Breeder Agreement

Theof

I'm considering buying a puppy from a breeder from whom I've bought from before. She is a woman who I've had a good realtionship with and with whom I trust.

However, (and there is always a however) My last pup from her was a pet quality dog and we were fine with that. At this point she is suggesting that we buy a show quality dog because she thinks that the temperment of this dog would be great for my family. I really respect her knowledge and her opinions as that she was right on the money about our present dog.

Here is the rub. She thinks that this new pup is a potential "champion" quality and is offering to sell us the dog (we would own him) but that she could show the dog and stud him for her own kennel.

From how she described it the worst of it would be that when the dog is about two he would go on the circut with a handler for about 3 months (maybe less). Then when the pup got enough points for a championship it would be over.

Is this normal? Is there something else I should be asking the breeder or asking for? What does everyone think?

Thanks for your advice!

skyhigh

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Get a pet pup.

You buy the pup-say $500 (random example price)
you pay for food and accesories while pup is young and up to 2yrs
at two years breeder takes dog and breeds and shows-making $1000 from stud (random price i chose)

...So, you pay lots for this great show dog, they show and breed, but you pay for it. Anyway, in my opinon I'd only buy a dog if it was in complete ownership for me.
See what others say. They might have other suggestions
Hope it made sense

Athe

What happened with all of my Newf's and all purebred dogs I have gotten in the past (a pyr, Dalmatian, Dobe, Standard Poodle and many Newf's). The breeder "placed" these dogs in my home. The breeders showed the dogs, paid for their food, paid for vet bills, used the dogs at stud or whelped a litter from the girls...etc. The aggreement was, she gave the dogs to me. Yes, it was a pain when they left for the States, Bermuda etc. For breeding, that was no problem with the male..I just took him down every morning and every evening for a breeding session. My female, that was a pain when she was bred and I had to stay at the breeders home to be with her. There were many advantages though, I got all my dogs for free with no Vet bills or food bills for the first 5 years of their life, then the dogs were signed over to me at no charge.
I would not pay for a show quality dog unless I myself planned on showing the dog....but, it is expensive to campain a dog. If you are interested in showing and the breeder pays all entry fees etc then yes, this would be a great arrangement. It's not cheap campaining a dog...last year my breeder spent $10,000 showing one of my Newf's pup's. The cost of travel, motel rooms etc. can really rack up a big price.
For myself the arrangement I have worked out perfectly for me. I am no more interested in dog shows than I am in jumping off the side of a tall bridge. The breeder and I get along great, and she always came through and signed all the dogs over to me "after" she got their titles. This allowed me to concentrate on their obedience titles which interest me.

So, I would think this over carefully. How much more is the show quality over pet quality? is the breeder looking for a home for the dog close by so it's easy for her to campain? Is it something you want, or do you just want a pet...remember their may be "some" restrictions on a show dog depending on the breed...for example my Newf's when they were being shown the breeder did not want me taking them for long hikes in case of lameness etc. Plus, I was always worried about something happening to them before a show, blowing coat, etc. Can you handle your dog leaving possibly every weekend during show season? A show title on a dog means nothing to me, I just love having my pet dogs...the only reason I took this arrangement is because I got the dogs for free with 5 years of free food, vet bills. All my dogs are champions in 3 countries (except my Rescue dogs)...I don't find this to be anything to be proud of at all...after all they are only beauty contests.

Tobysmom

If the breeder is going to be showing the dog and getting the benefits from that (like stud), why do you have to pay more when you are still just getting a pet.

Sounds fishy, I wouldn't pay for a show quality dog unless you will be the one showing him.

showpug

If I had to sway one way or another I would say DON'T do it and here is why. Over the next two years, regardless whether or not the dog is "show quality" you will grow to love it as your pet. You will care for it and pay all of it's expenses and deal with the fact that he will most likely mark in your house and be more of a handful due to not being neutered etc. All the show people I know are usually very eager to not have males unless they absolutley have to! What you also need to realize is that when the handler takes your dog, it will make you sad, not to mention a dog that is not used to traveling to shows or going with a handler may become sad or depressed too! A stranger taking my dog away from me would drive me crazy. And you won't have a say in the matter! Not all handlers are trustworthy and because they exhibit many dogs at any given show, your dog does not always get a fair amount of care or attention. That is why I show my dogs and don't allow handlers on them. Also, who will show train your dog? You can't just take an ordinary dog that is not used to showing or one that has not been show trained and show it for 3 months and be done. Keep in mind that some dogs take up to a year or more to finish a championship. No one knows how long it will take this dog. Who will pay the entry fees, handler fees and handler boarding fees for your dog? Who gets the potential stud fees? When will you be allowed to neuter this dog, or will she require he be left intact until he dies? Who is responsible if he unintentionally passes on a genetic problem to generations of puppies? These are all things to consider. Now, if you are interested in showing the dog yourself and finishing his championship with you on the other end of the lead then I would sway towards getting this dog. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

mrose_s

BusterLove
imn my opinion, I would get pet quality, if he is your pet you don't want him gone for three months and trained by someone else when he is still a pup. Plus, if he is being used for stud, what if he wanders off and gets hit by a car or what not?

The decision is yours, however the dog will be yours and you should be compensated for loss of time with him when he's on the show circuit as well as his breeding activity. He's gonna be your dog (you paid for him) and she's using him for her gain and her advertising for her kennel. I'd make sure you have final say in all things regarding the dogs activities.

bubbatd

When I wanted to buy a Meadow Pond female to breed to my Bubba down the road it was the same story.... I would be co-owner. The breeders wanted to show. I backed out, I only wanted a healthy pet quality golden with the looks and temperment.

Theof

Thanks everyone for your advice and insight. I've talked with my friends at my dog park and they all thought the same thing as the rest of you. Its a bad deal for me.

So I called her today and told her after some thought that we really want a dog that is pet quality. I explained that a show dog wouldn't be a good fit for our lives. She was totally cool and we are going to look at pups again and pick out another.

Thanks again!

skyhigh

Thats good news. Pics, pics, pics. Take some of the litter when you go to see them :) lol. Nah, jk. But, i wouldn't mind

showpug

That sounds like the right decision for your situation. Most reasonable and responsible breeders will want both their dogs and new owners happy. Sounds like you found a good breeder. Not all co-ownerships are bad and some only have a few strings attached, but in most cases they are too extreme! Good luck with your new pooch!!

Members online

No members online now.