Is this a good breeder?

Amber

If I were going to buy a dog, it would be to show, and it would be a chihuahua, APBT, or GSD. I found this breeder, and I like the look of her dogs. I am not buying a dog anytime soon, I'm just wondering if you think this is a good place? Thanks.

HappiDaze Chihuahua and Chinese Crested

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
I cant find anything about health testing on the site... I could be missing it... or she may just not post it.

Criosphynx

three different breeds at once if generally a red flag...tho less of one with small breeds.

not enough info on that site to say either way.

xpaeanx

I don't know much about her breeds... but it appears she had chis at westminster in 2005 & 2009... no idea how they placed, but that's an invitational event so they had to be pretty good to begin with. (just google the kennel name).

You would have to actually talk to her and ask her questions because there's not much on the site to go one way or another. There may be some people in the breed that would be able to give you more of a review...

But, if you're looking for a show dog... having 2 at westminster is a good sign. It lets you know that her dogs are out there in the ring and doing well.

mom2dogs

I won't comment on the breeder but. . .

I don't know much about her breeds... but it appears she had chis at westminster in 2005 & 2009... no idea how they placed, but that's an invitational event so they had to be pretty good to begin with. (just google the kennel name)
Dogs that are not invited are still able to compete, if space allows.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
A lot of breeders don't list their health testing, but still do it. I would contact and ask about testing for the most common disorders in the breed:

Patellas
Eyes
Hearing (probably color related?)
Cardiac

(From the Chihuahua Club of America website)
CCA-Health Testing

I wouldn't be concerned about someone with multiple breeds - some people like diversity! ;)

Artfish

Drivey and Intense
As someone who has seen so many toys of questionable temperament (yes EVEN after winning their breed in all-breed shows), PLEASE grill the breeder on how s/he evaluates temperament and how she emphasizes temperament in her breeding program.

Regarding GSDs for show, there are two main line splits: German showline and American showline. German showlines would get laughed out of most AKC rings and American showlines would get laughed out of most SV rings. There is a ginormous debate on whether either line is good for the overall GSD breed. It's also an extremely political breed to show and unless you have a pro handler, you would be better off in UKC shows. In fact, many people will agree that it doesn't matter what kind of German shepherd you get for the AKC ring, so long as Jimmy Moses is on the other end of its lead you'll win them all. :rolleyes:

If you are interested in American lines, I would contact Daphne of Andaka-Zederland Kennels. I don't have her current contact info but she is over on the germanshepherds.com forum as username "Andaka." Her dogs are titled on both ends and she always has good recommendations for other kennels who value temperament as much as conformation, if not more.

I know this breeder personally....she is very friendly and accessable (although probably not right now as she is at Westminster!)...

Members online

No members online now.