Diagnosed with lymphoma

Doberluv said:
Bonnie, my Lab was on Rimadyl which was later discovered to be very hard on the liver. She, however only had about 1 or two bottles. Her arthritis isn't too bad. In fact, lately it seems a lot better...not as gimpy.

Actually, the vet said it could be a lot of things that caused the liver problem. We'd have to go through a mirad of tests to find out for sure, MRI's, biopsies, scopes....could be a tumor that is small and of course, didn't show up on the x-rays. But my feeling is at almost 14 years of age, it's not worth putting her through all that.

Thank you for your kind words. I just don't want her to suffer and I want her to have a rip roarin good time for the time she has left. Today she did outside in the snow. She was really tearin' things up. So she does feel good most of the time....for now.

Phenobarbitol can really be nasty stuff to the liver, but it does seem to control seizures pretty well. That is good that your dog did fine on it all this time.

I'll keep your dog in my thoughts and prayers too. This must be hard on you. Cancer is terrible. My brother has a brain tumor and is going down hill very fast also. I hate this...my brother and my dog. Well....(sigh) such is life.
Oh, Carrie... I'm so sorry about your brother, as well as Bonnie. My thoughts and prayers are with you as well. It seems like when it rains, it pours, doesn't it? I've lost my Dad, my Yogi (lab) and Catfish, my white cat (15 years old, though!) within a very short time. Now Eli. But, as you say, such is life (sigh)...

Doberluv

Oh my....you've been through it big time lately. It does pour. But then the sun comes out again. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Well, the pathology report came in on Saturday. My Eli's got possibly an aggressive lymphoma and seems to be going downhill quickly just over the weekend. I'm taking him in for our first chemo treatment in the morning on Monday. My Mom will take him home while I go to work so we can monitor any reaction. If there's a reaction, I don't want to keep him on it. He doesn't deserve to feel sick when he is sick. I'm just taking baby steps. His eyes are cloudy and he didn't eat all his dinner Sat. night. He ate tonight, though. All the poor baby wants to do is sleep. And he's VERY stiff. I can tell he just doesn't feel good. :-(

My heart is going out to you and Eli. This is a hard time. I'll be keeping you and your Eli in my thoughts.

When my Gonzo cat was diagnosed with FIV (it seems like it was only a few months ago, but it was several years, before there were vaccines and even before the veterinary community was aware it was spreading so quickly) we treated him, with the thought that as long as he wanted to live we'd do everything possible for him. He was with us for another year before he drifted off in his sleep on Easter morning shortly after five a.m. He taught me that every single moment is precious.

Renee750il said:
My heart is going out to you and Eli. This is a hard time. I'll be keeping you and your Eli in my thoughts.

When my Gonzo cat was diagnosed with FIV (it seems like it was only a few months ago, but it was several years, before there were vaccines and even before the veterinary community was aware it was spreading so quickly) we treated him, with the thought that as long as he wanted to live we'd do everything possible for him. He was with us for another year before he drifted off in his sleep on Easter morning shortly after five a.m. He taught me that every single moment is precious.
Renee... thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry to hear about Gonzo. I think Eli will tell me when he's ready. We've got a very close bond and I can read his eyes when they look into mine. His "brother", a yellow lab I rescued, succombed to cancer just a year ago. I'm comforted to know that they will reunite at Rainbow Bridge when the time comes. And I will reunite with all my departed babies when the time comes.

Barb04

Super Moderator
You and Eli are in our prayers. Cherish every moment you have with Eli and know he will live on in your heart.

Just an update... I couldn't take Eli in for his first treatment this morning because they were so fully scheduled with surgeries. Therefore, he will be going in first thing Tuesday morning. They want me to leave him and the procedure will take about 45 minutes. Then they want to monitor him and I can't pick him up until after noon. I took a personal day at work so I can camp out at the vet's and get my baby when it's time. I'll keep you posted. BTW... he at ALL his dinner tonight and seems to be in good spirits!

I'm keeping a stiff upper lip through it all. As long as fuzzy-red-head stays happy and positive, so will I. He's laying outside on a snow drift at -5F right now... absolutely loves it. But I need to MAKE him come inside and go to bed on our warm-warm bed (mine) or he would stay out there all night! He loves the cold weather, believe it or not. And he's not even an outside dog... He's slept in his Mamma's bed every night since a pup...

Hi, everyone. Today was Eli's first chemo treatment. Took him in at 8 this morning and getting ready to leave and pick the baby up. The vet will discuss everything with me at 3. He's on the COP protocol -- Cyclophosphamide, Prednisone, and the injection of Vincristine is what he gets at the clinic. The vet said the next 48 hours are crucial in knowing of reactions, etc. And to watch for red pee. That would be bad. He's on 7 weeks of therapy. I'll let you know how he's doing...
Amy + Eli + Hunter

Eli's home!

He was so cute and happy when I picked him up! Vet said it went very well. No allergic reactions, etc. Got him home and he was SO THIRSTY. Then kind of walked around a bit then zonked out BIG TIME snoring and everything. Hunter was beside himself to have his brother back. He just moped around all day until Eli came back. Then wanted to just play - play - play with me while Eli was sleeping. Now Eli's up again, went outside to enjoy the cold and snow for a bit, now back in, and Hunter and Eli are kissing on each other and cleaning each others' ears. Precious moments...

So far so good, I guess! I hope Eli has his appetite. I'll know in a bit at suppertime...

Renee750il said:
We're with you and your guys, Amy!
Thanks, Renee! He was very hungry and ate all his supper! Zonked out again. Will pot him in about an hour then load him in my bed for the night! :cool:

That is great that he has handled the 1st treatment so well! And you know when they have an appetite they are feeling pretty good. Thanks for the updates!

He's out in his snow drift again.... feeling pretty good. Need to beg him in for beddies. Supposed to get more snow tonight... which he will love (not that he's an outside dog, he just loves the cold and the snow when he's out)! I'm going to come home at lunch and check on him tomorrow and to let him out. Thanks for all the support, you all. I'll keep you posted...
Amy + Eli + Hunter

bubbatd

Sounds like you and Eli are on the right track !!! We're behind you all they way!

Members online