Have to decied by tomorrow,help!!!!!

vegas

Hi

I have a 9 month old cavalier king charles and was wondering if i should get a second.

The reason i want to get a second is because (this is going to sound stupid) i some times feel sorry for her because she has no one she can communicate with (don't get me wrong she is loved and i work from home so we are always playing here or in the garden).

Is it that much harder having a second dog?
Is it that much more work?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
more food, more vet bills, more bathes, more to brush, more laffs, more love, more cuddle, more romps

vegas

:).................more of everything then,lol.

But stress wise, with my dog now i have no stress at all, i take her out iin the morning, play with her in the garden during the day and she rests next to me while i work.

Is there anyone who had 1 and now has 2, whats it like???

I enjoy seeing the interaction between the animals. Bimmer was an only dog for awhile - before Buffy - but he played with Gomez, the cat. I haven't had an "only" dog since I was twelve, and I've really loved having more than one animal.

Your dog will get more exercise with a companion, which is good for health. Something you may not thought of though is that you will have to share your dog's attention :)

Fran27

I keep wondering the same thing too :( I am with Boris probably 22 hours a day during the week, the two hours being when he is outside playing or sleeping in another room, and sometimes a couple more hours during the week when I go out (it does happen occasionally :p). The thing is, I'm worried that he's bored. The cats don't want to play with him, and he has lots of toys, and I cuddle him a lot, and take him for walks, and he plays in the yard, but he spends so much time just napping that I'm starting to think that he's just doing it out of boredom.

Also, when he sees other dogs, he just loves playing with them. One day we took him to the park and there was a 8 months old labradoodle he played with for about 20 minutes, and he seemed to have so much more fun than when he is alone at home with me :(

So I guess I'm exactly in the same position as Vegas, lol. Except that Boris is only 7 months, and my husband doesn't want another dog for a while (although I am working on it :D ). I think that what worries me is that we spend so much in chew toys for Boris, I am really worried that we will have to spend twice as much...

I found it worth every extra dollar I have to spend to have 2 dogs. Princess use to whine alot. She really seemed bored and sad because she wanted to play with other dogs. Since we got Gracie she rarely whines. She has a playmate who will roughplay. They will play in a way I cant do, so she's happy as can be. All worth it.

avenlee

hmmm this is a trick question right? LOL I figure when it comes to four legged kids and two legged :) kids, once you have one, what's another? When my daughter was about to turn 5 yrs. old, I turned to Tony (the hubby) and said "You know we really should start thinking about another before she grows up too much where there's too many years between them" Well three daughters later, I'm slapping myself wondering what the HECK was I thinking. LMAO honestly though, if you can handle it, I say why not? Go for it. It is a pleasure watching my two dogs together. Now granted, I have'nt had any horror stories either.

vegas

The onyl thing that worries me is instead of one dog watching me and being board there will be two.

Fran27

Well I think they probably would be bored sometimes, but would have lots of fun together too.

I know if it was up to me, I would get another dog right away, I've seen a lot on petfinders that look totally awesome, I just see no reason not to have two (well except the money issue), but a rescue already neutered and vaccinated would not even be such a problem money-wise. I wish I could convince my husband, I know that Boris is almost mature enough for it now :(

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Yeah but they will be able to entertain themselves when you can't play with them. I started off with one dog, and felt bad because I don't feel I spend enough time with him so I got another dog. Well then my husband brought home a puppy, so now I have three dogs and I gotta say I don't even think they miss me if I leave they're so busy having fun with each other. Although when I come back then they shower me with so much love and affection. I think my dogs are happier because they have each other to be with when I can't be with them. I play with my dogs I'd say 8 hours a day. Once in the morning two different times in the afternoon and then once at night but when I can't be with them then atleast I know that they aren't alone and they always have each other.

I got Jackson when Chloe was about 15 weeks old, and I'm really happy that I did. They're the best of friends and always have eachother to play with. The puppy part was a bit more intense at times, having two of them to tend to. The nice thing was that they always had eachother for company. It's been a good thing for us. :D

Kathy74

I found that, once Jersey was trained, having 2 was easier. Yes, it was more expensive and everything else, but Serene was so much happier! There were alot of times that I would put off doing things because Serene looked bored. Three has been a little trickier, but it's worth it b/c they have a new playmate they enjoy. Nobody's EVER bored, there's always someone who wants to play, I don't feel guily if I'm busy, and I could sit and watch the 3 of them play, and laugh my butt off for hours!! I make sure they each get 1 on 1 with me,and we all have a time to play and train in the yard together. It's just important that no one feels left out!

Members online

No members online now.