Separation anxiety..?

Cheza

Hey guys,
We have a little problem.

I posted a bit a while ago about Cheza being obnoxious in her crate. Since then we've tried everything; from ignoring it to stuffed frozen kongs...

Recently I've been leaving her un-kenneled while I run to the store for a few minutes at a time to see how she handles being alone in the house.

Key points I've discovered from this:

-it isn't her kennel she doesn't like, it's being alone. As soon as I shut the door to leave I can hear her shrieking. It isn't whining, it's like a child screaming. And she carries on like this for up to an hour in her kennel, and I have come home from the store to find her still carrying on. Today was the first time she was quiet when I walked in the door (she was laying on the couch.)

-Special toys, treats, whatever, have absolutely no effect. She will ignore them as soon as I leave, and start screaming.

-She isn't destructive, doesn't go to the bathroom on the floor, etc. while she isn't kenneled.

It confuses me so much because she's a very independent dog otherwise... she isn't much of a snugglebug and during the day when I'm home is very good at entertaining herself.
Even in her kennel, we put her in there with her treats and the tv on, and she begins to shriek/howl. If I crack the door, she is laying down with her back to the door carrying on. Not anxiously watching the door or anything.

I don't know what to do but it's getting to be too much. We're in an apartment and would really like our neighbours to not have to deal with the noise. I can't even explain how obnoxious it is. It's really horrible.

We're trying our best not to reinforce it but there are times when i just want to walk in there and scream at her to SHUT UP. I'll be starting to work in the next couple of weeks and will be gone all day... we don't yet trust her alone in the house for that long so she will have to be kenneled...

Anyone have any suggestions? We're willing to try ANYTHING at this point...

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Is there a doggie daycare in your area? I think there are some dogs that just can not be alone for long. They NEED to be around someone. Or what about getting another dog so she has a buddy to be with?

Cheza

There's not one nearby, but there's one kinda on the way to work.
Unfortunately they charge a little more than we can afford at the moment. Once I've been working for awhile, it's definately an option but we need a bit of a nest egg at the moment.

Hmm it's possible we could look into adopting another adult dog. Couldn't do with anothing puppy at this time.

Thanks!

Herschel

If she isn't destructive, then I don't see a problem. Its sad that she gets so worked up about it but there isn't much you can do. She'll get used to it--eventually.

Cheza

Well the problem is the noise level in an apartment with neighbours on all sides. If there's honestly nothing that can be done about it, then so be it I guess.

Members online

No members online now.