Introducing My Purebred Golden Doodle!!!

LauraLeigh

As a baby...

After a shave down

Here's the story, I was in town today and Foster was with me in the truck..

This lady wanted to meet him so I got him out out, he LOVES people so was quite tickled...

She was saying how much she wanted a purebred Goldendoodle just like him...

I tried to explain they weren't a registered breed and technically are truly just a mixed breed mutt (in the nicest way, not demeaning mutts at all) and that we really don't know for sure even what his mix is (though its not hard to see, and guess Dad was a Poodle) We only know his mom was a Golden... Found pregnant and wandering in an area know for Mennonite breeders, it's assumed she escaped and no one ever claimed her...

She almost acted like a child with her fingers in her ears going lalala..... She was not hearing any of it.. And went on to tell me she has this really nice breeder picked out and he assures her they are pure, and is selling her a pup for only "$1000!" I rather gave up...

So I thought you'd get a kick out of my purebred!

Ps... Never name a dog "Foster" in an attempt to remind yourself he's temporary... It's the ultimate irony when they wind up staying forever!

Fran27

Oh man. Lol. I hate people who buy to that 'hype'.

I still wish they bred true though, and that there were good breeders of them (not the Australian puppy mills that have 50 puppies a month). I'd love to have one.

Kilter

Oh man. Lol. I hate people who buy to that 'hype'.

I still wish they bred true though, and that there were good breeders of them (not the Australian puppy mills that have 50 puppies a month). I'd love to have one.
Ditto. They are soo inconsistent and not up to the hypes the 'breeders' brag about.

Huh, my experience has been the exact opposite - and we have a LOT of doodles up here - in that they are one of the mixes that seem to come out relatively consistently in both temperament and physical appearance and they are generally really sweet (although extremely high energy) dogs. I wouldn't mind one at all, if I were going to spend that kind of money on a dog.

Doberluv

There are a few good breeders of Labradoodles...(not familiar with Goldendoodles) And some of those are very nice and consistent. I bet it won't be long until they're a fixed breed.

Anyway, he's adorable...really quite pretty. I bet I'd love that temperament since I love both breeds.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Funny story... I will say he looks 100% identical to my aunt's doodle she paid a lot for tho haha

Grab

We have a little Parvo pup at work who was surrendered. She's reported to be a French Bulldog/Pit Bull cross, which is reportedly some new "breed" (looks like a weird Boston mix). The original breeder of the pup is trying to reclaim her and says the breed is "almost AKC" *rolls eyes*

And yah, sometimes you just have to roll your eyes. "A fool and his money . . ."
Sometimes this attitude about "designer breeds" makes me sad. If someone is happy with the dog they get, and the dog is happy in the home, and the breeder is decent, then why are they a fool regardless of whether they spend $5 or $10,000? *I* wouldn't spend $1000 on a doodle, but I know several families who are super happy with theirs... how they spend their money really isn't my business.

It's not that they spend it, it's that they drank the kool-aid, thinking they are getting a "pure breed."

Face it, a GOOD doodle breeder, with ethics, wouldn't represent them as a pure breed, but would be straight up about what they are and where they are as far as breeding true.

I don't have the same horror of breeding for a good mix as a lot of people. If I knew how to breed a mix for Bimmer-dogs I surely would be tempted, and would likely have a waiting list ;) But I wouldn't charge people $1000 for "pure bred" pups.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Sometimes this attitude about "designer breeds" makes me sad. If someone is happy with the dog they get, and the dog is happy in the home, and the breeder is decent, then why are they a fool regardless of whether they spend $5 or $10,000? *I* wouldn't spend $1000 on a doodle, but I know several families who are super happy with theirs... how they spend their money really isn't my business.
Totally agree! I see dozens of doodles a day, LOL, and most make their families really happy.

I just wish that the breeders would health test and be honest about that fact that some of these dogs DO shed, and that you don't always get "the best of both breeds". I've seen doodles with the craziest kinds of coats, and many also have very extensive coat maintenance. They seem to matt up far easier than your average poodle. :(

But yeah, I hear you. I used to be really anti-designer breed until I started seeing them all the time. Now I just hope that some of this false advertising and lack of health will be replaced with better ethics.

That said I have two clients with dogs (lovely, lovely sweet dogs) from a local Doodle breeder who health tests and heavily screens potential homes.

But yeah, I hear you. I used to be really anti-designer breed until I started seeing them all the time. Now I just hope that some of this false advertising and lack of health will be replaced with better ethics.
At the beginning of the doodle wave, when we were just starting to see a lot of puppies, honestly I cringed and thought "well this will end badly" because on paper in some ways the mix just seems like a nightmare. But now that I've seen dozens and dozens of them and seen how consistent they are and how they are almost all really sweet, stable, fantastic family dogs... I'm really sold.

I would not fault anyone for getting a doodle for sure, if the breeder is decent. Which at least around here they seem to be, because I don't really see people who think they are getting a pure breed or have weird unrealistic expectations. That colors my opinion, for sure.

Having met a couple of really nicely bred Doodles from what I'd consider good breeders (and they weren't represented as "pure bred" dogs to their owners), I really, really like everything about them.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I have a ton of doodles at my work. We see a lot of behavioral and health issues that I would love to not see but I can say that about breeds as well.

Over all though our goldendoodles seem pretty driven and fun, our labradoodles have an edge, and our cockapoos pee, a lot.

How's that for breeding true? lol

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I would not fault anyone for getting a doodle for sure, if the breeder is decent. Which at least around here they seem to be, because I don't really see people who think they are getting a pure breed or have weird unrealistic expectations. That colors my opinion, for sure.
Yeah for sure.

They do have the weirdest range of coat types though. We have one that has a coarse, harsh, curly top coat but a soft under coat that sheds out. He doesn't need to be clipped as a result but he does shed. Then we have one who had the typical soft, fluffy coat but she also has an undercoat. But she can't seem to shed it out past her top coat and her owners don't brush her enough so she gets crazy matted. And her top coat grows indefinitely. :eek: So confusing.

And then we have one supposed Labradoodle that has a straight up wire coat. Like, she looks like a GWP. Our groomer actually hand-stripped her for her owner, LOL. I don't know enough about the genetics behind curly and wire-haired coats to know what's going on there or if she has to have some sort of wire-haired breed in her.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Labradoodles get wire coats all of the time, I really don't understand it! We have several here and they all have that harsh wirey coat. All of our Goldendoodles range from tight coarse curls to soft flowing coats, the repeat generations tend to lean towards the softer coats.

The cockapoos seem to breed pretty true around here, I had a foster one and then a few here at work and they all act about the same and look about the same. They do vary a bit in size though but I presume that has a lot to do with size of poodle?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Guys, ya'll are making me have a flashback to a little (35lb) black Doodle thing named Nacho that used to come to work. He was Keeva's BFF and they refused to pay attention to anybody else. And he used to come up to me and want to be scooped up so he could put a paw on either shoulder and put his head under my chin. Ugh, my absolute favorite dog of all time, I think.

And he moved to San Francisco. :( Waaaaah. There's a doodle I would have taken in a heartbeat.

And then we have one supposed Labradoodle that has a straight up wire coat. Like, she looks like a GWP. Our groomer actually hand-stripped her for her owner, LOL. I don't know enough about the genetics behind curly and wire-haired coats to know what's going on there or if she has to have some sort of wire-haired breed in her.
No, I've seen that, too. It's not that common around here but there are a minority of the labradoodles that get a wiry coat. Those ones seem to be a little more serious and mellow to me, too.

Members online

No members online now.