I'm confused....

xpaeanx

Ok, so I have a woman coming out to meet the foster today after work... so since I can't find my old adoption contract, I had to look for a new one.

Anyway, I found one from a rescue that says:

I understand that I am not PURCHASING a pet but ADOPTING and SAVING THE LIFE of an orphaned pet and therefore there is NO TRIAL PERIOD and will be NO refund for ANY reason other than the pet being terminally ill (and this is confirmed by one of our vets).
I always thought rescues gave you some time to make sure the dog was a good fit for your family?? Most rescues are adults with unknown background and breeding, so unlike a puppy from a responsible breeder you really have no idea what your getting until you have it.

It's not just me thinking this is weird is it?

Dogs6

Plus One
It seems weird to me but I have never really seen a contrack from a rescue so i'm probably not the best person to answer. Hopefully someone more experianced will tell you

xpaeanx

It seems very weird to me...

Almost all the rescues I know state up and down how if there are any problems with the animal to call them, and if things are just plain not working out that they'll take the dog back.

Amanda885

I always thought they give you a small several day trial period with dogs. I know a place locally my friend went that he found on petfinder let him return it because he lost his job and had to move and had to return her the day after he got her. he was so sad about it.

Maxy24

I know our rescue will take the dog, in fact they want the dog back, but you will get no refund. I suppose if it were something really awful they might get refunded but not for the general "he didn't fit in" type return.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
the one neer me gives you 7 days...if after 7 days the dogs just not fitting in you can take it back and either readopt or wait for a new prospect.
they keep your "credit" of the adoption fee on file for 6 months, if you dont perminently adopt a dog within 6 months you forfeit your adption fee as a "donation" to the shelter.

Dakota Spirit

Devious Little Terrier
With my local shelter, there is a 30 day 'trial' period. If you bring the animal back within that amount of time because he hasn't worked out for whatever reason, you can exchange him for hopefully a better fit. I'm not positive but I don't *think* we give monetary refunds. I haven't actually dealt with a situation that required one though.

That said, we'll ALWAYS take the animal back. But if it's been longer then a month, I believe you have to pay for any new adoptions you make.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I think the wording is wrong ... they probably MEANT that there were no refunds. I've run into that several times when applying to rescues ... it's to be expected. But ALL would take the dog back. I think they just need to revise the contract! LOL

lizzybeth727

I know our rescue will take the dog, in fact they want the dog back, but you will get no refund. I suppose if it were something really awful they might get refunded but not for the general "he didn't fit in" type return.
That's the way my organization handles it if we have a "failed" service dog that needs to be adopted to a pet home. But at that point we usually know a LOT about the dog and do a good job of screening out adopters and matching households with the right dog. We do let potential adopters "foster" the dog for a weekend or something to get an idea of what the dog is like, but they have to pay the adoption fee and fill out all the paperwork before they take the dog; if it doesn't work out at the end of the weekend we'll give them the money back, but if they keep the dog even one day longer we'll keep the money and there are no refunds. And the adopters are required to give us the dog back if it doesn't work out.

We had a dog a few years ago that went to I think three different adoptive homes before someone finally kept her (we TOLD them exactly what the dog would do if left unsupervised and uncrated, but they didn't listen); so technically we got the adoption fee three times. Of course it still didn't cover how much we spent on the dog in the mean time. :rolleyes:

The beagle rescue I am involved with gives a 2 week period where you may return, but no refund is given UNLESS specific extenuating(sp) circumstances.

Most of the time, the money is absorbed the second the dog is adopted and then we would have the owners writing personal checks.

xpaeanx

I can understand no refunds, that's fine.

But if I remember correctly, this particular contract went on to say if you brought the dog back there would be a fee for that too!

But I'm glad to see most places understand the need for a trial period to make sure the dog fits in.

lizzybeth727

I think it's pretty WRONG to charge a fee to bring the dog back. Especially if you already charged an adoption fee. I'd think twice about adopting an animal if I had to pay a fee to return the animal if it didn't work out.

Members online

No members online now.