they like, you can't go wrong with a bottle of Dalwhinnie, Balvenie (12 or 15), Highland Park 12 or Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Zoom gave good advice, similar to the brands I might have recommended. Do you know what's already in their cupboard? The other half has a bottle of the Uigeadail and it's a stellar Islay IMO, but the regular Ardbeg 10 is also awesome.

Depending on price, Lagavulin 16 is a great gifting scotch for someone too, but I know its price can vary widely.

Michiyo-Fir

This is my biggest problem..

There about about 10 bottles already in his cupboard! I think I've seen Glenlivet, laphroaig, Balvenie and Highlands park.. It's hard to creep someone else's cupboard!

He's a biiig scotch drinker but I don't recall ever hearing him talk about Ardbeg or the other one. But even then I'm not sure. :/

Zoom

Twin 2.0
If you can somehow hunt down a bottle of Clynelish, get that. It's rather hard to find and might make for a good unique bottle to add to his collection. Possibly also Talisker.

D*mmit, I am so thirsty now, LOL.

Michiyo-Fir

Is it Clynelish Distillers Edition? We have that in the city, I can track one down.

Can you guys tell me if Ardbeg Uigeadail is really common in bars and pubs or not? I know he's tried a lot of them.. I want to get him something he hasn't had

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Is it Clynelish Distillers Edition? We have that in the city, I can track one down.

Can you guys tell me if Ardbeg Uigeadail is really common in bars and pubs or not? I know he's tried a lot of them.. I want to get him something he hasn't had
Here in Canada the Uigeadail is NOT common in the liquor stores or drinking establishments. We found it by chance at a scotch-centric bar in Montreal, and then he had to hunt down a bottle just outside the city.

Michiyo-Fir

Here in Canada the Uigeadail is NOT common in the liquor stores or drinking establishments. We found it by chance at a scotch-centric bar in Montreal, and then he had to hunt down a bottle just outside the city.
Thanks. Hahaha this is even worse! He's from Quebec! I wonder if they have more Ardbeg there! I have never seen the name before (but I don't look too much for scotch to begin with). Decisions decisions!

milos_mommy

Does he have any buddies or anyone around he drinks scotch with or talks about it you could ask??

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Thanks. Hahaha this is even worse! He's from Quebec! I wonder if they have more Ardbeg there! I have never seen the name before (but I don't look too much for scotch to begin with). Decisions decisions!
I doubt it, if that helps! We couldn't find it in any SAQs in Quebec near us in Ottawa, and we just lucked out in finding a Scotch-centric bar in Montreal that had a ton of rarer scotches available to sip. They even had a 1991 Lagavulin. MMMMMmmm.

Members online