Newbie with a few Questions

jnc1119

Hello All,
We are new to these forums. It is nice to meet you all (in advance)
We have a puppy Golden Doodle or Goldy Poo, named Turbo.
He is a good dog mostly, but it is difficult to train him. We also have a very needy Italian Greyhound, Benny. He was our fist dog, and is used to be the king of the house.
We also have an ex-racer, Tyler, He is a bit shy.
We got Turbo about 6 months ago. He is about 9 months old and weighs about 85 pounds.
We are having a difficult time with him. He is the most messy dog around. He eats dirt, slugs and loves to play in puddles. He should be white, but usually comes in the house almost black...
When anyone enters the house he jumps on them. He gets very excited and won't leave them alone. Because of his size, it gets to be annoying. In addition, there are two other dogs who want to say hello, yet wait patiently. That doesn't give us any chance.
When we come home, he gets excited and sctratches on the windows and doors.
When all the dogs go out, he play-fights with Tyler the whole time.
We don't know how to stop him. If we try to reprimand we have to use his name, then he ends up not responding to his name...
Does anyone have any suggestions?
:mad:

Turbo, hmmm? Sounds like you gave him the right name. That, or he's doing his best to live up to his name.

Sounds like he could use the NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) training that Serena recommends. The salient point is that your dog must do something to earn everything; food, attention, walks, etc. It can be as simple as accomplishing a successful sit or lay down, but you have to be consistent.

Serena can explain it in much better detail. If she doesn't pick up on this thread in the next day or so, send her a private message.

agilitydobemom

agilitydobemom
I agree with Serena and Renee that you should employ the NILIF training meathod for your dog it takes alot of work and consistency but it is a miracle way to train your dog and it works good luck

Brattina88

Here's my suggestion for verbally repremending dogs in a multi-dog home
(with positive reinforcement attatched lol)

Wipe the word "no" off of your word bank

Assign each dog with a different word such as 'eh-eh, wrong, or stop

Use the word to startle or stop the dog from doing something immeadiatly

Get you're dog to look at you when you say his name with a little 'training'. Say "Turbo," and when he looks pop a treat in his mouth. He'll learn to look at you when you say his name quickly.

The next time he is play wrestling, for example:
"Stop!" If the dog even pauses say his name to get his attention and ask him to sit or something and treat. He'll learn that you'd rather him sit or come than wrestle, and he'll get more treats/attention for it. The whole wrestling thing, if he's playing, sounds like he's being a pup. ;) You might have to teach him "That's Enough"

Great advice, Brattina! Kharma is beginning to hesitate (barely) when she's in herding mode when she hears "dammit" and we had a real breakthrough today. Silly me; I should've thought of it before! I asked her sharply, "where are your manners?" and she came and sat down for me. That's what Bimmer has taught both Kharma and Shiva. He's a far superior trainer to me. ;) It may never work again, but I'm certainly going to try it again! Little Brat! :rolleyes:

jnc1119

Thanks for all the great advice. I will work on it with them and keep you all posted.

Members online

No members online now.