A friend for Crossbone

k9krazee

There's been some serious talk about adding a dog in 2014. Crossbone just LOVES the company of other dogs and I've always loved having multiples. DH is on board and wants one just as much or more than me! (which he has always been a 0 to 1 dog person). We've been checking out petfinder periodically or talked about grabbing a Koolie when we're in Australia in January.

What we're looking for:
- Between 14-19" tall
- Med/High Energy - needs to love to play and keep up with Crossbone. He loves to wrestle, chase and play tug with dogs. Fetching is a major plus.
- Adaptable- needs to be able to travel every other weekend to different houses with us that could have other dogs, kids, etc
- We're gone between 7 & 13 hours a day for 18 days each month (we're home or travel with the dogs the other 12) but walk/bike/jog 4 miles 3-5x per working week
- happy & friendly

Dogs we've talked about:
I've been toying around with rescue vs breeder. I've never had a dog from a reputable breeder and would love to have some idea about temperament & health, especially because I love dog sports. But I haven't found "my breed" and love the idea of having a slightly older rescue mutt.

- Another cattle dog mix or rescue.Would love to have a small female. Only concern really is no health testing/temperament guarantee.

- Koolie - Major concern, among others, is their size and intensity with our 750 sq ft house and 4ft jumpable fence.

- DH LOVES the look of Chinese Cresteds but I can't find ANY good breeders and they're not terribly sporty

- Rat terrier? Not sure if I want another terrier and I'd have to do a lot more research

- Mini Poodle - DH thinks they're scary looking but I think it'd be a good traveler and I could see it meshing well with Crossbone

Any suggestions or opinions?!?!

:D

SaraB

There's been some serious talk about adding a dog in 2014. Crossbone just LOVES the company of other dogs and I've always loved having multiples. DH is on board and wants one just as much or more than me! (which he has always been a 0 to 1 dog person). We've been checking out petfinder periodically or talked about grabbing a Koolie when we're in Australia in January.

What we're looking for:
- Between 14-19" tall - Koolie fits
- Med/High Energy - needs to love to play and keep up with Crossbone. He loves to wrestle, chase and play tug with dogs. Fetching is a major plus. Depending on what lines you are looking at, koolies range from medium to high energy. They are known to have great off-switches if fostered from puppyhood.
- Adaptable- needs to be able to travel every other weekend to different houses with us that could have other dogs, kids, etc Koolies tend to go with the flow. Mine travel to people's houses, trials, training centers, work, odd locations like county fairs for demos without skipping a beat.
- We're gone between 7 & 13 hours a day for 18 days each month (we're home or travel with the dogs the other 12) but walk/bike/jog 4 miles 3-5x per working week Shouldn't be a problem with any high energy breed. As long as they are getting a predictable outlet for their energy, longer days aren't an issue.
- happy & friendly This should be the koolie motto. At least for a koolie in correct temperament.

Dogs we've talked about:
I've been toying around with rescue vs breeder. I've never had a dog from a reputable breeder and would love to have some idea about temperament & health, especially because I love dog sports. But I haven't found "my breed" and love the idea of having a slightly older rescue mutt.

- Koolie - Major concern, among others, is their size and intensity with our 750 sq ft house and 4ft jumpable fence. Zip Tie figured out how to jump our 3.5' potty area fence, but hasn't ever thought twice about jumping our 4' chain link fence. All of my dogs easily could, however, I'm pretty careful about not leaving them outside unattended for long periods of time. They are only outside when we are or if we have the windows open and are periodically checking on them.

As far as house size, we have a 1,100 sq foot house, but only really live in the upstairs. I don't find the close quarters to be a hinderance with three high energy dogs except for when they are all running around crazy and wrestling. Then I solve that by either shoving them outside, working them, or crating one so the other two can play. However, I have to deal with this because I don't deal with chaos very well and it's my way of coping.

- Mini Poodle - DH thinks they're scary looking but I think it'd be a good traveler and I could see it meshing well with Crossbone
I adore mini poodles. That's all.

Answers in purple!

MicksMom

- DH LOVES the look of Chinese Cresteds but I can't find ANY good breeders and they're not terribly sporty...
Check out this video. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zlhkMwppKw

Diva wasn't the only Crested Lisi did agility with. I've known of others who have, too. I also know many who do obedience, and there's at least one who does UKC weight pull.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Uhm, you need a Lucy. That is all.

Pool Day by DJetzel, on Flickr

In all seriousness, if you don't mind LOUD(er), then a Kooligan may be a good fit. I'm just one to push cattle dogs of course. Lol! :D

ETA: Lucy would be an amazing sports dog. Just another thing to think about.

k9krazee

That video made me cry. I would absolutely do more Crestie breeder research -- I'm very particular about which ones I like.
ETA -- DH calls them "those beautiful punk rock dogs"

Meagan, I think we need to have a Crossbone/Lucy play date!!!!! Lol at the LOUD(er). I swear Crossbone barked more than Traveler or Didgie (or Frag & Rider) at the park.

milos_mommy

I'd look into a crestie a little bit more...I've known some pretty athletic ones, and I believe MafiaPrincess does agility with Arson.

The mini poodles I've known have not been a fan of any kind of rough-housing, wrestling, etc. with other dogs.

In your situation, I think I'd be looking for another herding mix rescue, but personally I've always leaned towards rescue dogs.

k9krazee

I know Cresties are athletic, we see a few who do agility at some of the venues I frequent, they're just not terribly serious about the game.

Grab

I can't speak for herding breeds, so others with more experience can help there :) I do know of several very sporty Mini Poodles. Most are up for anything .not dainty foo foo dogs at all.

What we're looking for:
- Between 14-19" tall

Both Traveler and Didgie are over that (Didgie is 20 in & Traveler is close to 22 in) But many Koolies would fall into that height, especially females.

- Med/High Energy - needs to love to play and keep up with Crossbone. He loves to wrestle, chase and play tug with dogs. Fetching is a major plus.

Endless amount of energy and go but a VERY nice inherent off switch. But, that needs to be rewarded and encouraged and busy behavior not rewarded. It would be relatively easy to create a dog with the need to be doing something in them because they do find DOING THINGS rewarding.

Didgie is a more busy dog but it's in a nice way, she finds bones and chews on them or finds a toy and plays with it. She tends to go lay down on one couch, get up five minutes later and go lay down on another and so on. Traveler doesn't tend to entertain himself but rather just goes into stasis mode where he quietly waits for me to move.

Overall Didgie and Traveler probably get individually 2-3 off leash hikes a week and 2-3 bike rides a week during spring/summer/fall. They also tend to get either disc play and/or flirt pole for a little bit daily. That being said, it's not a stretch to say that sometimes they go a week without really getting anything and during the winter I go into hibernation and they don't get anywhere near what they probably should. They deal incredibly well with that though.

They both enjoy playing and wrestling with each other a ton.

- Adaptable- needs to be able to travel every other weekend to different houses with us that could have other dogs, kids, etc

I don't do a ton of going to other people's houses and tend to not instill great house manners with mine so they aren't always the best behaved with that. But, if I had put in the work with that it would be no problem and as it is they still go everywhere with me with no real issues and take everything in stride. People and other animals are never a problem.

- We're gone between 7 & 13 hours a day for 18 days each month (we're home or travel with the dogs the other 12) but walk/bike/jog 4 miles 3-5x per working week

- happy & friendly

Yeeep!

- Koolie - Major concern, among others, is their size and intensity with our 750 sq ft house and 4ft jumpable fence.

]I don't even have a fence and don't really have any issues. Didgie and Traveler can both be loose in the yard (Traveler took longer so he was on a long line a lot but he's a good boy now.

Also, my house is small and we have four dogs currently in it. I like crazy so I don't mind the insanity but honestly it's not a big deal at all. Overall they lay around/entertain themselves inside just fine when things aren't happening.

Answers in green!

milos_mommy

I can't speak for herding breeds, so others with more experience can help there :) I do know of several very sporty Mini Poodles. Most are up for anything .not dainty foo foo dogs at all.
I'm just curious because you might have more experience than me:

While the poodles I know are extremely athletic, active, and not too dainty for sports in any way, I've NEVER seen one wrestle with another dog or tug. IME they like other dogs, and will try to "play", but it's never really wrestling or tugging.

Writing this, I'm also realizing the majority of dogs I work with are pit bulls or other large bully breeds, so "wrestling" and "tug" might be a little more intense than other breed's owners have in mind.

Hey Linds how are your two when introduced to small dogs/animals?
Traveler thinks little dogs walk on water. He absolutely adores them to the point it's probably one of his highest distractions. He lays on the ground and rolls around in front of them, gives them his butt to hump and just tries to love them to death.

Didgie really doesn't act one way or another, she normally doesn't have much time for other dogs unless she's fixated on them moving but she and Siri had a blast together and played great.

Both have been around small dogs at the dog park and never had any issues at all (Unless you call Traveler trying to get them to hump him an issue....)

Small animals, well Didgie and Traveler play fine with my ferrets but ferrets are pretty hardy animals and can hold their own pretty well :D

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Shelties would fit in that height range and would be suitable for the energy levels, but of course if you get a nice one with appropriate energy levels you'd be looking at some of the same potential intensity challenges of wild crazy play and running in the house (I let Auggie and Payton chase each other up and down the hall, it drives my dad crazy but I think it's kinda funny.) and potentially jumping the fence. I don't leave my guys outside alone either. Payton could jump the fence at my parent's house if he wanted to, and could jump the front fence and chain link at my house if he wanted to, but since he's not left out alone by himself he doesn't have any inkling to do so. He has however jumped out of an ex-pen if I try to pen him up while I work another dog.
OTOH you then have the hair issue to deal with, which IMO isn't a big deal, but I know some people can't stand dog hair. And they do need some serious grooming twice a year during coat-blowing times, but if you're not picky the way I am (nobody grooms my dogs but me and certainly nobody scissors my dogs but me) you could just have somebody else do it.

Payton barked more than Zinga too. But Sara said "at least he has a nice bark." I'm pretty sure she only thinks that that's because she doesn't live with him.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
While the poodles I know are extremely athletic, active, and not too dainty for sports in any way, I've NEVER seen one wrestle with another dog or tug. IME they like other dogs, and will try to "play", but it's never really wrestling or tugging.
Lincoln (red Miniature Poodle in siggie) plays tug and rough houses with Charlie. Their favorite game is keep away/chase and then body slam into each other. If she doesn't do what he wants she bites his legs (I'm pretty sure he thinks he's a Border Schnauzer because he plays like a combination of the two playfullest dogs).

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Yeah, Cleo (old lady mini poodle) plays tug something fierce, it's kind of terrifying. She'll only get whipped up enough to play every month or so now, but when she does, it is a sight to behold.

Grab

I'm just curious because you might have more experience than me:

Writing this, I'm also realizing the majority of dogs I work with are pit bulls or other large bully breeds, so "wrestling" and "tug" might be a little more intense than other breed's owners have in mind.
I don't personally have a Mini, my Standard roughhouses though. And tugs. From what people on the Poodle forum have posted, the minis who are in houses with multiples seem to wrestle/rough house the same though.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
If Rat Terriers are an option but seem too small, maybe a Decker Rat terrier? I think they're a bit more intense than a "typical" rat terrier. Don't know much more about them than that, however.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
My rat terriers, both standard Deckers line, have been *amazing* dogs. It really doesn't get much better for a small, easy going, on/off switch yet tenacious and fun. They retain a guardy behavior but are not yippy. They are confident and primarily healthy. I always think of them as small pit bulls with a less gregarious attitude outside of their family.

I will positively own another some day but I won't likely ever own a "pet" line rat terrier, I have seen a lot of shyness, nervousness, low drive, and quirky touch issues.

My rats were both approx 25-28lb but they can be bigger in some hunting lines.

Hannah is 13 now and still a firecracker, she's the blur trying to get the mal to play. ;)

Members online