New Puppy 2 crates??

GSPVT

Quick Question, just wanted to throw this out and see if anyone has heard of it or done it. We live in a 2 level townhouse, sleep upstairs and living room downstairs. Wondering if 2 crates would be a waste of time. We have one in the living room and were thinking of putting one in the bedroom until he can really sleep through the night, or until he has to pee. We want to crate train him but we know is a learning process. We have a 9 week old German Shorthaired pointer. doing quite well but wanted to see if anyone has done this. We want him to feel comfortable in the crate ASAP.

Thanks!!

bubbatd

I've never crate trained ,, but I'd say it would depend on how much you need crating . In the long run will your bedroom be the area used a night ?? Where do you spend the most time ?? Each family is different .

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
If I had a 2 story home and was going to crate at night, I'd have 2 crates.
I did the leash/tether thing with Dante so I would know when he moved around.

GSPVT

The main reason I am thinking about it is that the crate that we are using will eventually be large enough for him when he is full grown, a real pain to go up and down the stairs. We spend most of our time in the living room, and I guess after the first few weeks he will learn to be ok at night downstairs in his crate, while we're upstairs. We'll just see how it goes.

Thanks.

Hillside

Original Twin
My dog has three crates, a wire one in the bedroom and two downstairs, a wire and a plastic. The plastic is more of a rec room with all the "creature" comforts (bed, blankets, toys) and the wire is the more utilitarian. ( He still destroys bedding). He has not had any issues with having multiple crates. He has had his multiple crates since we got him at 5 months of age and he is just under a year now.

lizzybeth727

I don't think there's any problem in having more than one crate, but I don't understand why you'd really need one. My dog has one crate in the bedroom where she sleeps, and if she's not in that crate she's in the room with me. If she wants to take a nap, she has a bed in the living room where I can keep an eye on her.

I think if you only have one crate, it should be in your bedroom. Dogs are very social, and are more comfortable sleeping with their family than isolated a whole house away.

GSPVT

The crate in the bedroom your correct is for sleeping at night, but the crate in the living room is more for is naps during the day, if I need to do something where I can't be watching him 100%, he's only 8.5 weeks old, I need to control where he is. There's no telling what he could get into in the split second I'm away. This will obviously be less and less of an issue as he gets older. Thanks for all the advise, its been a tough process but he;s getting there. My biggest hurdle now after the holidays is to get him used to being alone, with the time off we have had he hasn't had to spend much time by himself.

Jeff

Crates

I have crates for mine My Female Standard Dachshund has two one downstairs and one up They are all crated when Im not home and she sleeps in the one up stairs at night because shes on the bed and then off when she gets down she can't get back on And she also has seizures so I want to know where she is at night

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.