Listen to your dog

SpringerLover

A while back Buzz seemed to be getting very old, very fast. He was reluctant to get in the car, couldn't get up on my bed, and overall just seemed disinterested in going for walks. "People" told me he was acting old because he is old (11 is not THAT old). He'd never been xrayed because something else always seemed to come up that required my money.

I scheduled hip and elbow xrays for the 11 year old "in hopes" of finding some arthritis in his hips or elbows. I didn't want to sedate him as he's so good and sedation scares me. My always good dog screamed bloody murder when the vet tried to stretch him out for the hip xray and he mouthed the tech pretty hard. THAT scared me. THAT was not my dog. I said "we need to see what's causing that" and so we did, with sedation! As the vet was reading his hip xrays he suddenly said "what the heck is that?!?" and points out two fractures in Buzz's pelvis! WHAT?! Somehow my dog fractured his pelvis in two places, MONTHS ago as it was already healing!

So, listen to your dog. Buzz told me he wasn't feeling well and when chiropractic work didn't fix him, we delved deeper. Not what I was hoping to find, but the good news is that his xrays looked really good. We sent them in to OFA because my vet is not a professional xray reader, but he said he'd be happy to see those on a young dog. Buzz's joints shouldn't be causing him any problems after his pelvis heals.

Thankfully it was set up really well and healing in line on it's own. We'll re-xray in a month and go from there. Right now he's on a lot of crate rest with limited activity. He was on complete crate rest but it drove us both bonkers. Tonight he got to work on tracking article indication (pick up and sit) and is now contentedly relaxing instead of attempting to pace.

And here is a (bad) photo of him playing with his Tug A Jug he got because he's on the injured list.

Last edited:

SpringerLover

I've been wracking my brain trying to think of what could have caused it. The Tech said he could have slipped on the ice this winter (he did a couple of times), he could have fallen out of bed (he has a couple of times, and no longer gets to sleep with me :( ), landed wrong, we really have no idea! I wish I did. Our only "time frame" is at least a month ago and less than four months ago or so.

bubbatd

Are you sure that he wasn't hit by a car ??? That would have been quite a blow .

SpringerLover

That they do! It did cross my mind but I can't think of a single time he's escaped and been out of my sight.

Thanks for the well wishes. Makes me sad he was hurt somehow and I didn't know!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My son fell off a two story balcony and fractured his. He walked like Lurch for a long time. IT is an incredibly painful injury. I hope your dog heals quickly and does not have any brittle bone issues.

Molly went a scratched and shook her ear to the point she developed a hematoma in the left ear, and when I took her to the vet, we could feel her creaky hips, and the vet asked, "Is she getting around ok?" She was, but she does sit a lot. Since King insised on coming too, the vet said, "How is he doing?" I told him he still spends a lot of his time on his back legs, and hasn't developed any creaking yet. The vet felt around on his back end and said everything seems ok with him. Poor Molly, skin issues, hip issues, and scared of almost everything. She really struck out in the genetics lottery. King seems to have hit the jackpot. He's very white in the face now, but other than that, still acts like a much younger dog. He still moves very nicely when walking and running. Molly bunny hops most of the time now. They'll be 11 in 6 months, and time is flying by. I don't know what the other one will do when one of them goes. I get bummed just thinking about it.

Members online

No members online now.