Another "Which Breed?" Thread

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
So like all crazy, masochistic dog people, now that my crazy-ass puppy has finally settled in and we've found our groove, it's time to start planning for ruining it with the next dog! LOL This will not happen for at least 1-2 years, but you know, it's never too early to start planning like a big weirdo. :D

So what am I looking for...

-Medium+ sized, 40-65lbs
-Social to neutral with strange dogs
-Social to neutral with strange people
-High food and toy drives
-High energy
-Barking is fine (what's one more?)
-Biddable
-Coat must be easy - no clipping/real grooming. Long coated is fine as long it's not burr and stick magnet. I don't mind brushing out or shedding, but no fine coats that mat or grow indefinitely, please.
-Deterrent appearance
-Territorial/protective is big bonus
-Physical health important, not just in terms of genetic conditions but also the ability to be fitted up and handle lots of physical work, so athletic as well
-AKC or at least UKC reg would be nice, as I really do enjoy my OB and there are no ASCA trials around here

Would be looking at OB, Agility, bitework if applicable and I have the time/money, herding if applicable, etc, and just about anything else I find interesting, so a versatile dog is a big plus.

Right now I have a few ideas floating... any flavor of Belgian from the right lines could work, maybe a Kelpie... I'm open to dogs outside of the herding group if they fit, as well.

Ready? GO!

FG167

Malinois

ETA: IF you can find a well-bred Dutchie they are a ton of fun. Huge, huge, big, IF though :( Unfortunately. I can give you my short list if I ever went back that route (doubtful).

Or a Kastle! He's only 62 lbs ;)

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
So like all crazy, masochistic dog people, any flavor of Belgian from the right lines could work
There...fixed it for ya.
:p

If you're up for the insanity, a Belgian could fit your list. Aussie and GSD also come to mind.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I must have some kind of crazy going on, because I've ruled out a couple of very applicable breeds for being, "Too nice" LMAO :rofl1:

Red.Apricot

Elsie's a Terv, and she sounds like she could fit what you want. She only weighs 38lbs, though. Her dam is 45lbs.

She likes new dogs once she meets them, but doesn't like, go BANANAS to get to them or anything. When we've been charged by off-leash dogs, she's responded to them as threats though.

She doesn't like strangers. She's 100% fine walking through crowds, next to people on the sidewalk, riding in elevators with them, being looked at--but she doesn't have any interest in being touched by them, and her inclination is to duck out of the way. She has a command 'go say hi' which means 'let them touch your head once,' and she doesn't seem to find that stressful or anything.

She doesn't have super high food drive; like she won't work for kibble unless she enjoys the game we're playing. She'd do almost anything for a green bean, go figure, and she would kill someone for a toy (any toy). Zoey, who is her cousin, thinks food is THE BEST, and would do anything for one piece of kibble, so there's some variation in Tervs.

She's high energy, for sure. Zoey's a little more mellow, but still absolutely willing to get up and go. Zoey's a barker, Elsie isn't (I grew up with a sheltie, so 'barker' is relative, lol). She's extremely biddable, and extremely very hugely handler-soft.

Since Elsie's adult fur has come in, she hasn't gotten a single mat. Burrs fall out of her fur with the comb, and I only have to brush her about once a week. I brush her more than that because she's a pill about it, and we're working on it.

People are scared of her when we're out and about. She looks bigger than she is, which is nice, and everyone thinks she's a GSD, and GSDs are mean, donchaknow.

I forgot my keys once when no one was home, and I hopped the fence. When I pulled open the back door, Elsie came charging into the bedroom from the living room, low, fast, teeth out, and silent. I said something like, "It's me, doofus," and she skidded to a halt and thought it was the greatest joke. I have no doubt she'd nail a stranger who came in uninvited. She watches the neighbors, and doesn't make noise at them, but when they have guests, she'll fuss at them until I tell her to knock it off. She barks at guests if I don't tell her to shut up.

I know of Tervs/Belgians that are still active in their early teens. Elsie's pretty well muscled for the amount of hard exercise we get, and she's fast and enjoys working.

Talking to people with Belgians, they can be quirky dogs. Elsie went through a phase from about 8 months to 12 where she was just... weird. Barked at random crap for no reason, didn't want to listen (but then melted if I snapped at her), wouldn't let strangers touch her, had meltdowns if stuff was happening outside the car--but we just kept doing what we were doing, and she seems to have smoothed out. Even at her worst she's a pretty cool dog. She overthinks stuff, too, which can be irritating/hilarious, depending on the situation. She spooks sometimes, which isn't a huge problem for me, but I know a lot of people don't tolerate that in their dogs. She's never refused to get over something that scared her, but sometimes it takes a couple moments.

I really like her, obviously, lol.

K

Kaydee

Border collie, herding, highly intelligent, crack-head energetic, beautiful, highly trainable...did I mention energy to spare??? AmStaff, supposed to be people and property protective but even if they're afraid of their own shadow they are imposing looking, real people pleasers so easy to train, strong with high endurance for exercise...

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Knox is around 60ish pounds. Most of that is muscle. He's tiny for a GSD, but his height is within standard. He's a pocket rocket though, lol

So like all crazy, masochistic dog people, now that my crazy-ass puppy has finally settled in and we've found our groove, it's time to start planning for ruining it with the next dog! LOL This will not happen for at least 1-2 years, but you know, it's never too early to start planning like a big weirdo. :D

So what am I looking for...

-Medium+ sized, 40-65lbs 60lbs
-Social to neutral with strange dogs Mostly neutral, sometimes social when intro properly
-Social to neutral with strange people Very people social, but will bark and is stand offish with some people, very small children and very large men mostly
-High food and toy drives Food not as much, but toy, YES
-High energy How high? We have very high
-Barking is fine (what's one more?) Alert mostly
-Biddable If you're fair
-Coat must be easy - no clipping/real grooming. Long coated is fine as long it's not burr and stick magnet. I don't mind brushing out or shedding, but no fine coats that mat or grow indefinitely, please. Swipe, Swipe, done. But watch for the mud...
-Deterrent appearance Oh yeah, sadly
-Territorial/protective is big bonus is at times
-Physical health important, not just in terms of genetic conditions but also the ability to be fitted up and handle lots of physical work, so athletic as well You want it, I got it!
-AKC or at least UKC reg would be nice, as I really do enjoy my OB and there are no ASCA trials around here Both

Would be looking at OB, Agility, bitework if applicable and I have the time/money, herding if applicable, etc, and just about anything else I find interesting, so a versatile dog is a big plus.

Right now I have a few ideas floating... any flavor of Belgian from the right lines could work, maybe a Kelpie... I'm open to dogs outside of the herding group if they fit, as well.

Ready? GO!
You described...ENDA A Beauceron might be worth looking into.

Cthulhu7

Mitch & Erin
Schnauzer all the way. They meet pretty much everything your looking for, except for maybe the coat. Idk how bad they are with burrs

Aleron

Well you already know what I think :)

Belgians should be ideally neutral towards strangers. But like any breed who should be "reserved " or "aloof", you can get dogs who are a bit more extreme and who don't want to be touched or even more extreme, won't tolerate it. You can also get overly friendly dogs. I have had and known Belgians in the whole range but careful selection and proper socialization and training can go a long way in getting the sort of dog you want.

I don't think I have ever had a Belgian get tired and quit on me while doing something active. They have energy to spare and are pretty much always up for doing stuff but they should be able to chill in the house too, especially adults who are getting enough interaction and exercise. They are definitely biddable but they aren't Goldens. They have a sense of what is or isn't fair and they are clever about recognizing patterns. Some can be handler soft, some aren't as much but most are more sensitive than the average GSD. They should have more than enough toy and food drive, although like Elsie some aren't as big on food.

Barkyness - some are and some aren't. I think they almost all are big alert barkers and will definitely let you know what is going on around your house. Whim spends a lot of her inside time laying over the back of the couch watching out the window for something to happen.

Deterrent? Well the Black ones look like the G'Mork from Neverending Story...

They are easily able to get fit, they are pretty athletic and should never be big or cumbersome. They tend to stay very physically sound into old age. My 13 year old just was BOS three days in a row at the show a couple weeks ago against much younger bitches and her mother is 17 1/2 and still able to get around without being on drugs. They aren't prone to crippling arthritis or CCL injuries and even the ones I have known with HD have been asymptomatic into old age. Correct coat on the hairy Belgians is about as wash and wear as you can get with a hairy dog.

I thought GSD though could be pushing the size thing.
Yeah, most male GSDs are going to be in the 60+ lb range for sure. A nice working line GSD does seem to fit most of the criteria but I consider the breed pretty iffy with other dogs. While some get along fine, serious dog aggression especially household SSA isn't at all uncommon in the breed and can be found in all lines. It is the reason I no longer have GSDs even though they had been my lifelong favorite breed and I think it would be an issue for Emily too. There can be SSA issues in all breeds but IME Belgians are much less likely to be as dead serious about fighting as a GSD. I had three GSDs and all were dog aggressive to some degree, the male was SSA and one of the girls was too. When those dogs would fight, they would grab for the face/neck of the other dog, get good grip and not let go. They are scary serious in a fight. My other girl was dog reactive to strange dogs. She and the male were half siblings and the other girl was totally unrelated.

While I have heard of occasional Belgians who are SSA, it isn't nearly as widespread IME. And with the exception of a couple, talking to people who've had them they are not near as serious about eliminating the competition as a GSD. Even the boys who are rivals don't tend to go at each other with the sort of force I have seen from GSDs, they more talk about it and try to out macho each other. I know quite a lot of Belgian people who have multiple girls or boys and the dogs can all be out together. Just about GSD person I knew thought I was crazy for thinking I could have all my dogs loose together in the house (it worked for a little while...).

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I forgot to say initially... it's going to be a boy boy boy. No more bitches for a while here. *looks at Keeva* LOL She's not SSA but I imagine that I would just be asking for problems if I got another bitchy bitch. So that kind of rules of breeds in which the females just make the size cut off.

Plus I want a big goopy boy that wants to live in my pocket and constantly molests me. LOL

Members online

No members online now.