New Rescued dog coming home in 2 weeks

Y

yuckaduck

We are so excited about this new doggy coming home in about two weeks. She is suppose to be very good with kids and other dogs but just out of curiosity...what ideas does everyone have for introducing her to our family and our home. She was due to be gased today and until transport is finalized she will be living in a kennel, has lived in the shelter for about 3 weeks. So she may have issues over that but I can handle that. I am told she barks at first and then goes very submissive with other dogs. She did live with a golden retriever for 2 years, so she knows what it is all about. I cannot wait to take pictures when she gets here and post them for everyone to see.

dani12

Congratulations! Can you get a blanket to your new dog that smells like you so she will at least have a familiar smell when she gets there?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Is this that white shepherd we were working on before my car went kaput? Or a different one?

Anyway, tons of luck!

yuckaduck said:
what ideas does everyone have for introducing her to our family and our home.
Just let everyone get all their smelling and establishment of dominance done and over with, I don't know how long it will take though. Play games with new dog and include your dogs and children to help set up boundaries and have fun!

taratippy

Agree with Renee meet up on neutral territory to start and I find when we introduce any new fosters that taking them on a fairly long walk helps they seem to get used to have a new dog by them quicker. Also dont go mad with the fuss and treats (yes I know thats all you'll want to do) but just let her settle for a few days with as little stress as possible. Each dog varies of course so see how she copes and change things accordingly.

Good luck and well done for rescueing her.

Y

yuckaduck

dani12 said:
Congratulations! Can you get a blanket to your new dog that smells like you so she will at least have a familiar smell when she gets there?
She is in North Carolina and in a kennel which does not allow outside things, they do not even allow you to take a toy or even her own food. Maybe the food is not so bad though she has been on Alpho and/or Science Diet her whole life.

Y

yuckaduck

Zoom said:
Is this that white shepherd we were working on before my car went kaput? Or a different one?

Anyway, tons of luck!

No completely different, I do not even know what colour she is. Does not matter as long as she is a good with Yuck and good with the kids. That is the only real concern

Y

yuckaduck

Renee750il said:
See if you can set up the initial meeting on neutral territory. That takes some of the issues off of the table.

You know we WILL require photos ASAP :D

I wish she was here right now so I could take pictures of her. I have not slept in two nights since I was finally approved for her. I think my biggest concern is that the kennel will do something to her within these two weeks. I hope she is able to adjust and does not get to overly stressed out. It will be hard I bet for her and for Yuck at least for a few days. Yuck has rather gotten accustomed to be the only dog around, I see jealousy being his issue. He is already showing signs of jealousy with the kids and me and he gets very snarly when my husband comes near me.

Fran27

Is it a shepherd too?

I think it's great, but at the same time I'm sure there are dogs that are scheduled to be killed soon closer to you too. But as long as it works out, it's great. I know I wouldn't do it personally, I much rather handle things myself than trusting people I don't know, unless it's the rescue that brings up the dog. And it's important to me that the dogs meet first, too.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I would reassure Yucka that he is still your #1 boy and you haven't replaced him, just added a friend. Sawyer and Guinness(we renamed her Aubry) get along great, but there's still some jealousy issues when it comes to me. Make sure Yucka gets praise, treats, pats and food first and keep his toys separate from the new ones.

Y

yuckaduck

Fran27 said:
Is it a shepherd too?

I think it's great, but at the same time I'm sure there are dogs that are scheduled to be killed soon closer to you too. But as long as it works out, it's great. I know I wouldn't do it personally, I much rather handle things myself than trusting people I don't know, unless it's the rescue that brings up the dog. And it's important to me that the dogs meet first, too.
Well I can adopt her and trust in the rescue group or she can be gased. I cannot get approved for a rescue closer to me because the age of my kids makes everyone say no right away. I am very happy to have the opportunity to rescue this girl. She is a registered german shepherd spayed female.

Y

yuckaduck

Zoom said:
I would reassure Yucka that he is still your #1 boy and you haven't replaced him, just added a friend. Sawyer and Guinness(we renamed her Aubry) get along great, but there's still some jealousy issues when it comes to me. Make sure Yucka gets praise, treats, pats and food first and keep his toys separate from the new ones.

We are hoping that since it is a male and a female, both fixed that they will get along and of course there are always little squabbles same as with people, but I hope they can over time become buddies and be great with our families. Of course Yuck is number 1 he holds a very special place in my heart. He is my baby boy after all, I have bought lots of toys two of everything so that way they all have the same. Same as with the human babies what one gets the other gets.

Y

yuckaduck

Melissa_W said:
That sounds great! I hope everything works out. :)

It will and if not we will be stuck with it anyway. That is one thing about me, I just cannot give away or rehome an animal. So if all heck breaks loose it will be a long time before peace is established because she will join our family and all issues will be worked out. My husband and I have signed both dogs up for obedience classes starting Oct 2, so we can bond together and just help re socialize her since she has been living in a kennel for a while. We want to make her transition as easy as possible, but it will be very hard on her I am sure. Big differences in her life and big changes. I am sure she will be very confused and need lots of reassuring that this is her forever home.

Melissa_W

With that attitude, I'm sure you'll be able to do it no matter what. :) I just hope it goes smoothly for you. ;)

Fran27

Sounds fun!

I got to say though, when so many dogs need homes I'll never understand why rescues are so picky.

Melissa_W

I agree, Fran. We can't adopt because we don't have a fenced in backyard. But Skye gets tons of exercise. He goes on walks, runs, gets taken to the park all the time. Some people just dump their dogs into their fenced in backyard, Skye gets a lot more attention than people who do that. But we can't adopt anyway, because of the "rules".

Y

yuckaduck

Melissa_W said:
I agree, Fran. We can't adopt because we don't have a fenced in backyard. But Skye gets tons of exercise. He goes on walks, runs, gets taken to the park all the time. Some people just dump their dogs into their fenced in backyard, Skye gets a lot more attention than people who do that. But we can't adopt anyway, because of the "rules".

My kids are too young and [3 & 4 years old almost] and my husband and I have not been together long enough [4 years this sept 28 we will be married]
and our fence is not high enough at 5 feet. We do not have enough shade in the fenced in area, there are 3 big trees and we have several little ones planted growing up to provide shade. We never use that area for the dogs anyways, it is where the kids toys are. We have another dog which is a 5 month old so he is a lot of work and we could never handle another dog???HUH?? Yukon is housetrained and is a great doggy and having another one does not make it harder or easier, they require the same things. Love, caring, training, food, water, shelter, love, love , love, love, love, exercise

Fran27

I guess it really depends on the rescues/shelters... The ASPCA 5 minutes away doesn't ask any question, which is probably why they got 140 pets returned last year... The rescue I got Tips from didn't really care that we had another puppy, but they asked questions, just never made sure we were not lying.

Members online

No members online now.