Lil Cici's peepee problem

ezeri

Cici, our new "mut" pup, is having a difficult time with NOT going in the house. She will go outside if we're out there, but does not know how to let us know she has to go. I can't wait for this training guide I've got on the way! In the meantime, any advice?

R

RedyreRottweilers

Yes. Read the stickies here and in the training section on house training.

This subject has been covered MANY times here. :D

A

Angel Chicken

How old is she?

I am a huge fan of the "Put them on a lead, and clip them to your belt" method. This keeps them in sight of you, so you can easily tell when it's time to go.

Also watch for signs like sniffing, circling, walking funny... these are classic signs of having to go out.

ezeri

She is 4 months old, we just received her from a neighbor where a 7 year old child was in charge of caring for her.

A

Angel Chicken

She is 4 months old, we just received her from a neighbor where a 7 year old child was in charge of caring for her.
Oh, lovely! /end sarcasm

Anywho, do as Red said. Read the stickies. Even do a search (see the "Search" option next to the "New Posts" button) on house training.

Domestika

At first, I took my puppy out every hour. I set an alarm. 24 hours a day. After a couple of days with no accidents I started taking her out every 2 hours and so on. If the pup has an accident, go back to the previous stage (less time between pee breaks).

I'd also recommend an enzyme cleaner (kills the pee smell that dogs can smell but we can't).

Maxy24

Yup, make sure the pup is always in your sight, which means use a leash! Anything that looks like restless behavior (unable to settle, sits, stands downs and stand over and over walking in between sits or downs) as well as sniffing, circling, pacing, scratching floor etc. But for now pups needs to go out every 2 hours or so. When you are not home I suggest crating him so there will be no accidents. Always reward for outside potty and make sure there is no playing outside until AFTER the pup goes potty so she'll know outside always means business first.

Other than that, read the stickies and do a search, you'll find a lot of info here.

Members online

No members online now.