Checking in after Sandy

milos_mommy

Hey everybody, I'm alive, and there are no trees or water in my living room, so I feel pretty lucky.

The storm hit hard, we're still out of power, although it is slowly returning to a few business in the area - like the library, where I, along with about 200 other people are on the internet for the first time in days.

Luckily, our hot water didn't go out, and we did have a small generator which has kept the food cold...unfortunately finding gas to run it is, at best, impossible, and at worst, downright dangerous. Aside from people rioting and fighting over gas, mostly everyone's pulled through to help one another. My dad also managed to hook up the heat to the generator, so after 3 nights of sleeping like we're camping in the adirondacks, we finally had heat...but now there's almost no gas left. It's not really a problem, though. We can charge our phones too...but...no cell service. I can text in and out, but can't call.

I spent last night in the ER for dehydration/hyperemesis....but the best part...after my ultrasound was canceled due to the hurricane, I got one at the ER, and SAW THE ITTY BITTY HEARTBEAT AND LITTLE BABY SPINE AND IT WAS WIGGLY AND PERFECT <3

Not sure how long we'll be without gas or internet...they said expect more than 10 days, but so far it's been nearly 4 and I'm thinking we might have it back in a few more days.

The dogs think the hurricane is super-great because everyone is off work/school and home to PLAY...I have some great pictures but don't know when I'll be able to share them.

Hope everyone else is safe/warm/well-fed.

((((((HUGS)))))) Glad you checked in and are okay. Sounds like you're coping with your usual grace and competence :)

How special is that -- getting to see the baby!

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
glad to hear you are ok--what a frightening experience. Stay safe--and crossing fingers that power will be restored soon!

xpaeanx

Glad you guys didn't get much damage. It's funny, some parts of long island were untouched...then others saw massive damage.

Hopefully the power will come back up, cuomo is coming down hard on the part companies.

As far as gas, last I heard they have opened the ports in Riverhead... But until today I wasn't aware that there were ports in Riverhead. I haven't been able to find anything in the news to confirm that though.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Glad to here you are okay and were able to get medical attention when you needed it. Lots of good thoughts heading your way -- hoping power is restored soon. Take care.

Catsi

Take care, MM. Glad to hear you are doing ok and that you got to the ER alright. Wonderful news about the little one. :)

Brattina88

Glad you checked in! I was worried!!
Let us know if you need anything ((((hugs))))

Romy

Taxiderpy
Yay! *mugs you* So happy that you and your family are safe, and that the baby is doing great too. :D I was really worried about you when you went offline for a few days.

Miakoda

Glad to hear y'all have escaped without major tragedy. Hurricanes are hard enough on us, but we're built (as best as can be) to withstand them. Y'all having a major hurricane is more equated to us dealing with snow (we're just not set up or equipped to deal with such).

There are many LSU tailgating groups that are collecting money to donate up there. One group of people said they'll match dollar-to-dollar up to $1,300. It may not sound like much, but we're talking regular everyday folks down here.

And I wish the states up there good luck. Louisiana still hasn't received FEMA funds for Isaac...

xpaeanx

I hope you got power back. I don't remember exactly where you live... I know it was somewhere by SB. I know half of SB has power and they other half still doesn't.

milos_mommy

Still no power...I live in Centereach. The western/southern area has power...my neighbor's tree took out a power line and the 600 houses around his are still out.

No one I know in stony brook has power, except the businesses along main street and stony brook rd/347. Most surrounding areas got power back today unless they're along the water.

My dad hooked our generator up to the modem so my brother could have internet for school...and his friend bought us 10 gallons of gas he waited on line for 5 hours for.

I'm sort of enjoying having no phone or internet :p it'd be nice to have lights though

Members online

No members online now.