please settle an argument for me

H

h2304

Dogs, and most most mammals for that matter grow very fast in their fist couple years of life. Just think, a baby grows very fast into adolthood. Lets say child hood is 20% of your life. So a Dog is 18 when it is 2 if it lives to be ten. Or 3 if it lives to be 15

nancy2394

I was totally not expecting this many people to respond so quickly on this question...lol. Any other time I would have just dropped it and been like "hey it's no big deal who's right or wrong.... you think what you wanna think and I'll think what I wanna think" But you guys have no idea what kind of neighbor I am talking about. She has to be right about absoultely EVERYTHING. I just wanted to be right for once...lol. And all I care is that I was able to find it in black and white on both of those web sites I posted that supported my statement to her. And I just wanted to share with everyone again how much I love my puppy.. she's fast asleep on my chest right now as I type.

H

h2304

Even though a Dogs human age is trivial, many people feel happyer knowing there companions age. Becouse many people think as there dogs as a part of the family(including me)And many people see their dogs as a little human.

nancy2394 said:
If I am wrong.. I will call my neighbor tomorrow and admit I'm wrong... but I hope I'm not wrong because I would love to be able to gloat that I was right.

Is it correct to say that if a dog is 7 years old
then it is 49 years old in human years.

OR

Is it correct to say if a dog is 7 years old
then it is 49 years old in dog years

I think the first one is correct... that is always what I was told since I was a little kid. I was always told for every year of a dog's age was equivalent to 7 human years. But my neighbor disagrees and says I have it backwards and we finally agreed to disagree. I would really appreciate if someone could answer this for me and put it to rest.
There's no way a dog can be X years in human years and still be living when they're up in their years. The staple had always been a dogs years are 7xhuman years = their "lifestyle" like humans know it...

EliNHunter said:
There's no way a dog can be X years in human years and still be living when they're up in their years. The staple had always been a dogs years are 7xhuman years = their "lifestyle" like humans know it...
So how would you phrase it then?

nancy2394

Is no one checking out either one of the web sites I posted in this thread?? I did not mean to cause such a debate over a simple question... I'm sorry. It was just a curiosity factor for me. I guess I should have researched it on the internet before posting my question. If you guys would just go to either of those web sites it tells you. One of the web sites even breaks it down to how they age faster in the beginning and then it slows down as far as dog years vs. human years. The bottom line (according to the web site information) If someone asks you how old your dog is and you reply with "my dog is 7 years old" That is in DOG years you are referring. If you want to do the mathematical formula they have come up with and want to refer to your dog in HUMAN years then it would be approximately 44 years old. I hope this can settle this debate I didn't mean to start. Sorry for all the confusion. It's late.. now everyone should go to bed and get some sleep...lol. I know I am..lol.

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
First one is the way it goes however they have just come out with a study this year that ups the aging process on dogs.........I will try and find that info and post when I do. It was really interesting.........makes your dogs older that you think........

Saje

Island dweller
You know hold old your dogs are because they are your dogs. Or a general idea as I do. If you want to know how it translates look at the site that was listed.

This is a friendly debate! No worries. :)

I think we need to define what a human year is and what a dog year is.

I see it as a human year =365 days
I see it as a dog year is 365/7 =approx 52 days
A dog that is 7 human years would be 2555 days old
A dog that is 49 human years=49(365) =17885 human days old

Now the other way says

If a dog is 7 years old it is 49 human years old.
I disagree. It may be equivelant in ratio to the age of a 49 year old person but it is certainly not 17,885 days old. I know what the web sites say but I think the wording is wrong. A human year is a human year and if I was 49 human years old I would be 17,885 days old (not counting leap years for you detail oriented folks) And I would be 49(7)=343 dog years old

I have been to the websites and just because its on the web in a thousand places doesnt make it right, look at all the false or conflicting information just on this forum. I also just want to find the proper wording, if this is offending anyone please put me on ignore because on a serious topic I will make you insane.

Saje

Island dweller
I don't think there is a right answer or right formula but we can all have our ideas.

H

h2304

But whe worlds oldest dog lived well past 20. But using the 1 year=7dog years a dog that lived to be 20 would be 140 years old but no person has ever lived past 122.

So if a child and dog were born on the same day, 7(365 days) later the dog would be 7 dog years old so then how old would the child be? 7 dog years? or 7 human years?

This is worse than that light speed question. If you were able to drive at light speed and you turned on your headlights what would they do. The best that I could come up with is that the filiment in the light bulb would glow but project no light...but thats for another thread

Members online