Have a problem. My dogs are too good.

Doberluv

I got up at 5:30 this morning and started the sprinklers and did a few things outside. Then went to the grocery store and to do a couple of other errands. Those places are about a 40 minute drive so it takes a long time. My dogs don't have separation anxiety in the least. They're just glad when I come home. I got a lot of stuff and put it all away, which took a long time, made some lunch and came on Chaz. I need to go pick raspberries and sweep my garage. In other words, lots of things that the dogs are left out of. Who doesn't though?

But I feel really guilty not doing much with the dogs. I did toss them some raspberries a while ago. They love them and Chulita will play with hers...toss it up, spin around, toss it again etc. But I have no mind to take a walk or do much of anything. It's pretty hot out and I'm just feeling so lazy. In the evening often, they'll play in the house when I throw a ball or toy. Jose` is a good retriever. Sometimes they'll even play tag with each other, if I can manage to get them riled up enough.

The problem is, my poor dogs are probably bored a lot of the time, but all they do is lie down and sleep next to me in the den if I don't do something with them. Or they might chew on their Nyla bone. They don't get into anything they shouldn't, don't whine, don't bug me for anything, are undemanding, don't fight...they just chill and curl up next to each other. They're lying parallel right next to each other right now. If I get up and act playful or try some tricks or something, they're all about it. But if I don't, that seems okay too....except I feel like such a bad dog mom.

Now, with a higher energy dog, like Lyric, I had no choice. He needed a walk badly and it forced me to make sure he got one every day almost. We'd choose a cooler time of the day and it was just part of the regime. The thing is...Chihuahuas need some exercise, of course. But they don't need a huge amount at all. Ten minutes is something I read once as far as a good, brisk walk. Of course, our walks are much longer when we do walk.

Maybe we'll do a walk in the evening when it is cooler. We just don't do walks every day anymore. Of course, I have lots of land that we wander around on, so I guess that's a walk. But they love to go down to the little store that's 1/2 mile away and see who they can visit with. Or better yet, a hike. We haven't done that in quite a while. I need to get motivated and these two Chi's....aren't helping. They're just too easy and too well behaved.

Paige

Let it be
Sounds like we have the same dogs. Bandit has zero SA. If I live something accidently in the garbage that smells beautiful he'll help himself to the leftovers (and I blame myself for not putting the trash away, not him) but other than that he doesn't get into a thing. He will happily sleep by my side for days if I am not feeling up to walking him. He's a pretty lucky boy though. The average day for him the last month has been getting out for at least two hours every day of off leash fun. I forget he even gets walked out because he is a zero effort kind of dog.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I cannot imagine not walking my dogs. They get the mental stimulation, the exercise, and the training practice that keeps them in good shape. I worry if they lay around too much. A couple days in a row, ok, but don't like it if it is more than that. I remember thinking "we are like people in a nursing home" when i had Bronki and Mary and was so terribly ill without the antibiotics. I didn't notice that Bronki's laying around wasn't just laziness but the beginnings of his cancer. I always wondered if we had had the routine back then that I have now with my dogs if I might have seen it sooner. Maybe not, who knows, but ever since then I don't like to see them too lazy.

Getting Mary out and about daily for a good exercise workout I believe helped her pain, kept her weight down, and improved her bowel function in her old age. Besides it made her gloriously happy.

IT is hot, that is why we are walking at 6 am. Not my favorite time to do this, but if I even wait until 7 it is uncomfortable. I can't wait for fall.

JacksonsMom

I dogsit for two Boxers like that. One is a 9 year old Boxer mix, so understandable. But the other is about 3yrs old. They are SO easy, lol. I feel bad because they have this HUGE fenced in back yard to play in but they won't play unless I stand out there WITH them, and I'll throw a few toys for the youngest to fetch, etc. Like literally, even if they've been inside ALL day, and I leave the door wide open for them to go in/out as they please, they just lay inside right next to wherever I am. I'm like GUYS go outside!! LOL. They are really easy dogs.

Jackson is pretty high maintenance. He's like medium energy tho. Like one 30 minute walk a day will keep him chill or leaving me alone for a few hours so that's a good thing. But he definitely needs a lot of attention. When we go to my dads house it's GREAT though because there's 2 other dogs for him to play with, a fenced backyard, a pool, etc, he's always occupied pretty much so he doesn't need me as much over there. But when it's just us two back at home, he will often come and whine when I'm on the computer, or bring me a toy, lol. But if I ignore him long enough, he will just go lay down and chew on a bully stick. But he needs more mental stimulation than physical.

Saeleofu

Gavroche is just like that. He's happy to sleep all day, it seems. Never whines, never even asks to go out.

Logan is different. I HAVE to work him every day. If I miss a day I can definitely tell he's bored. So long as we work every day, he's an awesome dog. If I miss a day, he lets me know he's still a pup ;)

Doberluv

Oh, my dogs get out for physical & mental stimulation enough for their health. It's just that I don't do leash walks that often. We walk around on my 5 acres, along side the creek, through the woods, chasing squirrels, barking at things in the woods, zipping around the yard. I'm pretty sure that is enough exercise. In fact, just now, they both got baths and got the zoomies afterward all over my big yard. Then Chuli got one of her breathing attacks that was long lasting. That happens sometimes when she gets too excited. We played fetch for a few minutes and Chuli went through her tricks for me. Jose` can retrieve a ball better than my Lab did.

So, it's not that they lie around 24/7. It's just that there are those days when I don't have much time to take a walk somewhere else and some days, like today, I'm just kind of worn out to go far. They are Chihuahuas though, and don't require 2 hours of exercise every day like my larger dogs did or some of the smaller, high energy dogs. They are trained to my satisfaction, being 8 and 10 yrs old, and do a lot of things by default, so don't have to be given a lot of commands.... and we don't do big seagments of time training anymore. But we do brush up on a few things here and there and incorporate some tricks and such into their play or walks. They are physically fit. That's why they can jump off high furniture and leap over logs without hurting themselves....even Jose` with his patella luxation....most of the time, unless he has a flare up. I'm home most of the time too so they get little bits and pieces through-out the day.

Being Chihuahuas, they love nothing more than being on laps or snuggling with their person and aren't as desperate for outside stimulation as some other breeds. They aren't hunting dogs or hounds, vermin snatching dogs or guard dogs. They're a companion breed. So, it's a little different Smkie.

I guess my point was that I was just feeling a little neglectful these past few days since I've come home from out of state, and I thought that they must be bored, but still so agreeable and cheerful.

And the hikes: I've been a little chicken to go into those deep woods just lately because I've heard about some grizzly bear sitings.:eek: I'm okay with black bears. LOL. So, I need to buy a new pepper spray or just stick around here. (not that that is so much safer necessarily)

But the baths did wonders and I think tonight when it cools off, we'll walk down to the little store and back and do some visiting. They enjoy that.

Last edited:

Doberluv

I dogsit for two Boxers like that. One is a 9 year old Boxer mix, so understandable. But the other is about 3yrs old. They are SO easy, lol. I feel bad because they have this HUGE fenced in back yard to play in but they won't play unless I stand out there WITH them, and I'll throw a few toys for the youngest to fetch, etc. Like literally, even if they've been inside ALL day, and I leave the door wide open for them to go in/out as they please, they just lay inside right next to wherever I am. I'm like GUYS go outside!! LOL. They are really easy dogs.

Jackson is pretty high maintenance. He's like medium energy tho. Like one 30 minute walk a day will keep him chill or leaving me alone for a few hours so that's a good thing. But he definitely needs a lot of attention. When we go to my dads house it's GREAT though because there's 2 other dogs for him to play with, a fenced backyard, a pool, etc, he's always occupied pretty much so he doesn't need me as much over there. But when it's just us two back at home, he will often come and whine when I'm on the computer, or bring me a toy, lol. But if I ignore him long enough, he will just go lay down and chew on a bully stick. But he needs more mental stimulation than physical.
Jackson sounds like my Lab, Bonnie. She needed some exercise all right and something to work her brain. But it wasn't excessive. My Dobe was more needy when he was young anyhow. As he got nearer to 4 yrs. old, when he died, he had some health issues that put a damper on that.

I would have thought boxers were a little more energetic than that. LOL. I guess they're all individuals too, besides the breed. But I have heard they make lovely house dogs and once they're a little older, are quite calm and relaxed.

Doberluv

Gavroche is just like that. He's happy to sleep all day, it seems. Never whines, never even asks to go out.

Logan is different. I HAVE to work him every day. If I miss a day I can definitely tell he's bored. So long as we work every day, he's an awesome dog. If I miss a day, he lets me know he's still a pup ;)
It's so true. They will tell you when they are unhappy. I remember the look on Toker's face or Lyric's when I told them it was thundering and lightening outside and we're not going for a walk. They just sobbed. And yes, puppies are really a different story.:eek: :D

Doberluv

I think you need a puppy then . ~pushes you to a puppy aquring place~

~RUNS~
You better run! :fighting0040: No puppies. No puppies. No puppies. Puppies are a p.i.t.a. Nevermind the cuteness factor. I don't want to hear about it. And I hope I don't see any puppy pictures anytime soon. They just about ruin me every time. :p

Members online

No members online now.