How to feed Marrow Bones

Nanners

I just bought some marrow bones or my 15 mth Shih Tzu. Every time he visits my mom or sister inlaw, he steals their dogs bones, so I figured it's time for his own. I'm a marrow bone "virgin"... :confused: How do you feed these to your dogs? I bought them frozen from the butcher. Do I just give it to him frozen? thawed? boiled? or it doesn't matter?

Saje

Island dweller
What are you calling marrow bones since all bones have marrow? I feed soft bones like chicken necks and backs and pork necks... To start with I just give them one and hold onto it to make sure they chew it. Once I'm sure they are chewing I add more to their diet.

If you are talking about weightbearing bones that they just gnaw on but don't eat you can just give them one, supervised, and the'll gnaw it clean and then you toss it. These bones they can chip a tooth on so watch carefully.

Nanners

Beef Marrow Soup Bones. I read other threads saying people feed these to their dogs but I just don't know if I'm supposed to thaw them cuz they're frozen or if I have to boil/cook them first cuz they're raw.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I think by marrow bones you mean the clean, smallish white bones that are just full of soft marrow? These are ok to feed, as long as your dog is not going overboard and you supervise, chipping a tooth shouldn't be a problem. Definitely do not allow him to lick out all of that marrow, it'll upset his tummy VERY much to go from zero marrow to that much all at once. I recommend, for small breeds like himself, a chicken or turkey leg for a good meaty meal and chewing because they can fully digest the bone and it does not pose a danger to teeth.

Oh wait, I just noticed it's soup bones you're talking about! :p Soup bones are very big for a pup his size! As long as they have some meat on them, it should be fine for a short session of recreational chewing. DON'T cook it, at all! You can dip it in hot water for a few seconds, if it makes you feel better, but I just thaw raw bones in the fridge and give them to my dogs as is. Watch him and be sure he isn't chewing too vigorously, if he is the bone should be taken away. It can be re-fridged or frozen and given at another time as long as you keep an eye on his chewing.

Nanners

Well we bought the smallest ones we could find. The ones he steals from my family's dogs are bigger so I think he'll be ok. Just didn't know how to feed him. Will the meat on this bone hurt his stomach at all?

Thanks for your help!

Saje

Island dweller
Nanners said:
Beef Marrow Soup Bones. I read other threads saying people feed these to their dogs but I just don't know if I'm supposed to thaw them cuz they're frozen or if I have to boil/cook them first cuz they're raw.
Those are probably the weight bearing bones and they definitely can chip a tooth on them. Feed ALL bones raw as the cooked ones splinter and are much more dangerous. Just supervise and you should be fine.

Members online

No members online now.