bulldog bloating

rousseau661

nook the crook
hey guys. ust wondering why sometimes if my english bull eats a big meal his stomach gets bloated, he acts fine and is normal but his stomach is bloated usually until the next day or so, he is 3 months and is eating hills scince diet, lamb and rice formula kibble, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt get bloated but when it does get bloated it is seriously bloated, like pokig out past his shoulders and one side is soft and one side is hard./ it is only when he eats a lot of food and rescently because i have been training him onto the food available all the time program, so anyway any input or suggeestion is greatly appreciated.

Sounds as though your pup definitely needs to be on a regimented feeding schedule. I would take his recommended daily amount of kibble and split it up into 3 smaller meals. Some pups will eat and eat and eat and not know enough to stop. It can be very dangerous for them and if he were to get an actual case of bloat it can be fatal. The 2 dogs I have now are able to be free fed as they are nibblers and it takes them all day to eat the bowlful but all of the dogs I have had in the past would not have been able to handle it safely.

Herschel

First of all: Definitely set feeding times and control the amount fed.

Second, I'm not criticizing, just suggesting:

Since you posted here I think I'm obligated to ask if you've thought about feeding a higher quality food. Have you? It will be cheaper for you and your dog will definitely be happier! Science Diet is mostly grain.

Science Diet:

Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Food Fragments: Lower cost by-products of another food manufacturing process. Examples include wheat bran and brewer's rice (a waste product of the alcohol industry).

Corn: Corn products are difficult for dogs to digest.

Rice Flour: All of the naturally occurring vitamins have been leeched out by the processing.

Animal Fat: Animal fat is a "generic" fat source that is most often made up of rendered animal fat, restaurant grease, or other oils too rancid or deemed inedible for humans. Look for a named fat source, such as poultry or chicken fat, that is naturally preserved.

Salt: While salt is a necessary mineral, it is also generally present in sufficient quantities in the ingredients pet foods include. Just like for humans, too much sodium intake is unhealthy for animals. In poor quality foods it is often used in large amounts to add flavor and make the food more interesting.

Canidae:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Pet Food Direct prices:

20lb bag of Science Diet: $23

20lb bag of Canidae: $21

rousseau661

nook the crook
herschel, you are right on bro, when nook was 8 weeks and the night before i got him he was stung by a hornet, which created a hot spot and somehow he contracted a mite which caise him itching everywhere, thus his body had a hard tme with scabing and dry skin and oily fur, so he was on 6 weeks of ivromectin shots and now is perfectly back to normal with 0.0 scarring, as well as the low immune system that this created, he had bad diarhea(sp) so the vet put him on to hills prescription ID canned food which was very bland, he then said to half way through start mixing in small amounts and increase the ratio each time with the sceince diet kibble, the after weening him on to the kibble start gradually shifting him to a higher quality food, but the reason he is on sceince diet is because it is easier on his digestive, s yes i am switching to a higher grade food after he goes through the change to the scince diet, so you are right on, thanks for your input. and im always looking for constructive critisism, thank you.

When Nook is old enough, check out the Innova EVO formula. No grains, low, low carbohydrates - just what you want to see in a food for a dog prone to bloat.

Oh, and keep some Phazyme gel caps handy. They are simethicone and can be given to a gassy dog. Shiva took a spell where she was getting gassy (she was stealing some dog food from a neighbor :rolleyes: ) and the Phazyme was - probably literally - a lifesaver.

I'd give it to her, then sit there facing her, patting her sides until she burped. I'd praise her to the stars when she'd burp. What I didn't count on was Shiva deciding that burping in my face must be a good thing. Now, if she feels a burp coming on, she rushes over to me, looks earnestly into my eyes, gets REAL close to my face, and belches. Then she looks inordinately pleased with herself and expects to be petted . . . So, learn from my mistake, lol!

Members online