Palsy

Mach1girl

Any info needed asap on thereapy, what kind, how often, etc needed asap on a dog with Palsy. Any links/sucess/failure stories. best/worst case scenerios. Everything I need to know BEFORE making any drastic or possibly worng decisions.

Was determined the Paulsy was brought on by a lcack of oxygen at some point. She was second one born and Dixie had a hard time with her bag, as we did as well. Maybe this was the incident. POSSIBLY genetic, but the highest percentage of these cases are brought on by lack of oxygen.

I have clients w/ Palsy, several actually. They receive physical therapy to get by and keep limbs mobile. However, they are trained in their minds to do ok. Dont know if a dog can or is capable of this.

They want/suggest to put her down now. At this rate, will not be able to walk by 1 year old. I however am always looking for another way out. I am responsible therefore I have to either fix or end it all.

Maybe swimming, and walking, massage can have an impact. However, all the vets I am consulting seem to think the easy way out will save us both, us and Daizy alot of suffering. She doesnt seem to be suffering, she is sooo happy go lucky. But I guess she is. When she cannot keep up, and falls smacking her chin and bending her arms different unnatural ways. Falling in her food bowl, water, I dont know.

The Skyway is looking inviting. (The largest bridge in Fla!) I may very well pay it a visit....

bubbatd

Do what's right for her.....I doubt if anything can be done. I don't understand the bag bit. If she didn't clear the pup right away, she may have known the pup wasn't right. How did you have trouble with the sac ??

Mach1girl

She was second born. Dixie was still bust rolling around pup #1 and cleaning. I saw her coming, she was just a wiggling like crazy out the canal, then Dix turned and bit the cord. She totally stopped moving. So we gave Dix a chance to get the bag, and she just licked. So hubby grabbed at it to open it and it was real thick and slippery, so I tried, there was prolly quite a few seconds gone by until it was opened. Then Daizy started squirming and found a nipple.
She has been loud and outgoing from that moment. I used to refer to her as sassy, very demanding, very "Diva" like.
I know whats best. I dont know how, thats the prob. Do I wait a few weeks and try therapy>? Or is that postponing the inevidable?

moe

Has it defiantley been diagnoised as palsy? if so I think its only fair to her to let her go gently, what quality of life will she have if she cant stand, walk properly, falling constantly, etc. this is no life for a dog IMO

Mo

Mach1girl

It has been process of elimination. It could have either been distemper, Enciphalitus or Palsy. Enciphalitus and distemper would have shown a viral infection in her blood, which was negative, distemper also would have 100% been passed to the other pups by now, they are healthy. She has no fever and is eating fine, very active. It is a definate nuerological problem, as she shows no reaction to a threat to the face(smacking motion) and her pupils fail to dialate with a pen light. They say there is a nuerologist that can definatly diagnose what type, but still after thousands of diagnosing the problem, there is no way to re wire the central nervous system.
SOOOOO_As i am willing to spend everything to fix her, I am not sure if it is worth diagnosing if they tell me there is no cure before she gets diagnosed. Like going into something with no hope.

Like I said, I think I will work with her, until I see such a downfall, then I will do whats necessary.

Do you think the dog suffers from the euthanasia shot?? Or does she just go to sleep?*cry*cry*cry*

moe

Just goes to sleep. anyone that has been under GA will tell you that there is no pain going under, thats how it is.

Mo

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Perhaps you can try a dog wheel chair if she cant use her back legs very good.

In my opinion I would never put anything down if there is a chance it could servive and live a reletivly good life.

Oh poor thing!! I hope everything turns out ok!! Did you read the post Dizzy put in your thread Numb? Maybe if you do take her to a neurologist they might find out exactly what's wrong and it may be something she will grow out of. I know I would at least take her to them and see what they think first.
I don't know anything about the puppy, but her life is worth giving a chance.
Good luck, and I hope things get better.

Saje

Island dweller
This is the happiest dog in the world you said. I'm sure you can make it work so she stays the happiest dog in the world even if she's special needs. It doesn't sound like she's in pain.

RD

Are you dead yet?
If she's so happy, I honestly would keep fighting for her. She might have to live a different lifestyle than her littermates but I know of quite a few "special" dogs that get on just fine.
It depends a lot on quality of life. If she's a happy dog that loves life, why euthanize her rather than try to help her?

I had a cat with neurological problems. She was born in a tree. The kittens fell out of the tree and then the mama got hit by a car. Someone took the kittens to the animal shelter. I was fostering a cat that had just had kittens and they brought the two that survived the fall to my house so the mama cat I had could raise them.

Anyway, one of the kittens suffered brain damage most likely due to the fall. We decided to keep her despite her problems. She was the happiest little cat ever. She only lived 3 years. She could never walk in a straight line. She ran into walls a lot. But I never doubted her happiness. As soon as I picked her up, she would relax and purr really loud. After a while, she lost her vision completely. I could tell her quality of life had deteriorated. We had her put to sleep.

So anyway, I think that as long as you can tell she has good quality of life, you should keep her. I'm assuming you are plannning to keep this one if you don't have her PTS? The ones with special needs are the ones that really touch your heart sometimes.

Mach1girl

ok, here is the verdict for now. we have decided to work with her, stregnthen, stretch, much like the pt that my clients receive. we will try to keep the splacity in her limbs. we will try and work on her "aim" with swimming to us. we will try everything possible. when it becomes apparant that she needs to be put down, we will do that. i refuse to make her suffer emotionally, as she is not suffering emotionally at the moment. she gets aggrevated, but she is a tough one.

hey, i really wanted to show her.......think the ukc has a "special olympic" type deal????Hahaha, not funny, well, kinda

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Hey dont give up hope. You never know, perhaps its not what you think and she'll grow out of it and become a shod og

moe

I hope it all works out OK for you and agree if the pup IS happy then its OK, I didnt want to sound heartless in my ealier post if I came across like that then I apologise. its just that I have seen people with pets that have no quality of life continuing to keep the poor thing going purely for personal reasons(they dont want to lose it) when it would be kinder to PTS. as you say you are willing to try to work it out and IF things dont go to plan you will do right by the pup when/if the time comes. good luck and I really do hope things go well for you.

Mo

bubbatd

Yes, there's a fine line here as to quality of life. The " disabled " should never be put down... ( thank God for my Nash !! ) He never would have been aborted because of having DS.... but I do think had his ultra sound shown a brain stem disorder that meant he wouldn't live long and would suffer , he would have been. Move ahead with your plans and let us know how she's doing .

Mach1girl

weird, tonite, I just got sick and tired of her tipping on her head while eating. She kept flippin gover backwards, like her stomache was twisting in half, horrible. Wonder if the stomach muscles were actually twisting, it looked like the exorcist.
Anyway, I went to try and hold her back half down, the more I did that the harder she pushed to flip. So, (ah ha) I held the bowl up under her chin, she did great. Still shaky, but no more flipping. Hmmmm.

But doesnt this cause bloat?

doberkim

Naturally Natural
Mach1girl said:
It has been process of elimination. It could have either been distemper, Enciphalitus or Palsy. Enciphalitus and distemper would have shown a viral infection in her blood, which was negative, distemper also would have 100% been passed to the other pups by now, they are healthy. She has no fever and is eating fine, very active. It is a definate nuerological problem, as she shows no reaction to a threat to the face(smacking motion) and her pupils fail to dialate with a pen light. They say there is a nuerologist that can definatly diagnose what type, but still after thousands of diagnosing the problem, there is no way to re wire the central nervous system.
SOOOOO_As i am willing to spend everything to fix her, I am not sure if it is worth diagnosing if they tell me there is no cure before she gets diagnosed. Like going into something with no hope.

Like I said, I think I will work with her, until I see such a downfall, then I will do whats necessary.

Do you think the dog suffers from the euthanasia shot?? Or does she just go to sleep?*cry*cry*cry*

how can they tell you if they can fix her without figuring out what is wrong with her?

dogs dont get just a "palsy" (which isnt a disease itself, there is bells palsy, cerebral palsy, etc - palsy is just a movement disorder) - there is something behind it- i would see a neurologist (board certified) and have him examine the pup - some litters have ding puppies, other dogs are born with some issues, and some can live months to years with a good quality life.

your best bet IS to go see a neurologist and have them examine her and figure out what is wrong. its impossible to say what her prognosis is, or how to help her, without knowing what is ACTUALLY wrong with her.

and no, theres nothing wrong with feeding her elevated - if thats how she has to eat to be safe, then feed her that way!

Members online