Help! Have I lost my puppy's trust??

I have a 12-week-old shih tzu pup and I've had him for about 2 weeks. I have actually been on vacation so I've had a chance to really bond with him and he has been doing great. Problem is that we went to the vet today for 2nd vaccination. I didn't own him for his first vaccination, so this would be new for me. He had already been to my vet once for overall check-up and did great..so his first vet experience was good. Anyway..today when we went in, my vet wasn't there, so the other vet helped us. she was nice, but was kind of in a hurry and didn't have an assistant help her. So, when she tried to vaccinate pup, he wiggled around, which made it more painful, and screamed and screamed like I've never heard a puppy. He jumped into my arms as if to say "mom..save me!" and I stroked him and talked to him. At that point, the vet said I needed to hold him steady, so I did and she tried to give second shot. He freaked out so at that point she finally asked for an assistant and was able to get it done. But it was a horrible experience for me and my pup!

My concern is that because I was involved in holding him during all of this, will this break the trust that we have developed? He just seems so stand-offish now and I know he probably doesn't feel well...but it just has me worried. I hope he hasn't been traumatized too much!

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Doberluv

I don't think he'll mistrust you, (he'll be OK...can be the vaccine itself making him feel a little crummy) but I do think that a good vet spends a few minutes trying to make friends with a pup and helping to make the visit as low stress as possible for that visit and for future visits. Anyone who is in that much of a hurry without regard to gaining a little trust from a pup, who contributes to the pup's unease in the future is on my s*** list.

So, if it were me, I'd shop around for a vet, get recommendations from friends and ask how the vet treats their dogs when they first come in for a visit. Then call the vet and say to the receptionist that you're shopping around for a vet and you'd like to meet the vet/vets in their office and have them meet your dog. If they don't have 5 minutes to meet you and your dog, scratch them. See how they interact with your pup and see if it seems genuine. How does your pup react to them? Your pup may be still afraid, but see how it goes. Going frequently (once a week say) to a vet's office for just a treat and a few pats from the staff (5-10 minutes) and that will help socialize your pup to vet's offices and make them not so traumatic.

thanks..good idea.....and

..the other vet was actually great, so I know now to ask for him. He was really patient and caring.

Thank you for advice! I like the idea of visiting weekly with treats....

Doberluv

Oh good. I think your pup should get over this. Don't make a big deal or fuss over him too much when he does get all scared or he'll think that's the way he should be. Reassuring, but in a light way, "You're OK...no biggie." LOL.

bubbatd

I don'[t think it's a big deal either, but I'd go to the vet you like next time, just so you don't pass on your anxiety to your pup. Do stop by for a treat and a pat so he's more at home next time.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Nah, he'll be fine, if for no other reason than you are the one with the treats. :) Just do what everyone else has said.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Your pup had a big day and he just needs you to be there and comfort him, I sure he dosn't blame you for the shot incident, but make sure next time he goes for shot that the vet has an assistant so that the scene won't be repeated.

Members online

No members online now.