Hospital Bag..

iluvdogs

I really need to pack one but i'm struggling as to what to pack...

I don't have/use a house coat,slippers or nightgown..lol
I can't pack any of my toiletries as i'm still using them..lol (toothbrush)

So what things did you guys pack in your hospital bag that you REALLY needed....

Underwear,pads,nursing bra????

Also, did you pack 2 outfits for baby or just one? and what else did you pack that you wish you did for baby??

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
We packed 2-3 outfits for Justin to come home in, mainly because we didn't know what size he would fit. (As it was, he barely fit into the 3mos outfit we ultimately chose. LOL)

I would consider purchasing some slippers, or at least some really comfy socks. Maybe even buy a new toothbrush and a travel size toothpaste just to stick in there. That way you already have it without having to worry about remembering your regular toiletries.

I wouldn't worry too much about the nightgown/robe, because they will have something similar at the hospital. I honestly preferred the robe they had to the one I brought. :p

Don't forget that you will want clothes wear coming home from the hospital, too. :) Again, I packed two, one maternity outfit and one comfy-sized "regular" outfit, because I didn't know which I would fit in at that point.

Another thing we did is packed a few simple games. Things like a sudoku book, and a few card games. We actually did use these things during some of the wait time. lol

Hope that helps!

ETA: Nursing bra, definitely. You may or may not need it/want it right away, but definitely worth having handy. Underwear, yes (to go along with the homecoming clothes). Pads, maybe. The hospital will likely provide those for you after delivery. (They'll also probably supply some cotton granny panties, too. lol)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I pcked all kinds of stuff and then didn't use any of it lol

I would get some small travel sized toiletries to pack rather than packing big full sized bottles.

I packed pads and underwear and a set of clean maternity clothes to wear home.

I packed a few onesies for Hannah although she never wore any of them. Blankets were provided by the hospital

darkchild16

We are Home.
We packed 2-3 outfits for Justin to come home in, mainly because we didn't know what size he would fit. (As it was, he barely fit into the 3mos outfit we ultimately chose. LOL)

I would consider purchasing some slippers, or at least some really comfy socks. Maybe even buy a new toothbrush and a travel size toothpaste just to stick in there. That way you already have it without having to worry about remembering your regular toiletries.

I wouldn't worry too much about the nightgown/robe, because they will have something similar at the hospital. I honestly preferred the robe they had to the one I brought. :p

Don't forget that you will want clothes wear coming home from the hospital, too. :) Again, I packed two, one maternity outfit and one comfy-sized "regular" outfit, because I didn't know which I would fit in at that point.

Another thing we did is packed a few simple games. Things like a sudoku book, and a few card games. We actually did use these things during some of the wait time. lol

Hope that helps!

ETA: Nursing bra, definitely. You may or may not need it/want it right away, but definitely worth having handy. Underwear, yes (to go along with the homecoming clothes). Pads, maybe. The hospital will likely provide those for you after delivery. (They'll also probably supply some cotton granny panties, too. lol)
Keep in mind the pads you will be using are diaper sized! A camera!!! Your laptop/tablet. FOOD!!!! Your pillow/blanket. We brought a PICTURE outfit for Morgan/Bev and a PICTURE blanket. Savannah had all the NICU stuff since we didnt plan on her being that size. THE CAR SEAT!!!! Not for the coming home bag but make sure you have it LOL.

A special toy if you want pictures with it.

A hat/socks

I pcked all kinds of stuff and then didn't use any of it lol

I would get some small travel sized toiletries to pack rather than packing big full sized bottles.

I packed pads and underwear and a set of clean maternity clothes to wear home.

I packed a few onesies for Hannah although she never wore any of them. Blankets were provided by the hospital
The hospital provided them IN the hospital when Savannah was born but once you were discharged it was up to you.

I just wore their gowns I DID buy a labor gown that I planned to use for Savannah but it was in storage and it was going to get pulled out after the appt but she came during that time.

Honestly though this may be TMI but I was completely naked when I had Savannah IF you have members that will be present that you are concerned about that I would pack a sports bra and wear it. I got so freaking HOT in the gown I just yanked it off without a second thought :rofl1:.

CLOTHES for DAD!!!!!!!!! and snacks and what not for dad.

ETA:
As far as nursing bras I would pack one to go home at least but for me I NEVER wore them in the hospital it was just one more thing. If you are WELL endowed you might want more Im a C when I nurse LOL.

Also a HAIRTIE!! I forgot one with Bev and NEVER again. That rats nest was KILLER

zoe08

I would definitely want some slippers, even just a pair of slipper socks, something for your feet for walking in the hospital.

I did bring a few things for baby to wear. If you have a little shirt those work well if you just want them to be in something a little cuter than the plain white the hospital puts on them. If you plan to have them take pictures at the hospital, anything you want them to wear/have in those pictures. A pacifier if you want baby to have a pacifier and you already have a certain brand. In the hospital you will use their blankets, but you will want one for coming home.

Snacks - mostly for your husband. Sometimes it is nice to have something handy for him to snack on. So he doesn't have to go out to grab something every time he gets hungry.

my other suggestions really only are in case you have a c-section and I know some people are absolutely against preparing for it because they do not want one, but to be prepared for that, I would definitely want a pair of loose fitting pjs because by day 2 or 3 in the hospital, you will be tired of wearing the hospital gown. Also be sure that the clothes you bring to go home don't have a low waist band. I always wore the maternity pants with the band going under my belly, and it was too low that it hit my incision, so I could not wear them home, and had to wear my pj's home after my first c-section. Same with undies, if you were to end up with a c/s you would want them to have a higher waist so they won't rub the incision.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
The hospital provided them IN the hospital when Savannah was born but once you were discharged it was up to you.

I just wore their gowns I DID buy a labor gown that I planned to use for Savannah but it was in storage and it was going to get pulled out after the appt but she came during that time.

Honestly though this may be TMI but I was completely naked when I had Savannah IF you have members that will be present that you are concerned about that I would pack a sports bra and wear it. I got so freaking HOT in the gown I just yanked it off without a second thought :rofl1:.

CLOTHES for DAD!!!!!!!!! and snacks and what not for dad.
Our hospital sent the blankets home with us. We got to keep them and now they are all tucked away in my little keepsake area LOL.

I also wore their gowns and for the first day or two I just wore the fishnet underwear they gave me to use LOL. My MIL got accquainted with me in a way she probably never expected as I walked around the room with my gown undone and fishnet underwear on lol. I bought a robe but never used it.

darkchild16

We are Home.
Our hospital sent the blankets home with us. We got to keep them and now they are all tucked away in my little keepsake area LOL.

I also wore their gowns and for the first day or two I just wore the fishnet underwear they gave me to use LOL. My MIL got accquainted with me in a way she probably never expected as I walked around the room with my gown undone and fishnet underwear on lol. I bought a robe but never used it.
my stepmom was in the l/d room so she saw me rip off the gown when I was pushing LMAO.

Ive NEVER had blankets sent home so I would err on the side of caution.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
OH... if it matters at all to you. Towels. Brian brought me some towels from home after the first day. the hospital towels are so small and don't absorb anything LOL so after a shower I would have to use a whole bunch of them and it was a pain. So hubby brought me a few of our big fluffy towels from home :) definitely not a nessecity but it was a nice home comfort to have.

iluvdogs

Thanks so much guys!! Very helpful!! Now I can start packing..lol I'm going out today so i'll buy some slippers and toothbrush/paste like you guys said! :)

Did you guys pack your own diapers and wipes for baby??

Someone told me to pack...butt cream,and nipple cream...Do I really need to??

darkchild16

We are Home.
Thanks so much guys!! Very helpful!! Now I can start packing..lol I'm going out today so i'll buy some slippers and toothbrush/paste like you guys said! :)

Did you guys pack your own diapers and wipes for baby??

Someone told me to pack...butt cream,and nipple cream...Do I really need to??
Every hospital provides diapers, wipes, basic baby wash.

I never have taken my own butt cream because Ive never needed it that soon except with Savannah and she needed the hospital stuff (she was getting suppossitories)

Nipple cream I WOULD pack. Ive never used it in the hospital but I'm sure others had and its one of those things its so small Id take it.

OH and if you have a pump and plan to use one I WOULD take it. You will have a Lactation Consultant in the hospital most likely and she can help you with it instead of trying to juggle trying to take the baby to the LC to learn it later.

zoe08

You shouldn't need diapers/wipes. They will provide those in the hospital, and take EVERYTHING in the baby's cart that's left home. Diapers/wipes/brush/soaps/etc. Do NOT take the blankets home unless they specifically tell you it is ok. Our hospital does not send the blankets home, and they rotate the style of blanket they use. It is a safety precaution at our hospital. Babies HAVE to be swaddled in the hospital blankets to leave the rooms and be in the baby carts, until you are leaving with the baby in the car seat. They don't want people able to take the blankets home, so that no one can bring them back to attempt to steal babies. Sad the ways things are these days...

I would bring nipple cream just in case, but ask your lactation consultant for some before getting it out. They will probably have some little samples to give you.

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
I packed all kinds of stuff and then didn't use any of it lol
I would pack:

- One pretty going-home set of clothing for the baby, including a receiving blanket/blanket.

- One set of maternity clothes to wear home

- A toothpaste & tooth brush to use during your stay at the hospital (if you don't want to use what the hospital provided!)

The hospital I went to supplies everything the baby & I would need during our stay at the hospital and send us home with a baby undersshirt + hat, extra diapers, wipes, and pads, underwears for me, etc..

ACooper

Knee high socks! Lots of them. The hospital socks are little ankle socks.
Yes to baby socks, and also socks for MOMMY!!!

I can't say socks enough to moms-to-be wondering what to pack, LOL

I am not a sock person.........as a matter of fact, I don't care much for wearing shoes. As soon as I hit the door my shoes and socks come off. It never dawned on me to pack socks in my baby go bag since I figured I'd be in the hospital bed or wearing slippers when I got up.......MISTAKE!

My feet FROZE and my mother had to run out and get me socks......THICK ONES! LOL Second baby, different hospital/town, same deal with freezing feet but I did remember to bring my own that time ;) Plus, you know the old saying....better to have and not need than need and not have.

Yes to baby socks, and also socks for MOMMY!!!

I can't say socks enough to moms-to-be wondering what to pack, LOL
Also, a comfy pillow and blanket from home for you. The pillows and blankets provided at the hospital were impossibly thin, small and definately not cosy for sleeping/resting. Didn't see them mentioned, but receiving blankets for the learning curve of breastfeeding. They're light, yet comfy, and easier to maneuever than the sheets on the bed or the baby's swaddling blankets.

Chap stick or similar..my lips were peeling chunks of skin by the time I was done with my stay with C-Secion baby.

Hope all goes well!

Grab

I just brought go home clothes for myself and the kiddo. Plus a blanket for him. Plus a phone and laptop.

They provided pretty much everything else..toothbrush/paste, slipper socks, and the like. I was only there one night.

We live close enough to the hospital that my husband could just go home to shower, change, etc. And if something had happened to where I needed to stay longer, he could have brought additional things

Kilter

Have everything organized at home in case you need hubby to grab it.

Food - both for you and hubby, depending on how long you are in for. High fiber items are good, after a c-section everything slows down and if you're sore you don't want to be straining.

I used the hospital robe and panties too, but if you're in for a while some comfy jammies, pillow etc. are nice. Books to read or something too.

A baseball bat in case you have an annoying roomate. Sorta kidding.

I did get a lot of nipple cream samples, and a soother and baby stuff was covered till it was time to go home, so an outfit for them to wear home isn't a bad idea. With Nathan he was fine in a 3 month sleeper but Allie ended up being TINY and drown in the newborn size sleeper. Oh well.

Install the carseat now if you have one with a base, so it's done and not something you have to do in the hospital parking lot.

Change and since you'll need them, bigger pads. A handy hint if you do have a c-section is to have some panties that will sit right there and then fold a long thick pad in half long ways and use the panties to hold it against the stitches. With both kids I had a section and issues, not fun, but that trick helped a lot.

Members online

No members online now.