People skills

I was taking Rolyx for a very short walk today, mostly it was just to get some fresh air [wouldn't even really classify it as a walk]....I wasn't going further than a half block, just strolling and checking out the lovely day.

I didn't get far when some neighbors pulled up and wave me over. The two ladies did well, they stood back and let Ro come up to them...which he did instantly with tail wagging. I've worked hard on his jumping and pawing people, though he's not perfect...didn't jump or paw once.

But the guy with them, claiming to be a dog know it all, goes in head first. Everything he did was improper and not to mention rude. Ro went up to greet him and he starts trying to play grab him, even tugging on his ears and trying to squish his face. When I meet a dog, my first instinct isn't to start poking and grabbing at the dog to encourage play...not even close. Fact is, Ros tail went down super quick and he started flinching and walking away from the guy...to me, that would of been my first cue to back off. Ro would come back to see the other ladies who he took more kindly too, and the guy would get overbearing again and start grabbing on him.

And I can't help but get annoyed when they are telling my dog needs work with people...Ro wasn't doing anything wrong, he wasn't hopping or jumping on them. He went up to say hi, leaned against their legs for pets and moved on. The only one he was acting skiddish and funny with was the guy, and I honestly have never seen him behave like that with other people, until today.

Anyhow, just venting....sorry so long.

Toller_08

Yep, people are stupid. That's why I don't allow a lot of people to meet my dogs out in public unless they look relaxed and normal. The Dobermans are awesome at tolerating stupid, but it annoys me and so I'd rather avoid it. And Dance, well, the last thing she needs is for some idiot to grab her or high pitch baby talk her right in her face. Somebody greeted Keira really rough last year and I told him I didn't appreciate that and that he was lucky my dog was so easy going. And he didn't ask my permission either in the first place - just reached out and grabbed her. So I was already mad. Then he told me that big dogs like her like being rough housed with and that I should get her used to it. Good thing Keira is pretty well unflappable and did nothing more than look at the guy like he has 6 heads, but still... who does that? My first instinct upon meeting a dog is not to start wrestling with it.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
There are a lot of weirdos out there that think they are dog savvy but clearly aren't. We had a former neighbor that was constantly trying to make friends with Harry (who wasn't friends with anybody outside the family) while simultaneously pointing out that a 60 lbs "shepherd" wasn't so scary. Eventually his stupidity ended up with him getting nailed in the chest when he was looming over the fence at Harry. I was freaked out thinking that he would call and report it, but then I realized that Mr. Macho probably wouldn't want to admit that the tiny shepherd bit his manboob.

I forgot to mention, at the end of our conversation he was down grabbing Ro's feet too...I kind of give him a look. He's like, "I check the feet all the time to make sure they aren't cracking." Uh ok...does he not see the trimmed nails and realize I handle the feet on a regular basis?

lol staf, I think a bite to the manboob would be a bit much to admit to anyone, but you would hope the guy saw he was in the wrong. This guy today was a lot like that, knew everything about dogs and could do no wrong. Blamed it on Ro's people skills when he started flinching and avoiding him...I felt like telling him how would you like it if some stranger came up to you and started pulling your ears?

And Toller, I have considered not allowing more people to meet Ro out in public, but am unsure how to go about it exactly. I think I need to learn to be more assertive as well, make it clearer I am uncomfortable with their behavior with my dogs. I just wish people had common sense. They can't have any if they just walk up to your dog, don't ask and just start to rough house them. That guy with your dog was lucky keira was tolerant.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
This is why I'm just not nice to people anymore. I would have asked him to stop, and if he didn't, I would have informed that he needed to remove his hands from my private property immediately.

The only thing that I've found works with the know-it-alls is something along the lines of, "He's my dog and I don't care whether or not he wants you to touch his feet or not, so please stop." Sometimes you can take them down a peg by pointing out that you don't CARE if they don't like your dog's behavior.

This is why I'm just not nice to people anymore. I would have asked him to stop, and if he didn't, I would have informed that he needed to remove his hands from my private property immediately.

The only thing that I've found works with the know-it-alls is something along the lines of, "He's my dog and I don't care whether or not he wants you to touch his feet or not, so please stop." Sometimes you can take them down a peg by pointing out that you don't CARE if they don't like your dog's behavior.
I definitely need to learn to be more assertive, and stop being so polite. Originally I went in thinking it would be good socialization for Ro, and honestly...HE did great even when the guy was being a block head. But I should of got more assertive or at least made an excuse to get him out of there. I know one thing for sure, I will not be going that direction of those neighbors if I see they are there.

Members online

No members online now.