Another Hair Thread.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
:p

I've been growing my hair out since September of last year. No cutting or even trimming. It was cut in Sept down to about an inch and a half to two inches long all over (very short, boyish haircut) Now it's just a little tiny bit past the tops of my shoulders. For the most part it's one length all over, with the front being a little bit shorter than the back, but not by a whole lot as my hair grows pretty fast.

It's getting to the point where I am constantly annoyed by it, and put it into a short ponytail and tuck it up under my hat (patrol style hat, not baseball cap) and I'm seriously considering chopping it all off if I can't figure out someway to manage it easily.

Id like to braid it, but every tutorial I can find it insanely hard for me to understand. Even the videos. I'd really like to figure out how to braid it in two braids beside my ears and curve down to the back and then pin that part up. Unfortunately, I'm not super coordinated, so this has been an exercise in frustration, because I have no idea what that type of braid is called, and every braiding tutorial they all have hair either way longer than mine, or at the very least a few inches longer than mine.

I know it can be done, because I've seen it, but the fact that everyone's hair is longer, plus the not knowing the braids name has turned up practically nothing. I've sort of half arsed figured out a braid, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for, but ideally I want to find one I can sleep it because I don't wash my hair every day, and something that will go under a patrol cap since I wear that working with dogs all day anyway. It's too short for a real ponytail (well, not really, but there's only a couple inches hanging out of the ponytail) and it's stupid thick and hard to manage. I need to figure out how to do it myself, because Steven can't even figure out a simple braid. :p

Or maybe a book that I can find to teach him to just braid my hair and I'll get him to do it, but it almost seems like it's in that in between stage where it's just a pain in the butt to try to do anything with, and I either need to gtfo it and suck it up for another six months or chop it off again.

It also feels like it will NEVER be mid back again, despite the fact that that's really where I'd like it to be (I have pictures of my hair that long when I was a lot younger, but I can't seem to get that length again) and I'm despairing that it's close to terminal length and will never be that long again. ARGH.

Anyway, help, advice, anything is appreciated! :D

After spending a lifetime fighting with that "terminal length" frustration, after cleaning up my diet (dropping gluten, dropping excess carbs, upping protein and good fats) and ditching chemicals on my hair it's growing like MAD. The back has gone from mid shoulder blade around February to well below the bottom of my bra strap -- about midway to my waist. And it's back to being THICK. And when I did go in to have it shaped up last, after several months, my hairdresser was amazed because I had no split ends at all. For my hair that's a freaking miracle. :hail:

My hair has NEVER grown at anything more than a snail's pace before.

So, that doesn't help you with braiding or styling (I never put mine up, can't stand it -- my bangs are usually down in my eyes), but don't let that terminal length thing get into your head -- or your hair ;)

Paige

Let it be
I did a super short pixie and have trimed off my back mullet a few times but I think our hair sounds about the same length. Are you able to post a picture? I can show you what I do to mine if you want. I've learned a few tricks on how to deal with my hair at any length while growing it out and they all take about a minute because I am not the type to fuss over my hair.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I'll take one when I get off work :) I don't think I've got one of how short it was because I mostly hate how i look in pictures :p

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
You might be looking for french braid instructions given your description, but keep in mind that braiding does take a LOT of length, so your hair may still be too short to do it up exactly like you want right now. French braiding is hard to do on yourself, but it can be done!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
The french pigtails was what I was looking for! I did it last night with an extremely thick braid (albeit slopply) and I still had enough left over on the ends to have to clip down. I think it should definitely be long enough to wear like that until its long enough to braid down one side and come around.

Its just ridiculously hard for me to do by myself right now. I can English braid no problem, but my hair isn't long enough to do a single braid down the back yet.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Glad I could help with a name! Of course now I'm thinking of trying it with my (much shorter) hair since I found some pics with short hair in braids! :p

RD

Are you dead yet?
Braiding is super hard and it's something i just can't do on my own hair. Mine's too thin and slippery, it's almost like a small child's hair.

I would recommend trimming the ends every month. It's something i neglected to do for a while and I saw my hair growth almost completely stop.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
LOL. I know. I keep seeing these super long braids from The Hunger Games and wish my hair was long enough for that lol

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Oh I *love* braids! Seriously <3 I'm always finding new braids to try.... or creating my own "new" ways to braid it. My hair sounds about the length of yours, but it may be a little bit longer.

Here are some recent ways I've braided my hair - I really love it because it keeps it out of my face, which is so nice.

French and Upside Down French Braid. I played softball, basketball, and ultimate frisbee with this hairstyle and it never came down. It was awesome! Though I didn't leave it in that funky bun, I changed that to a ponytail haha

This one was a trial run and it wasn't as good as the one I actually wore, but it kinda gives you an idea. It was two french braids on the side of my head, went a little bit past my ears. Then I gathered all the hair and twisted it in a bun. It also kept the hair out of my face, but the bun did start falling out after I went bowling lol

This is from last Wednesday and I just thought it was cool :p It was a French Braid (morphed into) a Fishtail Braid (morphed into) a regular braid. It held up SO well and I think I'm going to be doing this one again ;) I played kickball in this one, lol.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Nikki, can you come teach me how to braid my own hair? Those look amazing for summer.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Ohhhh Nikki you play frisbee?! That makes you more awesome :D

Anyways, I think I have slightly longer hair, and what I do is french braid it and either finish it or gather it into a low ponytail.

Taqroy

I learned how to french braid on a Barbie doll. :p Once you KNOW how to do one it's much easier to do it to your own head. See if you can find a doll with hair at a garage sale or something and follow a tutorial - having it right in front of you should help a lot. I learned how to french braid in self defense cause my mom used to pull my hair so hard. Lol.

Members online

No members online now.