I don't know how much to feed. =P

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I feel like a loser. lol.

Not entirely sure how much food to feed Happy. She weighs 44lbs, the vet would like to see her down to around 40lbs. The woman fostering her said she fed her 1c-1.5c a day (of Natural Balance Synergy), PLUS meat and vegetables. And the way she acts in the kitchen/around food, and the fact that the other dog that lived there was a chunky monkey too... I think she got lots of treats and table scraps too. So, she ate a lot.

I have a little bit of the Synergy left and as of yesterday she's being transitioned onto Fromm Gold Senior. The bag says she should get 2.5c a day. Umm... that's how much Juno gets a day and she weighs more + is more active + has a faster metabolism. So I am pretty sure Happy would really be a blimp on that amount of food.

So I don't really know where to start! Right now I've been giving her 1.5c a day, split into two meals. I don't know if this is okay. I want her to lose weight, but not because I'm starving her. =P

So. Anyone have dogs of a similar size, or any suggestions on an amount I should start with?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Aeri is 42lbs and very active and she gets 2.5 cups Fromm Adult Gold per day. Kes is 38lbs and moderately active and eats 1.5 cups Fromm Adult Gold per day. I think 1.5 cups is certainly reasonable as a starting point!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Rossy gets 1 1/2 - 2 cups of Fromm four star grain inclusive a day. She's 40lbs.

ETA: Rosey was up to 43lbs eating that amount too. It has kept her at the same condition, the weight loss was muscle/old dog issues, rather than "fat".

I can very easily feel her ribs and her spine sticks out but that is due to arthritis.

The amount she is fed fluctuates because I have family :p ideally she eats 1 1/2 cups of kibble a day, plus about 115g of wet food a night, with about 3oz of liver

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Saxon is 38 pounds, pretty active, and eats 1.5 cups of Nature's Variety Instinct. I would say 1.5 cups a day would be enough for an older, less active 44 pound dog.

4 refreshes and 1 messed up reCaptcha went into the making of this post.

JacksonsMom

Sounds about right to me...

Jackson, can range from moderately active - very active, generally gets 2/3 cup per day and he's about 17lbs.

1.5 cups sounds good for a 40-ish lb older less active dog.

Most bags recommend Jackson to be eating 1 cup - 1 1/4 cup per day and that would just way too much! But he also gets treats, chews, etc.

Aeri is 42lbs and very active and she gets 2.5 cups Fromm Adult Gold per day. Kes is 38lbs and moderately active and eats 1.5 cups Fromm Adult Gold per day. I think 1.5 cups is certainly reasonable as a starting point!
I am loving Fromm Adult Gold... just started feeding it to Jackson, and he loves it too. I think I'm liking the results better than the Four Star line for sure!

Just a side point. :p

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Thanks for the input! Hopefully too the decrease in snacks and increase in exercise will help her out!

I love Fromm gold because its cheap lol while still being awesome. Definitely my first choice now that I have to pay for 2 mouths!

Members online

No members online now.