Dogo Argentino

Pacha

I´ll have a female whith 3 month old, and I would like same advices for a good training. Thks :confused:

Hi, Pacha. What kind of environment is she in, town, rural, farm? I've got Filas, and being on a farm as working dogs I probably do things a bit differently with them than I would if they were in town.

Do you have her now, or are you expecting to get her in the near future?

Saje

Island dweller
Ahhh. I don't have anything useful to say but I was curious what the "dogo" was and I see it means mastiff. Or that seems the logical translation. Cuz when I was first reading dogo argentino I was like Argentinian dog? THat's not right it would be Perro Argentino but now I get it and that's all I have to say about that.

Except:

I've been to Argentina and it was great!

Pacha

Hi Rene, I live in Portugal near Lisbon. I dont have the puppie yet, i´ll have in April. It will be a female who i´ll live in a town near the beach and a great park. I live in apartement but the dogo can do a lot of exercice (beach, park).

I´ll thanks for advices

This is going to be such fun, Pacha! The Dogo is cousin to the Fila (I have two girls, Shiva and Kharma). The first and foremost thing is that these are dogs that want to be by your side every possible moment. Lots and lots of love and attention from the very beginning and you'll be off to a flying start.

The next thing that is EXTREMELY important is lots of socialization. Take her places with you from the very beginning (just being careful never to have her in a situation where she could be stolen; they're very appealing to the wrong sorts of people). Let her learn what normal situations are so that she will learn to relax around strangers and other dogs. I can't remember off the top of my head of the Dogo is as non-dog aggressive as the Fila, but that is definitely something you want to encourage.

I'm going to strongly suggest that you get her a halter to walk with. It will give you much better control and will also give her a great feeling of security and being "connected" to you.

You want to bond strongly with this dog and you also want her to understand that you are the head of the family. One of my favorite things to do to for this is to share my last bite of food with my dog. The dog (or in my case dogs) must wait until I am finished with my meal, but then I give them a portion of it - much like the dominant wolf eats his fill then lets the other members of his family eat.

Of course, there's a lot more, but these are some basics so you can start looking forward to what you will be getting into. You're going to have so much fun with your Dogo.

Members online

No members online now.