Huskies? need help for a newspaper article

Hi to all!

In a newspaper from here they have a pet section on sundays, and sometimes I send articles to inform people on pet owning.

Now I want to write an article about the pros and negs of the Husky breed.

I'm willing to do this to help owners and people who want to get a husky because is an extremely popular breed were I live, wish is ironical because the climate is average 25c to 40c or more.

I'm noticing that in newspaper adds is the most common breed who people report missing adds.

And what is more painful, is what a pet store employee told me, you see...

I was in the store and there was a family who had two small kids and a girl was holding a one month female husky puppy who they recently got, they were shopping for many things for her like kibble, bowl, collar, leashes, etc.. they paid and the family left, after that the employee (who knows me) looked upset and told me:

"Jeez.. those huskies.. sure they are way too energic and mischievous, you would be surprised to see how many people come here carrying a husky puppy on their arms, so happy and proud wit the cute new pup and they purchase many things for him/her, .....but after 5-6 months when the puppy grows big they become troublemakers, almost all the husky owners tell me that they destroy many things in their house, furnature, plants, jump to catch clothes who are left to dry in the yard!!!... and they tell me they are dessesperated to get rid of the dog, that they don't know what to do, they ask me if I know of a person who wants one"

I repplied to her "Yeah, that is because they are sled dogs, they aren't the average mellow pet for a home, they need a lot of exercise daily, they can't stand being locked in a yard...etc"

The information she gave me, make me feel extremely sad, people buy husky puppies because they look like living toys and along they have those icy blue eyes, then when they grow up they get rid of them or the dog escapes :( so I want to write an article about them and send it to the newspaper.

Take into account that I live in central america and many people don't have an education on pets, so wit medium and big dogs is very rare that owners take them to walks, also they are many feral dogs so there's a big chance that a male huskie will escape if he smells a feral bitch in heat, also nearly all the puppies are from BYB or millers.

RBark

Got Floof?
My advice for keeping huskies is to keep them in a straitjacket and one of those hannibal lecter type muzzles, tied up on a pole while locked in a complicated safe.

You may or may not still have him escape, but the odds will be in your favor.

My advice for keeping huskies is to keep them in a straitjacket and one of those hannibal lecter type muzzles, tied up on a pole while locked in a complicated safe.

You may or may not still have him escape, but the odds will be in your favor.
Lol, the ones who need the shirts are the impulsive owners who think a dog is a "walking plush" :(

The poor dogs, it must be a hell for them to live in a yard all 24/7 at plus 35c wit harsh sun and nothing to do :( no wonder why the become crazy.

Last edited:
Hi, so any suggestion? something of advise that can make people think twice before buying a husky pup on impulse?

I want to hear the cons, pros and the big "don't do it" of the breed, since I'm pretty sure is not an ideal breed for people without at least some experience in dogs.

Romy

Taxiderpy
The Siberian Husky Club of America has little list you could maybe draw from. It's highlights their plus points vs. the bad points. Like that they love every person, so they make terrible guard dogs. And that they love digging dens all over your yard. Things like that.

http://www.shca.org/shcahp2b.htm

The Siberian Husky Club of America has little list you could maybe draw from. It's highlights their plus points vs. the bad points. Like that they love every person, so they make terrible guard dogs. And that they love digging dens all over your yard. Things like that.

http://www.shca.org/shcahp2b.htm
Thank you for the link :)

Wow it has useful information, it will surely going to help for the article.

I think I'm only going to need an average time of exercise they need in a week to prevent them getting bored and behave naughty.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I would just stress the necessity of exercise and mental stimulation. Violet was a bit of a terror as a puppy. She chewed up a lot of things, even swallowed a huge gym sock and scared us to death. She broke a lot of things, jumped up on a lot of visitors, screamed in her crate, played in her water bowl and got the house soaking wet, and caused a lot of chaos. But as a 2 1/2 year old dog, she is calming down some, and is a good dog. She is smart as a whip and has been since she was a puppy. She was completely housebroken after a week to 10 days. Being smart can get them into trouble though. They are mischievous, but giving them enough stimulation REALLY helps with that. And being on top of training (leash training, manners, etc) from the VERY beginning is vital. Violet has known since day one that she can't jump on visitors but she still does it. She just gets so excited. She's definitely much better about it now though. And she is not leash trained which is a nightmare to take her anywhere and it's a shame because she loves going places. She is working in walking nicely on the leash but it will take a while. I should have made it a priority a long time ago and I just didn't.

But basically huskies can be WONDERFUL pets if they are exercised and provided mental stimulation along with being taught the fundamental training and manners from the beginning.

RBark

Got Floof?
Thank you for the link :)

Wow it has useful information, it will surely going to help for the article.

I think I'm only going to need an average time of exercise they need in a week to prevent them getting bored and behave naughty.
Exercise requirements depend on the dog. I've worked in a husky rescue for a couple years, and some dogs are just extremely chill, others need hours and hours a day.

Members online

No members online now.